Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sea fishing advice, please.

Sea fishing advice, please.

Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sea fishing advice, please.

Once thing I would like to do when (if) we move to NZ is some sea fishing.
I really enjoyed fishing off a boat in Doubtful Sound a few years back - fish fresh from the sea to the table in an hour tastes fantastic.

I do have some boating experience - mainly dinghy sailing but with some off shore cruising in sail boats - but I haven't owned a sea going motor boat.

In Suffolk there is some sea fishing but as far as I can see the boats just motor off shore then anchor up on the underwater sand banks and sit there all day.
Fishing from the shore seems to involve a lot of cold weather equipment and long hours of not catching anything. Did a bit of that as a yoof and it is really an endurance test.
Done some coarse (why aren't the **** fish biting!!) fishing in rivers, again as a yoof but never caught much and what you do catch is often not suitable for eating.

So - what am I looking for?
Something which offers much the same as the Bay of Islands.
That is, a mix of islands you can land and camp on, bays and beaches, varied fishing with a good chance of catching something to eat, fishing off the rocks as well.
The boating would not just be for fishing but for exploring and general cruising about, with just enough space for two to sleep on.

The coast around should have plenty of shelter and no dangerous river/harbour entries. Ideally the ability to cruise for day or more along the coast without hostile shores. Easy launching and recovery of boat, plus sheltered moorings if required.

So far:

Bay of Islands (obviously)

Coromandel Town has most of this, but the silting up of the bay makes launching and recovery a problem. Is it safe to cruise to Auckland?

Thames seems to have good launching, but is just a muddy river mouth (or at least it was a few weeks back). Most people seem to cruise up the coast to Coromandel to fish around the mussel beds. 50k by road, a bit less without the bends, but probably a couple of hours to get there.

Golden Bay looks possible, but an isolated place to live. No obvious immediate islands. Is it safe to cruise the coast as far as Picton? The Cook Straights have a dodgy reputation.

In general the East Coast looks leisure boat friendly and the West Coast a surf pounded wilderness.

So - any fisher people out there who can recommend a good location?
Auckland has most of this but damn, it is expensive to live and the traffic is a nightmare.

Oh, and I'm starting to wonder if the price of boats in NZ is like the price of motor homes; high enough to justify shipping one out from the UK.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sea fishing advice, please.

Golden Bay to Picton - very dodgy as there are some bad capes/currents to navigate - on a good day ok.

Boats - yes (a friend is bringing one from Italy and will still make a profit) but getting it clean to MAF standards and ideally you should own (and use it) for 12 months to avoid tax.

Peter
Old Jan 19th 2016, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

But you've been everywhere and seen everything in NZ you should already know this stuff
Old Jan 19th 2016, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
But you've been everywhere and seen everything in NZ you should already know this stuff
You are such a naughty boy .

Well I'd say the Whangaparaoa Peninsula but that's in the Auckland region, so that's out. A couple of our friends have boats and frequently go out to various islands. Would love to be able to do that but a) no way can we afford a boat and b) I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of looking after it.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat

So - what am I looking for?
Something which offers much the same as the Bay of Islands.
That is, a mix of islands you can land and camp on, bays and beaches, varied fishing with a good chance of catching something to eat, fishing off the rocks as well.
The boating would not just be for fishing but for exploring and general cruising about, with just enough space for two to sleep on.

The coast around should have plenty of shelter and no dangerous river/harbour entries. Ideally the ability to cruise for day or more along the coast without hostile shores. Easy launching and recovery of boat, plus sheltered moorings if required.

So far:

Bay of Islands (obviously)

Coromandel Town has most of this, but the silting up of the bay makes launching and recovery a problem. Is it safe to cruise to Auckland?

Thames seems to have good launching, but is just a muddy river mouth (or at least it was a few weeks back). Most people seem to cruise up the coast to Coromandel to fish around the mussel beds. 50k by road, a bit less without the bends, but probably a couple of hours to get there.

Golden Bay looks possible, but an isolated place to live. No obvious immediate islands. Is it safe to cruise the coast as far as Picton? The Cook Straights have a dodgy reputation.

In general the East Coast looks leisure boat friendly and the West Coast a surf pounded wilderness.

So - any fisher people out there who can recommend a good location?
Auckland has most of this but damn, it is expensive to live and the traffic is a nightmare.
Auckland is the obvious choice, it is afterall 'the city of sails' your daughter lives here, it has the Hauraki Gulg with multitudes of choice of bays and islands to take your boat on day trips etc. I thought you were looking to retire? If so why is traffic in Auckland even an issue? It's perfectly possible to figure your living arrangements and life in such a way that you're close enough to 'Auckland' without ever having go to there as such, it's hardly the centre of the universe and like most people we know unless you need to be in or across the centre of town by x time every day then you can pretty much avoid the motorway traffic. We hardly ever cross the bridge except on high days and holidays, going to the airport (rare event) or visiting people or places on weekends.

The main harbour is of course has a major shipping channel and you have to be wary of massive container and cruise ships but they're pretty easy to spot. LOL

If you don't have to work you can be a bit more creative about where you live (cheaper places further out) you could live up the coast Orewa / Whangapaeroa or somewhere else out in the wops down south or Eastern suburbs and never have to go out in rush hour(s).

What about Waiheke Island? Although it does have reputation as a playground for the rich and famous gin palaces, at the other end of the scale there are 'ordinary' permanent homes which are pretty reasonable.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
You are such a naughty boy .

Well I'd say the Whangaparaoa Peninsula but that's in the Auckland region, so that's out.
When I lived on the beach at Arkles, there was always a boat or two
anchored up overnight in the bay, I once had to tell someone off for
using my boat ramp, cheeky buggers !!
Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland - we spent long enough this visit to realise it was not for us. You can avoid the worst of the traffic if you pick the time you travel but this is not far from being trapped in your house for part of every day. Our daughter lives near Mount Albert at the moment and there is very little infrastructure - everyone gets in the car for everything. We seemed to be continually searching for a Countdown on a traffic friendly route. Public transport is not up to the standard of e.g. Sydney as far as we could tell.

We have friends who used to live in Maurangi Bay (very nice and with a village centre by the beach as well) and have recently moved to a new house in Silverdale, near Orewa. Those areas are close enough to Auckland, and nice enough, to be priced out of our budget. There is a huge amount of development along SH1 but this seems to be expensive housing with multi-car garages and no village centre. So again, not for us. Anything above $500k is pushing our limits and what can you get for that in a nice area anywhere near Auckland?

We want what we have at the moment - quiet road within walking distance of the shops and public transport, plus easy access to the countryside for walking without having to use a car. Near a beach would be nice as well.

So something like Russel or Coromandel Town, really, or Takaka for a bit more of the hippy vibe.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

When I lived on the beach at Arkles, there was always a boat or two
anchored up overnight in the bay, I once had to tell someone off for
using my boat ramp, cheeky buggers !!
Thanks - just had a look at houses for sale and the prices seem pretty reasonable for what you get that close to Auckland, although there seems to be virtually nothing below $500k and you jump straight into large family houses.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you go there and why did you leave?

We like the area around Shakespear National Park.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

There were very personal reasons for moving there and leaving.
When I left Arkles I moved to Devonport, which was nice but it
was still Auckland and by then I was completely over the place

Its been 3 years since I left Auckland and prices have got
Sillier by the month since we moved away
I don't think there is a single property within the Super City boundaries
for under $500k, that would include everywhere from Whangarei down to the Bombays

Like so many on here who have already turned their back on it,
I would strongly suggest looking somewhere, anywhere south of the Bombay's
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

There were very personal reasons for moving there and leaving.When I left Arkles I moved to Devonport, which was nice but itwas still Auckland and by then I was completely over the place Its been 3 years since I left Auckland and prices have got Sillier by the month since we moved awayI don't think there is a single property within the Super City boundariesfor under $500k, that would include everywhere from Whangarei down to the Bombays Like so many on here who have already turned their back on it,I would strongly suggest looking somewhere, anywhere south of the Bombay's
When you have middle income earners needing 8 to 9 times income to "service" (meaning interest only) the property they "live" in (forget the spent money on cars boats and trips)
You do have to question unless your a sheep?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Forgive me, I simply do not understand your reply.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I understood sheep.
Not sure about the other words though.