Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Scouting in New Zealand 'dib dib'

Scouting in New Zealand 'dib dib'

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Question Scouting in New Zealand 'dib dib'

Hello guys

My boys age 8 and 11 are both currently heavily involved with cubs and scouts here in the UK.
We are due to move to the other side in January 2010

I was wondering if anyone has any information on

1 - how big scouts are in NZ
2 - are the helpers checked at all (like our CRB checks)
3 - Does anyone know if there are any around Cambridge/Hamilton
4 - how easy/hard is it to get them enroled
5 - does anyone have any of their children enroled currently - if so what do they think of it

I have been on the internet and i know they are seemingly well represented there but how widespead the 'scout huts' are is a different matter.

I would like them to be able to continue doing something they get such a lot out of here and also for them to be able to make more friends and see a bit of the community life through the kind of projects they do (if they do them like here)

Any help would be gratefully received - good and bad

All the best
Psycho x
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Re: Scouting in New Zealand 'dib dib'

I can't speak for the North Island, but here on the South Island scouts are huge! In Kaiapoi, just north of Chirstchurch there is a scouting museum which is quite an interesting visit.

Our little lad is old enough to join th Keas (pre-cubs) ... and has been on the waiting list since about March, and still there is no place for him in the local club. We went along for a meet, and it seemed well organised - they have lots of outings and planned activities.

Sorry - I have no idea if the leaders are police checked, but I can say that nearly all the parents were involved with the club.

Maybe someone with older kids, and actively going to scouts will have some more info for you,

Lou
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
I can't speak for the North Island, but here on the South Island scouts are huge! In Kaiapoi, just north of Chirstchurch there is a scouting museum which is quite an interesting visit.

Our little lad is old enough to join th Keas (pre-cubs) ... and has been on the waiting list since about March, and still there is no place for him in the local club. We went along for a meet, and it seemed well organised - they have lots of outings and planned activities.

Sorry - I have no idea if the leaders are police checked, but I can say that nearly all the parents were involved with the club.

Maybe someone with older kids, and actively going to scouts will have some more info for you,

Lou
Thanks for that - may have to be making contact soon then to get their names down.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
Hello guys

My boys age 8 and 11 are both currently heavily involved with cubs and scouts here in the UK.

5 - does anyone have any of their children enroled currently - if so what do they think of it

I have been on the internet and i know they are seemingly well represented there but how widespead the 'scout huts' are is a different matter.

I would like them to be able to continue doing something they get such a lot out of here and also for them to be able to make more friends and see a bit of the community life through the kind of projects they do (if they do them like here)

All the best
Psycho x
http://www.scouts.org.nz/
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello guys

All the best
Psycho x
I'd of thought anything between 3' 6" & 4' 8"
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'd of thought anything between 3' 6" & 4' 8"

Very funny - and not at all helpful - go have a word with yourself and come back with a better answer

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Very funny - and not at all helpful - go have a word with yourself and come back with a better answer

sorry

Note to self: Must do better in future
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sorry

Note to self: Must do better in future
Have you been on the sherbert??
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Have you been on the sherbert??
I was last night but a bit too early for me this morning, especially as I'm off to the gym shortly & need to impress my lovely PT
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou

Lou

This is great to hear about Scouting in ChCh! Do you know if it covers girls too? My eldest daughter (5) is due to start Rainbows next week, so we're hoping to get her involved in something similar in NZ
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was last night but a bit too early for me this morning, especially as I'm off to the gym shortly & need to impress my lovely PT
Good luck with that - do 10 for me - of whatever hurts the most
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:52 am
Just Joined

ninefish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave77
This is great to hear about Scouting in ChCh! Do you know if it covers girls too? My eldest daughter (5) is due to start Rainbows next week, so we're hoping to get her involved in something similar in NZ
Hi guys, I'm a Group Leader in Scouts and work with the Regional {and National} teams for Scouts New Zealand.

Scouts is definitely going gang busters here, for girls and boys from 6 to 26

ALL the leaders involved in Scouts are checked by the Police before being granted a full warrant in New Zealand

There's unofficial waiting lists, but it's not condoned by the regional teams as no one really waits do they?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ninefish
Hi guys, I'm a Group Leader in Scouts and work with the Regional {and National} teams for Scouts New Zealand.

ALL the leaders involved in Scouts are checked by the Police before being granted a full warrant in New Zealand

There's unofficial waiting lists, but it's not condoned by the regional teams as no one really waits do they?
Thats great, thanks for the info
Old Sep 24th 2009, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Thanks bellasmum - i have emailed the regional co-ordinator from the link on the site and have already received the email contact back for the guy i need in my area.

Thanks for your help x
Psycho
Old Sep 24th 2009, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninefish

Only a scout leader would use the term 'gang busters'

I see this is your first post - i feel honoured that you broke cover just for me

Thank you for your help its really appreciated.

What with your answer about 'CRB checking' and vitals answer about the size of scouts in NZ i nearly have all the info i required

Thanks again
Psycho x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.