Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Scottish & New to South Auckland

Scottish & New to South Auckland

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Superwoman x 5 will become famous soon enoughSuperwoman x 5 will become famous soon enough
Smile Scottish & New to South Auckland

HI Everyone we are a Scottish family who arrived on 25th August 2008 we have settled in Botony area in South Auckland.
I am a mum with 5 kids hence Superwoman...lol.... I have 4 who came over to NZ and my eldest is in the Army back in Germany,he is 19yrs,then we have 12yr,then 9 yr then twins 3 and half so my time is busy with the family thats why we are here to have a better lifestlye for the kids,Be great to here from any other families who have done the journey to NZ or who are shiny new like me going through all the emotions be good to talk to someone who knows how I feel. Loving NZ cant believe we are here...We are so lucky to have this chance to live the kiwi way and we are trying to fit in we have been to a b,b,q and made a few kiwi pals who are fantastic and so friendly but be great to speak to someone who has moved out as well, hope to here from you all soon.
Thanks for your time julie :-)
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish & New to South Auckland

Originally Posted by Superwoman x 5
HI Everyone we are a Scottish family who arrived on 25th August 2008 we have settled in Botony area in South Auckland.
I am a mum with 5 kids hence Superwoman...lol.... I have 4 who came over to NZ and my eldest is in the Army back in Germany,he is 19yrs,then we have 12yr,then 9 yr then twins 3 and half so my time is busy with the family thats why we are here to have a better lifestlye for the kids,Be great to here from any other families who have done the journey to NZ or who are shiny new like me going through all the emotions be good to talk to someone who knows how I feel. Loving NZ cant believe we are here...We are so lucky to have this chance to live the kiwi way and we are trying to fit in we have been to a b,b,q and made a few kiwi pals who are fantastic and so friendly but be great to speak to someone who has moved out as well, hope to here from you all soon.
Hi Julie

Welcome to the forum, we are also from Scotland but opted for the South Island although I have been to Botony a few times on business, its a real up and coming area now and only 20 min to rainbows end if you want ot take the kids for a day out.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We also arrived on the 25th August... we could have almost been on the same flight but we left from Birmingham with Emirates.

We are on the North Shore and are loving it here and like you can't believe we are here. There is just the 2 of us and our 2 cats. We came out on a work permit, which route did you take?

OH works in the CBD as a Senior Developer in IT and I'm a housewife at present. I have met friends too but no Kiwi ones yet! Don't know if you are the same but because its early spring and summer is around the corner, Christmas does not feel like its next month!! Seeing BBQs, garden furniture, summer clothes etc is something we have to get used to but we are looking forward to it.

Hope you are settling in well and the kids are enjoying it too.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Superwoman x 5 will become famous soon enoughSuperwoman x 5 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Hi Julie

Welcome to the forum, we are also from Scotland but opted for the South Island although I have been to Botony a few times on business, its a real up and coming area now and only 20 min to rainbows end if you want ot take the kids for a day out.
Thanks we have been finding the local beaches they are good makes a big difference to see sunshine !!!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Scottish & New to South Auckland

Originally Posted by nukiwi
We also arrived on the 25th August... we could have almost been on the same flight but we left from Birmingham with Emirates.

We are on the North Shore and are loving it here and like you can't believe we are here. There is just the 2 of us and our 2 cats. We came out on a work permit, which route did you take?

OH works in the CBD as a Senior Developer in IT and I'm a housewife at present. I have met friends too but no Kiwi ones yet! Don't know if you are the same but because its early spring and summer is around the corner, Christmas does not feel like its next month!! Seeing BBQs, garden furniture, summer clothes etc is something we have to get used to but we are looking forward to it.

Hope you are settling in well and the kids are enjoying it too.
We came over on Emirates flight from Glasgow.
Some flight.. very long.... you dont realize how far away you are until you do the flight!!
Hubby on a work to residence visa for 2 yrs so fingers crossed we will make it to the application for residency?
Christmas whats that? got a shock to see the xmas decorations going up at the local mall...me it feels like summer time will take a while to get used to the different seasons but we are loving it so far and with the older kids settled at school and the twins names down for kindi, I do take them to a local playgroup thats where I met my kiwi mums they also have twins so we have plenty to talk about around a coffee.
We have been told North sore is very nice area. We came to Auckland as that is where Hubbys job is but we are loving the whole NZ adventure you only live once....
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We came over on Emirates flight from Glasgow.
Some flight.. very long.... you dont realize how far away you are until you do the flight!!
Hubby on a work to residence visa for 2 yrs so fingers crossed we will make it to the application for residency?
Christmas whats that? got a shock to see the xmas decorations going up at the local mall...me it feels like summer time will take a while to get used to the different seasons but we are loving it so far and with the older kids settled at school and the twins names down for kindi, I do take them to a local playgroup thats where I met my kiwi mums they also have twins so we have plenty to talk about around a coffee.
We have been told North sore is very nice area. We came to Auckland as that is where Hubbys job is but we are loving the whole NZ adventure you only live once....
Emirates are excellent aren't they, and yes its a long long flight. I guess its much easier making friends when you have kids but I hope to make some Kiwi friends soon.

Hubby was just short of the points to do WTR so we have a work permit for 3 years and like you hope that we get to do our PR. He is eligible under the skilled migrant route but we have to wait until 1st September next year before we can apply. We also had to live where hubby's job is. We came out in July for 2 weeks for hubby to have interviews and we fell in love with the North Shore. He also had a job offer in Wellington but liked the Auckland job better and he is loving it.

We are renting so we want to move around until we find where to settle.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:17 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Hi Julie

We came over on the Emirates flight 1 week after you, but we were on holiday for the wettest August ever in Scotland. We (wife, 10yr old daughter and 9 yrs old son) all live in Dannemora right across from the Cinema side of the Mall.

We are from Scotland, well I am from Erskine, wife from Newlands moved here 3yrs ago and found it very hard to settle, PM me and we can have a chat call us and pop round.

Andy
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nukiwi
Emirates are excellent aren't they, and yes its a long long flight. I guess its much easier making friends when you have kids but I hope to make some Kiwi friends soon.

Hubby was just short of the points to do WTR so we have a work permit for 3 years and like you hope that we get to do our PR. He is eligible under the skilled migrant route but we have to wait until 1st September next year before we can apply. We also had to live where hubby's job is. We came out in July for 2 weeks for hubby to have interviews and we fell in love with the North Shore. He also had a job offer in Wellington but liked the Auckland job better and he is loving it.

We are renting so we want to move around until we find where to settle.
If you want a scottish pal I would be happy to have you as a friend to talk to sorry if I made you feel left out not having kids .
It must be harder for you not having playgroup ,school to go to meet folks the offers there if you want we are all in the same boat
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by theduke
Hi Julie

We came over on the Emirates flight 1 week after you, but we were on holiday for the wettest August ever in Scotland. We (wife, 10yr old daughter and 9 yrs old son) all live in Dannemora right across from the Cinema side of the Mall.

We are from Scotland, well I am from Erskine, wife from Newlands moved here 3yrs ago and found it very hard to settle, PM me and we can have a chat call us and pop round.

Andy
Fantastic Andy and I see your a Rangers man...lol Hubby will be happy
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

If you want a scottish pal I would be happy to have you as a friend to talk to sorry if I made you feel left out not having kids .
It must be harder for you not having playgroup ,school to go to meet folks the offers there if you want we are all in the same boat
No you didn't make me feel left out... I was told at a very young age that I could not have kids, so at least I have had years to adjust. At least I have travelled to lots of places around the world, something I guess I would not have been able to afford if I 'd had kids.

You are not that far away from the North Shore so if you are up this way I would be more than happy to meet up
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:11 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Fantastic Andy and I see your a Rangers man...lol Hubby will be happy
I am the Vice President of the Rangers Supporters Club in New Zealand, we have monthly meet ups and your hubby is more than welcome to get himself along. They are in the Paddington Bar at the start of each month, $10 per year fees we play games and have a Setanta connection for live games.

Are your kids boys n girls if so what ages and what are they into, i.e. soccer, netball, horses etc etc.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

lock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant future

Hiya and welcome to NZ

I moved from Glasgow 2 years this month and living just up the road from Botony so will be only too happy to meet up with you. I have two girls 10 years and 19 years. You have come at a good time with summer arriving and trust me you will love the family atmosphere. PM me would love to meet up with you. Cheers Christine
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lock4
Hiya and welcome to NZ

I moved from Glasgow 2 years this month and living just up the road from Botony so will be only too happy to meet up with you. I have two girls 10 years and 19 years. You have come at a good time with summer arriving and trust me you will love the family atmosphere. PM me would love to meet up with you. Cheers Christine
Thanks Christine your right about the family atmosphere it was fantastic last night seeing all the fireworks going off the kids were so excited!! WE have a b.b.q this weekend so I will PM you and we could meet up if you like sometime next week?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

lock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant future

Next week sounds good. Enjoy the barbi forecast for the weekend weather is good so far.