British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Scottish Couple - 18 months in Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/scottish-couple-18-months-auckland-843280/)

elgordon07 Sep 17th 2014 5:37 am

Scottish Couple - 18 months in Auckland

Hello,

My fiance and I moved from Scotland to Auckland 18 months ago and are loving NZ - a few things are more expensive and the wages aren't as great as the UK but the way of life in summer more than makes up for it! :)

The only trouble that we have is finding good friends here that are anything like us - we like to keep busy and are really missing our social life!! :(
I have had a few jobs here and met some people through work but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to meet new friends here as it's the only thing that we miss (apart from some foods!!) haha! :P
:thumbsup:

MrsFychan Sep 19th 2014 12:48 am

Re: Scottish Couple - 18 months in Auckland

join clubs, RSA. Where you live does it have a FB page?

Stevey1983 Sep 23rd 2014 5:57 am

what part of Auckland you live? were on the north shore, myself and wife here about 6 months and finding it hard to make good friends also but loving the place!

A Rush And A Push Sep 23rd 2014 6:11 am

Any particular interests? Tramping, cycling, movies etc? Meetup.com has lots of groups in Auckland

http://www.meetup.com/cities/nz/auckland/

kshurey Sep 23rd 2014 8:02 am

Originally Posted by elgordon07 (Post 11407851)
Hello,

My fiance and I moved from Scotland to Auckland 18 months ago and are loving NZ - a few things are more expensive and the wages aren't as great as the UK but the way of life in summer more than makes up for it! :)

The only trouble that we have is finding good friends here that are anything like us - we like to keep busy and are really missing our social life!! :(
I have had a few jobs here and met some people through work but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to meet new friends here as it's the only thing that we miss (apart from some foods!!) haha! :P

I've been here 8 years, south island and north. I suggest you forget the kiwi's they're cliquey, insular, and narrow minded. If you're not religious, don't have kids, or not obsessed with rugby your chances are slim to none of making any indigenous friends.Your best bet is fellow expats.
I'm getting out of this corpse of a country very soon and can't wait!

LauraNotts Sep 23rd 2014 9:21 am

Oops kshurey I'm sorry that you've had such a bad time of it and I hope you're happier once you're home. Obviously different people will have different experiences and once I got out the smaller centres I found it a lot easier to meet people.

I joined a roller derby league (which having no balance and two left feet I never thought I'd be good at and now absolutely love) and instantly found myself with a bunch of lovely people to hang out with. Friendships will always take time and I'm hopeful that I've made a good start on at least a couple.

Elgordon, you say people like you, do you mean same age/interests sort of thing or other couples? I guess the key is to be open minded, remember that when in Rome do as the Romans and just try a few things you might not otherwise have done. Being so far from home can feel really isolated and lonely, those feelings are completely natural and okay. Hopefully they'll come and go with increasing times of feeling settled but if not then remember no decision has to be permanent :)

DianaVB Sep 23rd 2014 9:49 pm

Hi Elgordon, hubby and I have also just arrived in Auckland - only two weeks ago, so we've been mostly busy sorting essentials out and haven't got around to meeting anyone yet.

We've had a look at joining a kayak club and also looked at the Meetup site (www.meetup.com). There seems to be quite a lot on there for all sort of interests!

We are in East Auckland by the way. If you fancy meeting up sometime, give us a shout! :-)

desperateBrit Sep 23rd 2014 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by kshurey (Post 11415051)
I've been here 8 years, south island and north. I suggest you forget the kiwi's they're cliquey, insular, and narrow minded. If you're not religious, don't have kids, or not obsessed with rugby your chances are slim to none of making any indigenous friends.Your best bet is fellow expats.
I'm getting out of this corpse of a country very soon and can't wait!

this is such a sad post. im so sorry your not happy in NZ, i hope that where ever you go after you leave, u find some happiness. fingers crossed for.:fingerscrossed: i would have been your friend :) x

kshurey Sep 25th 2014 1:45 am

Originally Posted by desperateBrit (Post 11416036)
this is such a sad post. im so sorry your not happy in NZ, i hope that where ever you go after you leave, u find some happiness. fingers crossed for.:fingerscrossed: i would have been your friend :) x

Many thanks for that, maybe I should just harden up!

The fact that the 'Scottish couple' who started this thread felt compelled to do so may just bear out what I've said ?

BEVS Sep 25th 2014 2:24 am

I don't know about the harden up thing. You feel what you feel . You've tried a couple of locations and not found either to be for you.

Have you & your wife now agreed to move on to somewhere else? From past posts I read she is a Kiwi. Perhaps Oz may be a place for you. If we were younger I would consider the Melbourne area. Although I would never truly call this place my home, I don't feel as badly as you do about it and we do have all manner of friends here now over ten years in .

Sorry for the off topic posts Elgordon.

Tango1 Sep 25th 2014 5:50 pm

I tried really hard to make kiwi mates when we first arrived over 7 years ago, and nothing really worked. I found if you weren't family or had been to school together it was a closed shop. So I gave up trying and my circle of mates is 95% ex Brits now we fish, talk sport and have BBQ's but only the odd kiwi comes along. Does not bother me at all, I tried and still give out open invitations in the office, but it can be difficult.

kshurey Sep 25th 2014 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tango1 (Post 11418516)
I tried really hard to make kiwi mates when we first arrived over 7 years ago, and nothing really worked. I found if you weren't family or had been to school together it was a closed shop. So I gave up trying and my circle of mates is 95% ex Brits now we fish, talk sport and have BBQ's but only the odd kiwi comes along. Does not bother me at all, I tried and still give out open invitations in the office, but it can be difficult.

Such a familiar story, we just can't be bothered with the place any more, this country is such a wasted opportunity.

kshurey Sep 25th 2014 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11417687)
I don't know about the harden up thing. You feel what you feel . You've tried a couple of locations and not found either to be for you.

Have you & your wife now agreed to move on to somewhere else? From past posts I read she is a Kiwi. Perhaps Oz may be a place for you. If we were younger I would consider the Melbourne area. Although I would never truly call this place my home, I don't feel as badly as you do about it and we do have all manner of friends here now over ten years in .

Sorry for the off topic posts Elgordon.

Hi, yes we're off to the UK, went back for the first time a couple of months ago, realised what I'd left behind.

alanmacc Sep 26th 2014 1:27 am

Originally Posted by elgordon07 (Post 11407851)
Hello,

Is it because they cant understand your accent :lol: (and I can say that because Im Scottish) apparently we talk funny ... lol and I have been here 7 years

And you miss some foods, let me think Scotch pies, square sausage, tattie scones ........

Keep your chin up you will just naturally fall into a circle of friends :thumbsup:

moving2NZ2013 Sep 26th 2014 3:31 am

I get what you say about kiwis they can be quite hard people. The people Iv met anyway. Lovely and friendly but just if like us Brits have moan about something you feel they're thinking.just get a grip lol