Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Scotland in NZ and Invercargill

Scotland in NZ and Invercargill

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: Scotland in NZ and Invercargill

We're also putting on a production this June of 'The Rocking Cave' written by one of NZ's most famous playwrights - James McNeish... which is causing some controversy as it deals with a real-life figure of a young girl who had an illegitimate child which was drowned...

... McNeish set the play in Waipu, but it's never been performed here (it has been attempted before in the 80s but was successfully opposed by the church).

It's been interesting examing the accents of the time, which are the sort of lilting, almost irish-sounding gaelic type rather than broad Scots...

x
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:13 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Wow, soulflour, that's fantastic. Actually Macleod and Waipu were the reason I posed the question. Do you know of Giant Mackaskill? There's a museum dedicated to him on Skye, where I believe his family are from, but the REAL museum is actually in (I think) BC (Canada, I hope, or I've been making it up all this time!!) where his family migrated, and he lived. He was part of that community you mention who left the area with Macleod for Australia.

Was just reading all of this recently and it got me thinking as I had always assumed that the majority of Scottish (and I'm mostly referring to Highlands, Islands, ie: Gaelic) influence in NZ was in the south of the South Island. Dunedin is the Gaelic name for Edinburgh. Invercargill etc. Even Stewart Island.

The reason I am asking: long (probably boring, haha!) story...I'm Australian. I recently returned from 3 years living on Skye. My course is on hold at the moment as I've just started a new job, but I am learning Gaelic via the Gaelic college on Skye. I am a history teacher (hence my interest in all this stuff) and my number one goal is to move back to Scotland. However, immigration dramas being what they are (I need a work permit, very annoying), I am stuck here for the time being.

I have been back for nearly 2 years and have had my beady eye on New Zealand all this time, firstly for it's connection to Scotland (stronger than Oz-Scotland) and secondly because it looks a hell of a lot more interesting to me than Australia.

I'm also hoping to redirect my teaching career into museum, heritage, public history and all that. I'm thinking it would be infinitely more productive to be doing this in New Zealand (with their connections to Gaelic, Highland, Scottish history) than in Australia. And I don't need a work permit for New Zealand so it's sort of my stepping stone (besides the fact I've always had an idea that I'd like to live there for a bit).

There's a hostel for sale in Invercargill and I hostel management was what I was doing on Skye...would be a very welcome lifestyle change and give me the opportunity to pursue study as well.

What sort of work are you doing in the museum?? I don't have any qualifications in this area (yet) but I worked in a Queensland gov't museum last year/start of this one and am trying to figure out the best way to change careers.

Thanks for the info on Waipu. You've made me even more keen on the idea of heading over!!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Wow, soulflour, that's fantastic. Actually Macleod and Waipu were the reason I posed the question. Do you know of Giant Mackaskill? There's a museum dedicated to him on Skye, where I believe his family are from, but the REAL museum is actually in (I think) BC (Canada, I hope, or I've been making it up all this time!!) where his family migrated, and he lived. He was part of that community you mention who left the area with Macleod for Australia.
That's right! I don't know much about him, other than the giant thing, but we do have strong links with Cape Breton and the Gaelic college in Nova Scotia so i'm sure i'll be learning more over the coming months...

Was just reading all of this recently and it got me thinking as I had always assumed that the majority of Scottish (and I'm mostly referring to Highlands, Islands, ie: Gaelic) influence in NZ was in the south of the South Island. Dunedin is the Gaelic name for Edinburgh. Invercargill etc. Even Stewart Island.
Yes, that's why it's so exciting to be involved with the Museum (we're just moving into a phase of big development) - the stories here are so unique and facinating, and so pertinent to so many people today (us on this 'ere forum are just one example!). The Whangarei Heads area has similar links as a lot of the settlers moved there too, 'McLeod's Bay' is named after Norman - they all used to walk down to Waipu on a Sunday, along to the coast, to here him preach.

The reason I am asking: long (probably boring, haha!) story...I'm Australian. I recently returned from 3 years living on Skye. My course is on hold at the moment as I've just started a new job, but I am learning Gaelic via the Gaelic college on Skye. I am a history teacher (hence my interest in all this stuff) and my number one goal is to move back to Scotland. However, immigration dramas being what they are (I need a work permit, very annoying), I am stuck here for the time being.

I have been back for nearly 2 years and have had my beady eye on New Zealand all this time, firstly for it's connection to Scotland (stronger than Oz-Scotland) and secondly because it looks a hell of a lot more interesting to me than Australia.

I'm also hoping to redirect my teaching career into museum, heritage, public history and all that. I'm thinking it would be infinitely more productive to be doing this in New Zealand (with their connections to Gaelic, Highland, Scottish history) than in Australia. And I don't need a work permit for New Zealand so it's sort of my stepping stone (besides the fact I've always had an idea that I'd like to live there for a bit).
Wow - that sounds like an excellent plan! There's a 'museum studies' MA that the manager at the museum and I are both interested in doing that i'm just waiting to hear more about... it's two year part time and sounds brilliant. Te Papa museum in Wellington are about to do a big 'Scottish' exhibition, to which we're contributing, which you should maybe try and make? I'll try and find out the dates for you - my lucky manager is down there this weekend at a conference about it all!

The museum community here is quite close it seems - the Museums Aotearoa Conference happens every year where everyone gets together, and i'm SURE i was told that next year's conference is in Dunedin? It happens in March, so we've just missed 2007s, but maybe i'll see you there next year?

There's a hostel for sale in Invercargill and I hostel management was what I was doing on Skye...would be a very welcome lifestyle change and give me the opportunity to pursue study as well.

oooh, good luck!! i LOVE hearing people's plans - so exciting!!
What sort of work are you doing in the museum?? I don't have any qualifications in this area (yet) but I worked in a Queensland gov't museum last year/start of this one and am trying to figure out the best way to change careers.

Thanks for the info on Waipu. You've made me even more keen on the idea of heading over!!
I've only been in this job for 4 weeks! But it's utterly brilliant. Basically the museum has had a paid manager for a number of years now, with my brilliant manager doing the job for the last two. We've recently secured some excellent funding and the whole place is being redesigned and upgraded, and part of that award was for a museum assistant (that's me!).

My job is really varied - a bit of curating, a bit of project management, a bit of event management, a bit of office management/admin, buying for the shop, dressing the shop, communication, writing press releases & reports, presentations, basically helping the manager with everything!! I love it to bits. Before this I was working in a real estate office, so you can imagine how I feel to have found this?!

I do have a degree in art history and cultural studies, which was basically aimed at curating, but life happened (as it does) and i ended up working in TV and then new media. So i'm over the MOON to have found my way back on the path i meant to take - especially as we only moved here so that my dp (who's also a teacher!) could take his job.

I wouldn't think you'd have ANY worries moving careers - your teaching field & experience would be so valuable - especially to the larger museums. One big project that i'm working on right now is a schools programme, and schools visits/programmes can be really significant income streams for museums, so you'd be perfect.

The woman now managing Whangarei Museum is lovely too, if you ever make it there? She was at the science museum in London, and managed to do her post-grad museum studies there while working there too.

Anyway, good luck with it all - if you ever make it up here drop in and say hi! We're a small rural museum, but about to get much bigger!! They'd all LOVE you too, for your experience of sky and your gaelic knowledge - we could probably drag you out a cream scone and a cup of tea

Steph xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:28 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

and i can't really help you much , but I can talk to you and make you a wee bit homesick for Scotland! I am told I have a strong accent - though I can't see it myself!
Oh and I can speak Doric!! ( when very drunk!)
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:31 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Sorry just had to reply to this thread, Dunedin is the old name for Edinburgh.

As for being scottish here, well believe me I am so glad to be scottish here as the english get a hard time, and I love every minute of it.

You will be more accepted here and quicker for having a scottish accent, well it is actually the Kiwi's who have changed their accent and not us, correct??

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:47 pm
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Ah, it seems my suspicions are concerned. It should've twigged when all my Scottish mates who had done the 'backpacker trip downunder' kept going on about New Zealand, and not Australia. And the museum stuff! Wow! I've just had time off to have a baby (who is now a rather messy toddler) so I've only just returned to teaching.

I'm really keen to get into museums (hence recent job as Visitor Services Officer but found this part rather dull - used to trail around after the Education Officer hoping she'd ask me to help her!) but as I've only just started back at work I was hoping to avoid going back for more study for a while. Hoping that I might be able to get a job based on teaching quals/experience and then study part-time post grad once there.

Your experience sounds great. I'm hoping (probably said this already) to get some experience here, maybe do some extra study, then move into similar jobs in Scotland. tbh I don't want to wait that long before I go back to Scotland so have been looking at studying there (as a means of getting a visa etc). Expensive though! Would much prefer the old fashioned way of working my way there, but it seems like everything requires more study these days. The information I got at the museum I worked at last year was that jobs weren't going to anyone with less than a Grad Dip these days

Can you believe NZ has been so close for so long and I've never been? What a disgrace! It is fast becoming my priority and you all have given me some great incentive!!

Hopefully I will have mastered the Gaelic by then and will be in high demand! If only I could sing ... lol!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

oh, i wish you so much good luck with it all!

I too have a rather messy toddler! Hence my 3 days a week at the museum - so i'm very very luck indeed.

Just to say that yes, the situation re museum work was like that in the UK ten years ago, so I dread to think what it's like now... I could never afford to do a masters but my friends who were slightly more fortunate were able to and even THEN are/were struggling and having to go on and do more!! I have a friend who's just been over here for a visit to check out NZ - back home she is desperate to work at the Arts Council, has a degree in design and a masters in curating (the personal rather than display) and is working there voluntarily and doesn't even get called to interview when ever a position comes up Have to say that my experience was all London based though!

My partner's mum and two sisters are in Invergordon and the surrounds.... will you be trying to get back to Skye?

Are you sure you can't sing? we could REALLY use you (i've got to sing a gaelic lullaby in this play that's happening in June and I can't sing either!!) *feels sick*

xx
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Oh and I can speak Doric!! ( when very drunk!)
Fit Like Pixi-dust?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:04 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Fit Like Pixi-dust?
Nae bad, foos yersel'?

chavvin
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Nae bad, foos yersel'?

chavvin
Bugger! All my dorick is used up now - Ach well, yer ken how it is! I'm afraid I'm a sasanach whose had a couple of years in the Granit City and I danna ken fit else ta say noo! Oh! Foos ya doos?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

me again!

I was just talking about you and the Manager here suggested you could contact the Curator at the Otago Settlers Museum if you want to head south?

His name is Seán Brosnahan and i'll pm you his email/phone number now!

x
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:54 pm
Wanderer

Hey soulflour,

Wow, that sounds really great! Was going to ask if you knew of anywhere advertising arts/museum work for NZ? I know there's the Museum Jobs webpage for the UK. Don't suppose there's anything that specific in NZ? Disappointing to hear it's so difficult to get work in Britain

Seems like getting the experience here first is going to be the way to go if I am even to have a chance! Don't suppose you know what it's like in Scotland? Really need to get my Gaelic sorted - I think there are more options if you have Gaelic ability...ciamar a tha thu?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

7.42 am...... I don't speak a word, i'm afraid! maybe i'll pick it up with time...

I'll keep my ear to the ground, and let you know if I hear of anything - but meanwhile write lots of grovelling letters to all the museums/contacts you can find - emphasise your teaching experience because I think that's so useful - my manager here is a qualified English/History teacher!

I'll let you know when I hear 'bout that MA too.

good luck, hopefully be in touch!

Steph

x
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:53 am
Wanderer

Hi Steph, ciamar a tha thu = how are you, therefore responses would be:
Tha gu math tapadh leat (I'm well thank you), Chan eil dona (not bad), or "Tha gu math, tapadh leat. Ciamar a th' thu fhein? (I'm well thanks, how are you yourself?)

I'm surprised I recall that much! I started studying in November last year but had to pause the course in Feb because I was offered a teaching job interstate and everything descended into chaos (as you can imagine!!). It's actually been a bit much all together and I'm supposed to be restarting the course in a week or so but might have to put it off until October, which will be really annoying!! Should have completed the first part by now!

I'm studying via SMO (Sabhal Mor Ostaig) the Gaelic College on Skye. It's bloody expensive once the bank have their wicked way with the exchange rate on my credit card, and it has been hard work, but after living in the islands for a few years, I am so glad to have just the tiny bit of language knowledge I now possess - so many things people used to say to me in the street are now making sense!! They have a weekly telephone tute as well, which is nervewracking but good for learning!

Is it okay if I PM you my email address, in case you hear of anything work-wise in museums etc over your way? I'm History/English qualified as well (as was the Education Officer at my last job) but have only had about one year of experience all up and lots here and there as I've travelled, run a business for a wee while, and had bub since graduation. Coming back into more fulll-time teaching this year I've discovered that they've done away with History in Australia!! It's been replaced with awful SOSE which lumps History in with Geography and Economics and Business studies! Has really given me the kick up the proverbial to move into museums where I can immerse myself in history and culture all day!!
Old May 1st 2007, 5:35 am
A land far far away

well we drove past him at speed on Monday - but for those of you that havent seen him, I give you.... drum roll.... the Waipu Piper in all his glory

( He seems to be hovering! I have no idea what's under his kilt!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.