Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

From Scotland to New zealand!!

From Scotland to New zealand!!

Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: From Scotland to New zealand!!

Originally Posted by Lynne sinclair
Yeah the costs can easily escalate..! I have close friends that are happy to have them so I think we be likely to leave them here. where sre you moving to?
do you mean us?...
if so, we are going to Auckland. Matts job is East Tamaki, so we'll be looking Manukau city/ Bucklands beach area (we think...) we'll have to have a good look round though as we dont know this area at all.

good luck with your exciting plans! let the bit-chomping begin!!

Last edited by MattandJax; Apr 13th 2010 at 12:51 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MattandJax
we have 2 cats but can't justify £4K to bring them over...(also they would hate the journey and quarantine) so they'll be going to live with "grandma and granpa"... hope they'll join them on Skype!
To be clear for others looking into this thread. There is no quarantine for your domestic animals entering NZ from the UK.

Cats and dogs undertake the journey from UK to NZ with little or no problems all the time. Just like us, they are most likely bored and sleep a lot.

Can't imagine spending out to bring a vehicle but not spending out to bring one's pets but hey, that's just me.

Although for a young couple with not much dosh I can quite see how the pet shipping costs could be prohibitive.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,
We are about to relocate back to N.Z. (my husband is a Kiwi),we lived in Auckland for a couple of years but have been back lliving in Scotland for 11 yrs! Have 2 girls 7 & 10yrs and have decided now is the time before high school etc. Were just back from a 3 week stay in CHCH with family and its soo clean, bright, and family friendly weve realised its the better option!! Spent a lot of time in CHCH over the years and love it but obviously loads to consider, but roughly we want to live in Rangiora..good schools, country ( we have ponies in U.K. and keen to continue!)lifestyle etc etc, had house valued today and have a private sale lined up, have to get N.Z.passports for the girls, I can get residency visa in N.Z. We now have to thingk about freight and whether to bring our beloved subaru with us - only worth here about 1K but to replace in N.Z about 6K apparently, hey should I bring our horse trailer also>>? so I;m interested in advice re schools, property, cars. all being well we plan to be out for xmas this year!!
Ponies in Paisley ......... if you'd said Newton Mearns it would have sounded better ......... hahaha

Welcome to the forum
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandJax
do you mean us?...
if so, we are going to Auckland. Matts job is East Tamaki, so we'll be looking Manukau city/ Bucklands beach area (we think...) we'll have to have a good look round though as we dont know this area at all.

good luck with your exciting plans! let the bit-chomping begin!!
Just on the outskirts of East Tamaki there is a newish development that is pretty decent
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:08 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
To be clear for others looking into this thread. There is no quarantine for your domestic animals entering NZ from the UK.

Cats and dogs undertake the journey from UK to NZ with little or no problems all the time. Just like us, they are most likely bored and sleep a lot.

Can't imagine spending out to bring a vehicle but not spending out to bring one's pets but hey, that's just me.

Although for a young couple with not much dosh I can quite see how the pet shipping costs could be prohibitive.
I wish this was true for me....think I managed a total of about 3 or 4 hours broken sleep in the whole journey.
I hope my Gary cat has more sleep than me
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shelloid
I wish this was true for me....think I managed a total of about 3 or 4 hours broken sleep in the whole journey.
I hope my Gary cat has more sleep than me
You know cats. Sleep is of the upmost importance. Actually I can't sleep much on the flights either . Husband can sleep on a washing line though and has been known to sleep through an entire leg.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Ponies in Paisley ......... if you'd said Newton Mearns it would have sounded better ......... hahaha

Welcome to the forum
I know weird to think of a farm in Paisley but there is - oddly -! My daughters are involved in the local pony club however we tend to get more riding done in the winter (at indoor arenas) due to the "wet summers"! Looking forward to some nice riding weather in N.Z. - the kids will say its too hot no doubt!!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know weird to think of a farm in Paisley but there is - oddly -! My daughters are involved in the local pony club however we tend to get more riding done in the winter (at indoor arenas) due to the "wet summers"! Looking forward to some nice riding weather in N.Z. - the kids will say its too hot no doubt!!
My OH is from Paisley and im from Hamilton so sort of know the area pretty well ish.

Just didnt think of poines in 'feegie park'

HAHAHA

We have took our little one pony trekking once here (she is only 4) and loved it
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alanmacc
My OH is from Paisley and im from Hamilton so sort of know the area pretty well ish.

Just didnt think of poines in 'feegie park'

HAHAHA

We have took our little one pony trekking once here (she is only 4) and loved it
Are you guys missing Scotland much or feeling settled in N.Z.?, always hard to leave family - dreading the final farewells - My folks have been out to N.Z. a couple of times when we used to live there so they will come & visit for the summers. We were married in CHCH 12 yrs ago, its not such a huge leap for us i suppose as we have lived there and already have friends and family in CHCH however taking the kids away from friends and grandparents will be tough! have to just keep thinking of the better weather, no grafitti, no chewing gum stuck to the pavements etc etc...!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you guys missing Scotland much or feeling settled in N.Z.?, always hard to leave family - dreading the final farewells - My folks have been out to N.Z. a couple of times when we used to live there so they will come & visit for the summers. We were married in CHCH 12 yrs ago, its not such a huge leap for us i suppose as we have lived there and already have friends and family in CHCH however taking the kids away from friends and grandparents will be tough! have to just keep thinking of the better weather, no grafitti, no chewing gum stuck to the pavements etc etc...!
Sent you a PM
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Well we have now sold our house, had an interested party so didnt have to advertise thru an agent, we've sold to my friends sister & family!! Had them round last night so all negotiations completed over a btl of wine and with a handshake. Will get onto the lawyer today so get papers drawn up! All quite emotional, we've lived in this house for 11yrs, had the children here etc, I'm sure a lot of you will know what I mean! Have to get the kids passports organised, they are entitled to N.Z. ones through "citizenship by descent", I'll apply for residency while in N.Z. much cheaper! Now to call round freight companies to get some quotes and have a good think about what to bring!! we have agreed to be out the house end of Aug so may actually come out sooner than the original Dec plan. We can stay with my folks for a few weeks then set off Oct maybe, we'll see.....!!! exciting times ahead..........!!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Great news about the house.We moved from Old Kilpatrick,just the other side of the Clyde from Paisley in July last year and don't regret it for a minute. Kids have blossomed and life is less stressful.Miss family and friends like crazy at times but it is getting easier. We keep in touch via skype which is great. I am proud to be Scottish and always will be,I support Scotland teams at sport when it is on telly ( mostly rugby and football ) and will be singing Flower of Scotland with the rest of the mad Scots in 2011 at rugby world cup matches.............but I don't want to take my kids back there to live.

Phyl x

p.s. my hubby now works for the removal co that moved us here, PM me if you want more info on that and anything else re moving from there to here. Will help if I can.

P x
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weejie
Great news about the house.We moved from Old Kilpatrick,just the other side of the Clyde from Paisley in July last year and don't regret it for a minute. Kids have blossomed and life is less stressful.Miss family and friends like crazy at times but it is getting easier. We keep in touch via skype which is great. I am proud to be Scottish and always will be,I support Scotland teams at sport when it is on telly ( mostly rugby and football ) and will be singing Flower of Scotland with the rest of the mad Scots in 2011 at rugby world cup matches.............but I don't want to take my kids back there to live.

Phyl x

p.s. my hubby now works for the removal co that moved us here, PM me if you want more info on that and anything else re moving from there to here. Will help if I can.

P x
Will send you a PM!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:00 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have now sold our house, had an interested party so didnt have to advertise thru an agent,
Great news you have sold all systems go for you then

Dewb