Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

From Scotland to New zealand!!

From Scotland to New zealand!!

Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future
Default From Scotland to New zealand!!

Hi folks,
We are about to relocate back to N.Z. (my husband is a Kiwi),we lived in Auckland for a couple of years but have been back lliving in Scotland for 11 yrs! Have 2 girls 7 & 10yrs and have decided now is the time before high school etc. Were just back from a 3 week stay in CHCH with family and its soo clean, bright, and family friendly weve realised its the better option!! Spent a lot of time in CHCH over the years and love it but obviously loads to consider, but roughly we want to live in Rangiora..good schools, country ( we have ponies in U.K. and keen to continue!)lifestyle etc etc, had house valued today and have a private sale lined up, have to get N.Z.passports for the girls, I can get residency visa in N.Z. We now have to thingk about freight and whether to bring our beloved subaru with us - only worth here about 1K but to replace in N.Z about 6K apparently, hey should I bring our horse trailer also>>? so I;m interested in advice re schools, property, cars. all being well we plan to be out for xmas this year!!

Last edited by Lynne sinclair; Apr 12th 2010 at 8:17 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

imanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really niceimanurse is just really nice
Default Re: From Scotland to New zealand!!

Originally Posted by Lynne sinclair
Hi folks,
We are about to relocate back to N.Z. (my husband is a Kiwi),we lived in Auckland for a couple of years but have been back lliving in Scotland for 11 yrs! Have 2 girls 7 & 10yrs and have decided now is the time before high school etc. Were just back from a 3 week stay in CHCH with family and its soo clean, bright, and family friendly weve realised its the better option!! Spent a lot of time in CHCH over the years and love it but obviously loads to consider, but roughly we want to live in Rangiora..good schools, country ( we have ponies in U.K. and keen to continue!)lifestyle etc etc, had house valued today and have a private sale lined up, have to get N.Z.passports for the girls, I can get residency visa in N.Z. We now have to thingk about freight and whether to bring our beloved subaru with us - only worth here about 1K but to replace in N.Z about 6K apparently, hey should I bring our horse trailer also>>? so I;m interested in advice re schools, property, cars. all being well we plan to be out for xmas this year!!
hi and welcome,
dont have much information as we also in the process of moving over, but i have heard that it is the cleaning of the items that is the most annoying thing, think it is MAF standards or something

sam
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Leave the car it will prob cost $5K to get it here there are no shortage of horse boxes either, we are down the road from Rangiora but there are a few who live there so they will know more about the schools ect

Neil

PS Welcome
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Honeybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really nice

Hi Lynne (and family). Welcome to BE and good look with the immigration process ahead. There are lots on this site from Rangiora, you'll soon make lots of friends. I'm sure you will fall in love with life in North Canterbury. Lot's of space for kids and ponies!! We are just outside Rangiora so may get to meet you in the future.
Good luck once again.
HB
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honeybug
Hi Lynne (and family). Welcome to BE and good look with the immigration process ahead. There are lots on this site from Rangiora, you'll soon make lots of friends. I'm sure you will fall in love with life in North Canterbury. Lot's of space for kids and ponies!! We are just outside Rangiora so may get to meet you in the future.
Good luck once again.
HB
Look at www.trademe.co.nz

That will give you an angle on virtually everything you are interested in. Jobs, cars, houses, the community, furniture, antiques et al.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

I agree, leave all the big stuff at home and just buy it again over here!!!

It will cost ya loads to ship that stuff over here.

Good, luck any q's give us a shout.

I came over from Scotland in 2004 to Christchurch and have not looked back since!!

Grant
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:51 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

HI & welcome to the site, still here so cant give info on move etc.

Went to a friends wedding in Paisley many years ago, beautiful
Good luck with all your plans

Dewb
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

Thanks for the welcomes!! Good to hear such positive responses! Safe to say I check out trademenz every day checking out property, ponies, puppies etc etc, its soo addictive! Definently keen on Rangiora although the in-laws live in Ilam, CHCH ( perhaps thats why??!!)If we come out in dec we can stay in CHCH for a couple of weeks then rent somewhere in R and get the kids organised for schools starting in Feb, I hear Ashgrove is the best?! think we'll get a company in to quote a shipping cost, I'd want to bring a bit of stuff, not wardrobes but want sofas, kids bunks but I realise we'll have to be fairly brutal deciding what to leave behind. We'll have to rehouse our 2 lovely cats and sell pony!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Were actually just back from a lovely 3 week trip to CHCH for my father in laws 70th party! (Prompting the decision to move, weve visited 3 times in the last 10 yrs and my husband grew up in CHCH, went to St Andrews!) Spent time with family plus a lazy week in The Sounds, fishing, drinking the wonderful sav/blanc and soaking up the sun, oh and watching the dolphins!!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

EmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really nice

Bring the cats and the car I say!! We did and are soooo glad we did, made us feel like we were at home straight away. We couldn't consider leaving our cats and brought our 2 cars over too, drove them to Southampton Docks and the rest was pretty straightforward.

It was great not to have to bother car hunting when we got here as we had a million other things to do. Strange when my UK plates got taken off though, I really wanted to keep them but they threw them out! We used autoshippers for the cars www.autoshippers.co.uk and Airpets at Heathrow for the cats and they were both great.

We live in Chch and really love the place.
Good luck!
Emma
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi Emma,
Really, you brought your cats?? How did they cope with the journey? And what roughly was the cost, were they flown over? whereabouts in CHCH are you, I really love the place,its so spacious and clean, we were staying in Ilam, near The Bush Mall?!? also lived in Burnside and Merivale years ago! Do you have kids in school?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Definatly bring the cats, we brought 3 dogs over no probs
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

I'll check out the cost then but not sure I want to spend £2k on flying them out although I love them dearly!!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lynne sinclair
I'll check out the cost then but not sure I want to spend £2k on flying them out although I love them dearly!!
we have 2 cats but can't justify £4K to bring them over...(also they would hate the journey and quarantine) so they'll be going to live with "grandma and granpa"... hope they'll join them on Skype!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah the costs can easily escalate..! I have close friends that are happy to have them so I think we be likely to leave them here. where sre you moving to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.