British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Science jobs - where to look? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/science-jobs-where-look-844088/)

Ugo51 Sep 29th 2014 11:13 am

Science jobs - where to look?

Hi all,
do you know any website similar to jobs.ac.uk where to look for science jobs in New Zealand?
I only found some "global" website such as FindAPostDoc but they are worse than useless...:blink:

Cheers

MrsFychan Sep 29th 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Science jobs - where to look?

seek might be helpful ??

see you are also looking in Europe, good luck

Sally Redux Sep 29th 2014 7:37 pm

ResearchGate?

ResearchGate

Stormer999 Sep 29th 2014 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ugo51 (Post 11421920)
Hi all,
do you know any website similar to jobs.ac.uk where to look for science jobs in New Zealand?
I only found some "global" website such as FindAPostDoc but they are worse than useless...:blink:

Cheers

I think you need to be a lot more specific in what you are looking for on NZ sites, "science jobs" is too encompassing. You can start by narrowing your searches to the 3 big cities as they tend to advertise within their own boundaries. Milk/dairy are the big employers here.

Ugo51 Sep 30th 2014 5:54 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11422522)
seek might be helpful ??

see you are also looking in Europe, good luck

Thanks, it looks like it is indeed useful!

Yes, we are looking mainly in 4 places, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Sweden, although we are slowly shifting towards English-speaking contries only.
Might be a good idea to include Australia as well, but it's too hot over there :lol:

Ugo51 Sep 30th 2014 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 11422580)
I think you need to be a lot more specific in what you are looking for on NZ sites, "science jobs" is too encompassing. You can start by narrowing your searches to the 3 big cities as they tend to advertise within their own boundaries. Milk/dairy are the big employers here.

Eheh, you're right, although I'm not too sure what I meant either.
At the moment I'm working as a molecular biologist but I'm not excluding a career change at some point in the future.
That's why I try to be as open minded as I can, hence "science jobs" ;)

Anyway it would be soft and squishy sciences, all revolving around my background in biotech and molecular biology. The agriculture industry is very interesting indeed, I have to look into it a bit better, trying to understand whether there is something I could contribute to

janiejones Sep 30th 2014 8:11 am

There is a place near Christchurch, Darfield, that does some sort of plant biology research, to do with animal feeds I think.

There is also a place called Callaghan Innovation in Lower Hutt that has science research stuff going on. Also have a look for the McDiarmid and Magellan Institutes in Wellington. I think I've got their names right!

Ugo51 Oct 1st 2014 7:53 am

Uh! Very interesting indeed.

ellenarosemary Oct 1st 2014 10:05 pm

GNS Science?

Ugo51 Oct 2nd 2014 5:28 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 11425139)
GNS Science?

It does look interesting but I'm afraid it's not the kind of science I'm qualified for.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Tomsk Oct 2nd 2014 5:58 am

It might be worth checking out Scion. They're a big employer here in Rotorua and, as far as I'm aware, they're very involved in agricultural & forestry science & biodiversity. They have a careers page, but I'm sorry I can't post a link as I'm on my phone & can't figure out how to do that. But if you google Scion or Scion Rotorua it should come up.
Hope that helps.

Ugo51 Oct 2nd 2014 11:07 am

Thanks, I will surely check it out :)