British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Schools in Whatawhata (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/schools-whatawhata-737683/)

Emilou Nov 2nd 2011 6:30 pm

Schools in Whatawhata

Hi

I am moving to Hamilton, (whatawhata) in the next 3 weeks and would really appreciate some advice on primary schools in the whatawhata area.

Also am hoping to rent in bell road, whatawhata, please tell me it's all ok if you know it.

Would really be grateful for any information, good or bad.

Cheers
:)

waikatoguy Nov 2nd 2011 10:12 pm

Re: Schools in Whatawhata

Originally Posted by Emilou (Post 9711008)
Hi

I am moving to Hamilton, (whatawhata) in the next 3 weeks and would really appreciate some advice on primary schools in the whatawhata area.

Also am hoping to rent in bell road, whatawhata, please tell me it's all ok if you know it.

Would really be grateful for any information, good or bad.

Cheers
:)

Whatawhata is a village. Probably about 300 people live in the village itself, but there's a lot of farmers etc in the surrounding district. There is only one school. Whatawhata primary, that goes up to 13 year olds. After that your kids would need to bus into Hamilton, which is about 20 minutes away, probably to Fraser High School, which is the largest High School in Hamilton.
There is another school called Te Kowhai primary which is also nearby, probably about 10 minutes. I know that is a really good school, because I know people there. In Whatawhata itself, there is a school, a petrol station and a pub, and the obligatory golf course.

In the opposite direction is Raglan, 20 minutes away, where I spent a lot of my childhood. A really pleasant seaside town. They call it Raglan by the Sea.

Hope that helps. I know there are heaps of people buying lifestyle blocks out at Whatawhata and building expansive (and expensive) houses, although thats mainly out of the village itself.

Why is it you're moving to Whatawhata and not Hamilton?

waikatoguy Nov 2nd 2011 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 9711443)
Hope that helps. I know there are heaps of people buying lifestyle blocks out at Whatawhata and building expansive (and expensive) houses, although thats mainly out of the village itself.

Thinking about it. I think Bell Rd is one of these new fangled lifestyle block subdivisions. I'll actually be passing there on my way out to Raglan later on, so I'll take a look for you.

waikatoguy Nov 3rd 2011 3:17 am

I'm back. I drove down Bell Road. I guess you realise that it's a very rural location (although I think it's about 10 minutes from Dinsdale shopping centre on the outskirts of Hamilton from there)? The views overlook wide expanses of dairy farms and Mt Pirongia. The houses are a mixture of old farm houses and new, brick larger numbers. The school is about 1 kilometre away.

Emilou Nov 3rd 2011 7:02 am

Gee waikatoguy, you are a star!!

Thanks for all the effort, lots of useful information.

We are a family of four moving out of Devon, and want to live in a quiet, rural spot. My husband has a job in Hamilton, Glenview, so will be a short drive to and from work. Due to his "on call" demands living any further west from whatawhata would be a problem. Our initial plan was to live just outside raglan, but had been advised to stay nearer to Hamilton.
We have taken a rental property on bell road, obviously, without seeing it but have had heaps of photos etc , taking a risk, but have secured it now and it looks to be just what we want.

Thanks again so much for your help, much appreciated.:)

waikatoguy Nov 3rd 2011 7:33 am

Well it's certainly rural. It's also a quiet road because it's a dead end and therefore no through traffic. Bring your swimming togs. Weather is starting to warm up !! :)

Emilou Nov 3rd 2011 7:55 am

Quiet is good. Looking forward to the warmth and the sunshine. Is mild and pouring down over here right now so that one way flight can't come quick enough.
Cheers

waikatoguy Nov 3rd 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Emilou (Post 9711987)
Quiet is good. Looking forward to the warmth and the sunshine. Is mild and pouring down over here right now so that one way flight can't come quick enough.
Cheers

Don't throw away your umbrella just yet. We get our fair share of rain. :)

Am Loolah Nov 3rd 2011 9:01 am

Good man waikatoguy, have some karma.:thumbup: