Schools and more

Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

jamjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Schools and more

After serious consideration we are now looking at the Canterbury area to relocate to. If we get the residence visas. We have a 5 year old and a 13 year old and are looking at schools for them, what are the best public schools in these areas. Also what are good areas to be based in and to start looking at propertys to buy. We were going to go to Auckland but have decided we want a bit more than a shack to live in and if we went there thats all we could afford on our budget of $270,000 to $280,000 this is roughly the sum we will be taking with us to set ourselfs up. We don't want a big morgage like we have here.
Also does anybody know of any companies in this area that lay Gas Mains in the streets and to houses.
Many Thanks.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Schools and more

Originally Posted by jamjo
After serious consideration we are now looking at the Canterbury area to relocate to. If we get the residence visas. We have a 5 year old and a 13 year old and are looking at schools for them, what are the best public schools in these areas. Also what are good areas to be based in and to start looking at propertys to buy. We were going to go to Auckland but have decided we want a bit more than a shack to live in and if we went there thats all we could afford on our budget of $270,000 to $280,000 this is roughly the sum we will be taking with us to set ourselfs up. We don't want a big morgage like we have here.
Also does anybody know of any companies in this area that lay Gas Mains in the streets and to houses.
Many Thanks.
You will struggle to get a decent house in a good school area in Christchurch for less than $400K. so that still means a mortgage of 120K. Be aware, property is not cheap here. I keep hearing that it is but in good area's with good schools they are expensive.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:30 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjo
Many Thanks.
Cant offer you any real advice re the house thing but one can find decent housing in a lot of areas with more than decent schools but of course that really depends on individual idea as to whats decent & whats not. In my personal opinion a house costing $400K is really in the upper market scale of things & really your idea of $270 - $280 would get you something nice in a decent area unless you are wanting to live in one of the snobb areas of town.
I think you need to research a little more cos Christchurch hasnt had gas going to houses or businesses for years so if this is the type of work your hoping to find your going to be out of luck. As far as I know gas is supplied to houses in tanks etc & there are no gas lines in any streets. I remember as a child they had gas & loved driving by the gas works with my parents but they tore that place down more than 20 years ago.
Im sure others will correct me if Im wrong but I lived there for more than 40 years & Ive not seen gas like your talking about for years. Everything comes in gas cylinders now.
Goodluck

Regards Shepslady
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shepslady
Cant offer you any real advice re the house thing but one can find decent housing in a lot of areas with more than decent schools but of course that really depends on individual idea as to whats decent & whats not. In my personal opinion a house costing $400K is really in the upper market scale of things & really your idea of $270 - $280 would get you something nice in a decent area unless you are wanting to live in one of the snobb areas of town.
I think you need to research a little more cos Christchurch hasnt had gas going to houses or businesses for years so if this is the type of work your hoping to find your going to be out of luck. As far as I know gas is supplied to houses in tanks etc & there are no gas lines in any streets. I remember as a child they had gas & loved driving by the gas works with my parents but they tore that place down more than 20 years ago.
Im sure others will correct me if Im wrong but I lived there for more than 40 years & Ive not seen gas like your talking about for years. Everything comes in gas cylinders now.
Goodluck

Regards Shepslady
Not trying to be rude but you don't live here and don't know what you are taking about regarding property. Can you show me where in Christchurch I can get a decent house, with decent schools near for $270K?????? We moved here a year ago and did not see anything we would live in for less than $400K. Surely if people are going to move from their home country they dont want to arrive in a strange country and move into a bad area. Not really going to help them settle.
Have a look at www.harcourts.co.nz and do a search for property in decent areas. If you can find something decent for that price then I will be very, very surprised.

Yes our gas comes in cylinders and its a pain. I always seem to run out when I least need it to.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cassa
Not trying to be rude but you don't live here and don't know what you are taking about regarding property. Can you show me where in Christchurch I can get a decent house, with decent schools near for $270K?????? We moved here a year ago and did not see anything we would live in for less than $400K. Surely if people are going to move from their home country they dont want to arrive in a strange country and move into a bad area. Not really going to help them settle.
Have a look at www.harcourts.co.nz and do a search for property in decent areas. If you can find something decent for that price then I will be very, very surprised.

Yes our gas comes in cylinders and its a pain. I always seem to run out when I least need it to.
Cassa, we are seriously considering a move to the Christchurch area and have 2 kids of school age - please please could you advise which areas are "good" and "bad", we´re hoping to visit in the next month or so and would like to know where to start looking. Also, if areas near Christchurch are worth considering and if so, which ones. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SteveDK
Cassa, we are seriously considering a move to the Christchurch area and have 2 kids of school age - please please could you advise which areas are "good" and "bad", we´re hoping to visit in the next month or so and would like to know where to start looking. Also, if areas near Christchurch are worth considering and if so, which ones. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi, I live in Cashmere and i know of people moving here because of the good schools. Also we have a lovely cafe and a few little shops, includiing post office a few min walk. Cashmere is on the hill and the views are stunning. Christchurch, in fact Canterbury, is very flat so it is nice to have a view. Lots of families here. Both our neighbours have two children, all at the local schools.

The other good areas are Fendalton and Merivale. They are the most expensive areas. Although the snob value exists there and its the place people seems to want to live, the houses are pretty close together and they are very close to the city centre. This might be a plus for you but not for us.

I also reallly liked Sumner. It is near the beach. Houses very expensive there now but really lovely place to live.

To be really honest, I don't think that you will get much in a good area for less than $400K. Have a look at www.harcourts.co.nz and you will get a good idea of what you can get.

If you need any help at all please let me know. If you want details of hotels for when you come over I would be happy to help.

There are lots of bad, lower social economic area's that when I drive through I feel quite depressed but there are also some lovely tree lined streets on up and coming area's. My friends live in St Albans and have a lovely house there and they paid $350K for it. Its small but cosy and lovely street and garden.

I dont know much about the area's outside Christchurch. Sorry.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cassa, many thanks for your reply and very generous and kind offer to help us with a hotel. We´re expecting to visit ASAP - travel arranged by prospective employers but your offer much appreciated. Karma duly sent!

Where are the "no-go" areas in Christchurch? Had a quick look at Cashmere and it does seem nice, it´s amazing how much the house prices vary in Canterbury though. Does the schooling really vary that much too? Can´t believe any of it could be worse than state schools in the UK right now !

Hi, I live in Cashmere and i know of people moving here because of the good schools. Also we have a lovely cafe and a few little shops, includiing post office a few min walk. Cashmere is on the hill and the views are stunning. Christchurch, in fact Canterbury, is very flat so it is nice to have a view. Lots of families here. Both our neighbours have two children, all at the local schools.

The other good areas are Fendalton and Merivale. They are the most expensive areas. Although the snob value exists there and its the place people seems to want to live, the houses are pretty close together and they are very close to the city centre. This might be a plus for you but not for us.

I also reallly liked Sumner. It is near the beach. Houses very expensive there now but really lovely place to live.

To be really honest, I don't think that you will get much in a good area for less than $400K. Have a look at www.harcourts.co.nz and you will get a good idea of what you can get.

If you need any help at all please let me know. If you want details of hotels for when you come over I would be happy to help.

There are lots of bad, lower social economic area's that when I drive through I feel quite depressed but there are also some lovely tree lined streets on up and coming area's. My friends live in St Albans and have a lovely house there and they paid $350K for it. Its small but cosy and lovely street and garden.

Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:56 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I dont live there now....I did live there for more than 40 years & all of that time in Christchurch. I was over there less than 6 months ago so DONT tell me I dont know what Im talking about. Like I said it depends on what a person calls decent doesnt it. Im not talking Merivale, Fendalton or Cashmere Hill Suburbs here lady but there are decent homes to be found for a lot less than what your talking. On the subject of schools thats another personal opinion of what one calls a good school. To me a good school is one that does well in the academic area & doesnt have to have the ridiculously expensive school fees that come with it. Yeah I know there are what people call good schools eg. Christ College, ST Bedes, Boys High, Girls High etc but some of the co ed schools are just as good. Sounds to me like your nose is a little too far in the air for me so I am now bowing out of this topic knowing that I am NOT wrong or misleading. Im giving my personal views of which you are entitled to disagree with just as I totally disagree with yours!

Shepslady
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:02 pm
Damages

Maybe I dont live there now....I did live there for more than 40 years & all of that time in Christchurch. I was over there less than 6 months ago so DONT tell me I dont know what Im talking about. Like I said it depends on what a person calls decent doesnt it. Im not talking Merivale, Fendalton or Cashmere Hill Suburbs here lady but there are decent homes to be found for a lot less than what your talking. On the subject of schools thats another personal opinion of what one calls a good school. To me a good school is one that does well in the academic area & doesnt have to have the ridiculously expensive school fees that come with it. Yeah I know there are what people call good schools eg. Christ College, ST Bedes, Boys High, Girls High etc but some of the co ed schools are just as good. Sounds to me like your nose is a little too far in the air for me so I am now bowing out of this topic knowing that I am NOT wrong or misleading. Im giving my personal views of which you are entitled to disagree with just as I totally disagree with yours!

Shepslady

Well Said

Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware, property is not cheap here. I keep hearing that it is but in good area's with good schools they are expensive.

Good Luck!
I think "cheap" needs to be defined. Even if $400k is the starting point for a decent family home in a nice area of Christchurch - NZ's third-biggest city - how does this equate to a similar home in a comparable area of a comparable city in UK? Almost dollars for pounds - that's how! $400k equates to £153k, which for anyone with a decent proportion of equity in a UK house, is very cheap. The cheap real estate in NZ has got to be one of the major reasons to move there, in my opinion.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

PS - how about harcourts property ref FM050310 for $244k, or is Opawa one of the undesirable areas? It wasn't too bad when I went to school in ChCh.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:05 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
PS - how about harcourts property ref FM050310 for $244k, or is Opawa one of the undesirable areas? It wasn't too bad when I went to school in ChCh.
In my opinion it still isnt bad but then again it all depends on personal preference doesnt it. If I was looking to buy back home now Id would be looking at somewhere on the outskirts like Kaiapoi or even Rangiora but then thats only because Id like avoid living in the City again. Guess that comes with age huh!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:16 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

I know I said I was bowing out of this thread but couldnt resist one more post after reading this post of yours. I didnt read it before posting my earlier reply but had such a laugh when I saw you do live in one of those areas I referred to. Funny how times change because when my children were attending high school in Christchurch Cashmere High School had one of the worst drug problems in Christchurch & they also had a high pregnancy rate too. Of course times change & its probably a lot better now but its also my personal opinion that a lot depends on the way children are raised too. My last home in Christchurch was in the suburb of Westhaven which I found to be a reasonable "decent" area. Many of my friends live in Cashmere & Westmoreland & although I sometimes suspect they think they are better than everyone else I dont think the area they live in makes them any better than others. In fact it always made me laugh to hear them complaining about the amount of rates (property tax) they were forced to pay etc. Our rates were more than affordable & the difference they paid to us was money that we could put to good use having fun or puttting back into our property so go figure!!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

I know I said I was bowing out of this thread but couldnt resist one more post after reading this post of yours. I didnt read it before posting my earlier reply but had such a laugh when I saw you do live in one of those areas I referred to. Funny how times change because when my children were attending high school in Christchurch Cashmere High School had one of the worst drug problems in Christchurch & they also had a high pregnancy rate too. Of course times change & its probably a lot better now but its also my personal opinion that a lot depends on the way children are raised too. My last home in Christchurch was in the suburb of Westhaven which I found to be a reasonable "decent" area. Many of my friends live in Cashmere & Westmoreland & although I sometimes suspect they think they are better than everyone else I dont think the area they live in makes them any better than others. In fact it always made me laugh to hear them complaining about the amount of rates (property tax) they were forced to pay etc. Our rates were more than affordable & the difference they paid to us was money that we could put to good use having fun or puttting back into our property so go figure!!!

Ok first of all do not call me LADY. Second, you have a HUGE chip on your shoulder about where people live and your friends being snobs. I was asked for some by Steve for my opinions on certain things and that is what I gave. I am certainly not going to sit here and have you tell me my nose is too far in the air. You are the kind of person that makes me dislike New Zealand. You have to pick a hole in everything someone says and you have to put your insults in, as if that is what this site is about. Also interested to see that you admit that there were drug problems etc when you were at school, which was over twenty years ago. Cashmere has changed but then you know that as you have attacked me and people you know for living there. I happen to like a view. I don't want to look into other peoples windows. Oh yes, that must mean I am a snob. AND there certainly were no drug, teenage pregnancy problems at my school in Scotland twenty odd years ago.

I am sure that those running this site are not looking for people to witch hunt others and that 'my dear' is what you are doing.

And Damages.... by saying 'well said' at the attack on where I have chosen to live and my opinions is very childish.

I for one will not be back on this board. I thought that whole point of it was to help others (see my offers of helping Steve find hotels etc and giving him property websites) but it seems this board is about kiwi's with HUGE chips ont their shoulders having a go at anyone that dare lives in a nice area or offers any opinion.

Steve, hope the move goes ok and I hope that you don't meet to many Kiwi's like Damages and shepslady. They just go out of their way to be aggressive. Thankfully there are not that many of them. PM if you want any help.

Lapsed Kiwi. Yes it depends on what we call cheap but it you actually read the post before commenting, then you will see Steve has a budget of around the $280K and does not want a big loan on his head. and if you want my honest answer, no I would not live in that house you posted. I hardly think it is big enough for a family of four. If people come here for space and freedom, I do not see that house offering either of those.

So Shepslady, be happy and have the board all to yourself if you wish. I cannot be bothered with petty spats with 40 something, Kiwi's who now live in the USA and want to attack anyone that is different to them. One thing you might want to learn is that everyone is different and just because people want to live in a good area in a nice house and send their children to a good school, does not make them wrong. It just makes them different to you. You must be old enough to understand that. I think it is more to do with a lot of jealously and that my friend will eat you up and make you bitter. Think you might be there already.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:04 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

If I was looking to buy back home now Id would be looking at somewhere on the outskirts like Kaiapoi or even Rangiora but then thats only because Id like avoid living in the City again.

I live in Kaiapoi and its very nice thankyou very much. Lots of real estate for less than $400K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.