Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Schools - how to find out standards?

Schools - how to find out standards?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

currytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nice
Default Schools - how to find out standards?

I've followed the posts about finding schools in different areas, and looked up the government sites, etc.
It looks as if there is more importance attached to 'deciles' [what percentage of nationality among the children] and not much said about the schools results. Looking up the ero site, which is the inspection report, it does not say too much about levels; and there is some political debate going on about the only website which shows exam results/league tables, which only the schools can access!! not open to parents!!
One school I looked up [Drury] had just ONE qualified teacher: the rest were local parents... and the inspection report did not condemn this.
The other thing that worries me is that children can carry forward 'points' from one year to the next - so if they do well at one level, and poorly at the next [for whatever reason] they may still pass that year, due to carryign forward their points...
Looking ahead to University - it matters to choose a school which has a good standard, and qualified teachers: Are there some teachers here and has anyone got experience of this?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:46 pm
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Schools - how to find out standards?

Originally Posted by currytiffin
I've followed the posts about finding schools in different areas, and looked up the government sites, etc.
It looks as if there is more importance attached to 'deciles' [what percentage of nationality among the children] and not much said about the schools results. Looking up the ero site, which is the inspection report, it does not say too much about levels; and there is some political debate going on about the only website which shows exam results/league tables, which only the schools can access!! not open to parents!!
One school I looked up [Drury] had just ONE qualified teacher: the rest were local parents... and the inspection report did not condemn this.
The other thing that worries me is that children can carry forward 'points' from one year to the next - so if they do well at one level, and poorly at the next [for whatever reason] they may still pass that year, due to carryign forward their points...
Looking ahead to University - it matters to choose a school which has a good standard, and qualified teachers: Are there some teachers here and has anyone got experience of this?
i think its nothing to do with results, or nationalities ( although there is a pattern, but not allowed to say that) more to do with wealth of area, the higher the rating, usually denotes a wealthier, or more affulent area, something to do with amount of funding.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
i think its nothing to do with results, or nationalities ( although there is a pattern, but not allowed to say that) more to do with wealth of area, the higher the rating, usually denotes a wealthier, or more affulent area, something to do with amount of funding.
That's my understanding too - the lower decile schools tend to be in poorer areas, usually have a higher percentage of PI / Maori children (in my experience) as these people tend to have higher levels of unemployment compared to Pakeha (as well as poorer health, increased morbidity etc etc). The lower decile schools get more government funding as there is an expectation that parents will contribute financially in the higher decile schools. My kids school is a decile 9 and we pay $250 per year each child in fees.
The best thing to do when you get here is visit the schools, that's what we did and you can get a proper feel for the place as well as ask questions. Also be aware that some schools are zoned and if it is a popular school you may end up paying more for a house as people will buy into an area for the school.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry...I don't want to take over this thread as Currytiffin has a very valid question to be answered. All I want to know is what sites should I be checking for info. on schools?

Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:23 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
Sorry...I don't want to take over this thread as Currytiffin has a very valid question to be answered. All I want to know is what sites should I be checking for info. on schools?

Thanks
As far as I know there isnt any. Most sites go with the decile rating. All my research hasnt found anything like the scoring they do in the UK (which is flawed anyway)

I suspect you need to pick the area in which you wish to move and then look at the schools and find the best one. If you dont like the schools in the area start again. I think its going to be something like that

Not much help Im affraid
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Originally Posted by garryhg

Thanks
I found www.ero.govt.nz/ero to be helpful. A bit like OFSTED - gives decile ranking, number of teachers/pupils, ethnicity of pupils and a report of the last inspection. Also www.schoolzones.co.nz was useful.

Good luck!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:46 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
I found www.ero.govt.nz/ero to be helpful. A bit like OFSTED - gives decile ranking, number of teachers/pupils, ethnicity of pupils and a report of the last inspection. Also www.schoolzones.co.nz was useful.

Good luck!
Yep, MrsL (Ministry of Ed bod) says that is the place, although the reports don't seem to say much about results and more about management and the Boards of Trustees (Governors)....... ... well the ones I have read. Probably best to roll up and ask the locals, particularly the ex-Pats
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:53 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Probably best to roll up and ask the locals, particularly the ex-Pats
And thats excatly what we will be doing when we come over

Starting with you lardyl
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:56 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
And thats excatly what we will be doing when we come over

Starting with you lardyl
PM me as I cant officially say anything about the schools around here.....
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lardyl
PM me as I cant officially say anything about the schools around here.....
Will do mate
Old Apr 29th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Will do mate
Jack/Larydl....I would be obliged if one of you could PM me with any info. on schools? This is high on our wish list for moving.

Thanks