British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Schools - how to find out standards? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/schools-how-find-out-standards-445575/)

currytiffin Apr 27th 2007 9:30 pm

Schools - how to find out standards?

I've followed the posts about finding schools in different areas, and looked up the government sites, etc.
It looks as if there is more importance attached to 'deciles' [what percentage of nationality among the children] and not much said about the schools results. Looking up the ero site, which is the inspection report, it does not say too much about levels; and there is some political debate going on about the only website which shows exam results/league tables, which only the schools can access!! not open to parents!!
One school I looked up [Drury] had just ONE qualified teacher: the rest were local parents... and the inspection report did not condemn this.
The other thing that worries me is that children can carry forward 'points' from one year to the next - so if they do well at one level, and poorly at the next [for whatever reason] they may still pass that year, due to carryign forward their points...
Looking ahead to University - it matters to choose a school which has a good standard, and qualified teachers: Are there some teachers here and has :eek: anyone got experience of this?:confused:

Apple Tree Apr 27th 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Schools - how to find out standards?

Originally Posted by currytiffin (Post 4707676)
I've followed the posts about finding schools in different areas, and looked up the government sites, etc.
It looks as if there is more importance attached to 'deciles' [what percentage of nationality among the children] and not much said about the schools results. Looking up the ero site, which is the inspection report, it does not say too much about levels; and there is some political debate going on about the only website which shows exam results/league tables, which only the schools can access!! not open to parents!!
One school I looked up [Drury] had just ONE qualified teacher: the rest were local parents... and the inspection report did not condemn this.
The other thing that worries me is that children can carry forward 'points' from one year to the next - so if they do well at one level, and poorly at the next [for whatever reason] they may still pass that year, due to carryign forward their points...
Looking ahead to University - it matters to choose a school which has a good standard, and qualified teachers: Are there some teachers here and has :eek: anyone got experience of this?:confused:

i think its nothing to do with results, or nationalities ( although there is a pattern, but not allowed to say that) more to do with wealth of area, the higher the rating, usually denotes a wealthier, or more affulent area, something to do with amount of funding.

donnaf Apr 28th 2007 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Apple Tree (Post 4707767)
i think its nothing to do with results, or nationalities ( although there is a pattern, but not allowed to say that) more to do with wealth of area, the higher the rating, usually denotes a wealthier, or more affulent area, something to do with amount of funding.

That's my understanding too - the lower decile schools tend to be in poorer areas, usually have a higher percentage of PI / Maori children (in my experience) as these people tend to have higher levels of unemployment compared to Pakeha (as well as poorer health, increased morbidity etc etc). The lower decile schools get more government funding as there is an expectation that parents will contribute financially in the higher decile schools. My kids school is a decile 9 and we pay $250 per year each child in fees.
The best thing to do when you get here is visit the schools, that's what we did and you can get a proper feel for the place as well as ask questions. Also be aware that some schools are zoned and if it is a popular school you may end up paying more for a house as people will buy into an area for the school.

garryhg Apr 28th 2007 9:14 pm

Sorry...I don't want to take over this thread as Currytiffin has a very valid question to be answered. All I want to know is what sites should I be checking for info. on schools?

Thanks

Jack The Lad Apr 28th 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 4711318)
Sorry...I don't want to take over this thread as Currytiffin has a very valid question to be answered. All I want to know is what sites should I be checking for info. on schools?

Thanks

As far as I know there isnt any. Most sites go with the decile rating. All my research hasnt found anything like the scoring they do in the UK (which is flawed anyway) :thumbdown:

I suspect you need to pick the area in which you wish to move and then look at the schools and find the best one. If you dont like the schools in the area start again. I think its going to be something like that :thumbdown:

Not much help Im affraid :)

Wilma & co Apr 28th 2007 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 4711318)

Thanks

I found www.ero.govt.nz/ero to be helpful. A bit like OFSTED - gives decile ranking, number of teachers/pupils, ethnicity of pupils and a report of the last inspection. Also www.schoolzones.co.nz was useful.

Good luck!:D

lardyl Apr 29th 2007 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Wilma & co (Post 4711436)
I found www.ero.govt.nz/ero to be helpful. A bit like OFSTED - gives decile ranking, number of teachers/pupils, ethnicity of pupils and a report of the last inspection. Also www.schoolzones.co.nz was useful.

Good luck!:D

Yep, MrsL (Ministry of Ed bod) says that is the place, although the reports don't seem to say much about results and more about management and the Boards of Trustees (Governors)....... :sneaky: ... well the ones I have read. Probably best to roll up and ask the locals, particularly the ex-Pats :thumbup:

Jack The Lad Apr 29th 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4713002)
Probably best to roll up and ask the locals, particularly the ex-Pats :thumbup:

And thats excatly what we will be doing when we come over :thumbsup:

Starting with you lardyl :rofl:

lardyl Apr 29th 2007 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4713026)
And thats excatly what we will be doing when we come over :thumbsup:

Starting with you lardyl :rofl:

PM me as I cant officially say anything about the schools around here..... ;)

Jack The Lad Apr 29th 2007 11:05 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4713036)
PM me as I cant officially say anything about the schools around here..... ;)

Will do mate :thumbup:

garryhg Apr 29th 2007 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4713075)
Will do mate :thumbup:

Jack/Larydl....I would be obliged if one of you could PM me with any info. on schools? This is high on our wish list for moving.

Thanks