Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

schools and decile ratings

schools and decile ratings

Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future
Default schools and decile ratings

Hi,

I have been looking at school decile ratings in the Tauranga region in the hope that they might give me a rough idea about the types of areas.

I wondered if anyone who is familiar with the Tauranga region could tell me how accurate the following decile ratings are in judging an area. I believe tha decile 1 is the most affluent area and decile 10 the least affluent.

Welcome Bay 7
Greerton 10
Mt Maunganui North 4

These are just examples.
Also, if anyone has any suggestions on good value property areas (nice houses in nice areas) within cycling distance of Mt Maunganui area that would be really helpful.

Thanks

kathryn
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:43 am
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: schools and decile ratings

Originally Posted by kathm
Hi,

I have been looking at school decile ratings in the Tauranga region in the hope that they might give me a rough idea about the types of areas.

I wondered if anyone who is familiar with the Tauranga region could tell me how accurate the following decile ratings are in judging an area. I believe tha decile 1 is the most affluent area and decile 10 the least affluent.

Welcome Bay 7
Greerton 10
Mt Maunganui North 4

These are just examples.
Also, if anyone has any suggestions on good value property areas (nice houses in nice areas) within cycling distance of Mt Maunganui area that would be really helpful.

Thanks

kathryn
Hiya,

Although I can't help with areas to live I do belive that the decile rating works the opposite to how you think.

1 being from social economic deprived area
10 being from the least social economic deprived area.

Scott
Old Sep 30th 2005, 6:16 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by footloose
Hiya,

Although I can't help with areas to live I do belive that the decile rating works the opposite to how you think.

1 being from social economic deprived area
10 being from the least social economic deprived area.

Scott
Spot on about decile ratings - 10 are the best (ie higher socioeconomic location). Carmen.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Spot on about decile ratings - 10 are the best (ie higher socioeconomic location). Carmen.

...well it does say 'Rating' not 'Ranking'.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:34 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelvynd

Agreed.

Sorry, is this in relation to me writing 'best'? I was referring to the fact that a score of 10 is for the best (ie highest scoring) area, not that the schools themselves would necessarily be 'best', although this could be a debate in itself. Apologies if this has caused confusion in any way, I didn't think it was open to interpretation.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kelvynd

I hadn't thought of it in those terms before - you're right that does make sense.

Thanks to all who have replied to correct my mistake. At least I have the right information now.

Kathryn