British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Schools around Rangiora, Woodend and kaiapoi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/schools-around-rangiora-woodend-kaiapoi-636877/)

SHAZMARK Oct 21st 2009 4:18 pm

Schools around Rangiora, Woodend and kaiapoi

Hi just looking for information on schools in these areas, hope someone out there can offer some info and advice.

Just accepted an offer on our house at last!!, PR in place, jobs sorted looking to be on South Island NZ mid Jan/ early Feb

We have 2 girls aged 7 and 11.

Any info appreceaited

Mark

MnB Oct 21st 2009 5:12 pm

Re: Schools around Rangiora, Woodend and kaiapoi

Originally Posted by SHAZMARK (Post 8033872)
Hi just looking for information on schools in these areas, hope someone out there can offer some info and advice.

Just accepted an offer on our house at last!!, PR in place, jobs sorted looking to be on South Island NZ mid Jan/ early Feb

We have 2 girls aged 7 and 11.

Any info appreceaited

Mark

Can't help re NZ I'm afraid....but just wanted to say good luck with the move over to NZ and best wishes for your future!!
B x

zummerzet_lou Oct 21st 2009 6:53 pm

My little boy (5) goes to Primary School in Kaiapoi. (Kaiapoi Borough School).

Had a few teething problems (but that was mainly with him making new friends, and for us it's quite a culture shock going from the super-safe-prison type UK schools to wide open free NZ schools.

Anyway, after a couple of months he was more than settled in, and have to say we are impressed with his school and seems to be bringing out good things in him. He has a wonderful teacher, and loves going to school every day.

There is another primary school in Kaiapoi (Kaiapoi North School). If you google them, they both have web sites. Think they are much of a much-ness. Old kids then go into Kaiapoi High School.

I'm sure someone will be along soon from Rangiora and/or Woodend whom can help.

TeamEmbo Oct 21st 2009 7:41 pm

Schools in Rangiora are zoned. There is Ashgrove Primary which is in the 'favoured' north-west of the town. You will pay slightly more for a house in that area. I think CAN2NZ has children there so perhaps you could PM him for more details.

There is the Rangiora Borough Primary and Southbrook Primary as well as St Joseph's - Catholic primary and Rangiora New Life School - Christian school which caters for children aged 5-18 which had a role of 320 which has just been extended by 100 and is a state integrated school so semi-private and fees are around $1,100 per child (basic) per annum.

Children attend school by at least age 6. There are no intermediate schools in Rangiora, so primary schools have integrated senior primary kids into their schools which would be years 7 and 8. At around 13 they go up to high school - which is Rangiora High School.

In all schools you will pay for uniform and sports gear which is available from Postie Plus, DUS, Mainland and sometimes via your school. All schools will ask for a voluntary contribution of around $100-$200 per annum. You will have to purchase all exercise books and equipment, pens, pencils, folders, etc and some text books - some school supply you with a package at a set price, others will give you a list for that year group and the cheapest place I've found for such things is the Warehouse Stationery store (nearest one at Belfast so not too far to go) althouh there are local shops, Take Note and Paper Plus that also supply such items).

There are schools buses to run kids in from more rural areas. The Rangiora High School takes children from a wide area although there was recent press about the zones changing for Rangiora High and Kaiapoi High.

My two go to the New Life school. I think all the schools have websites so can be googled.

HTH

CAN2NZ Oct 22nd 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for the introduction Mandy (AKA Team Embro)

Let me start off by saying that schooling in NZ is a bit of a sore point with me. The quality between schools and in the same school can be very marked. I see quite a difference between the school our children attended in Christchurch and the school here in Rangiora. They are both decile 9 or 10 and yet the schools themselves are unequal in the quality of the education provided. This shows that the socio economics of the neighbourhood the school is in should not be relied upon to indicate the quality of the school.

Our kids attend the Ashgrove School. If you read the news letters posted on the school website you will get an idea that the principal has a weak grasp of the basic rules of grammar. I look at the quality of the year seven class my son was in last year to the class this year and am very disappointed. The year eight class he is in this year is very poorly run. There is a lack of consistency between the various year eight classes.

I have had a number of meetings at the school and there is an inability to meet committments made.

My son has been at school in NZ now for more than three years. He is unable to use cursive writing.

You have to be really careful when attending parent -teacher interviews. You will be presented with a chart that shows where your child sits against the NZ average. NZ has a very long tail on the social spectrum. This means that your child will more than likely be shown as performing above average, but he or she could actually be under performing because those students from less successful homes bring the average down.

It looks to me that there is a great deal of wasted time at the school. The curiculum calls for the students to receive second language training. At the same time, no funding is provided for foreign language teachers. I attended a French night school class and could not believe that there was a primary school teacher there who paid his $40 so he could learn some French to teach to the kids. My kids have had German and French at school, but what a total waste of the time as they received no real benefit unless counting to 10 is important. We do French at home and the kids know more than what is taught at the school.

What you may find is that the shools give a nod to the curiculum to get the check mark, but there is not much behind the facade. Reading the website for our kids school, you will quickly recognise the heavy usage of the "key words" or "catch phrases" that make one think of how Greeley spoke of his school in Nicholas Nickleby, the professions and what was delivered were quite different.

So, I am sure I have quite alarmed you, but really the between the lines message is the same one you should apply at home. You must be interested in what is going on at school, what they are doing and making sure that they deliver. A school is just another kind of factory and you have to fight to make sure your child is not treated as a product.

So, what to do? You should read the ERO reports and visit the school, talk to the principal and read the school website. Of course, post questions here.

All said, our kids are enjoying their time at school. However, I recognise that they are not getting the same level of education that I expect or we had available in Ontario. In the two cases we know of from home, the NZ primary students had to receive tutoring to catch up to their same year peers when moving to Ontario.

PM me and let me know when you arrive. We would be glad to have you visit and have Team Embro over too.

SHAZMARK Nov 1st 2009 7:44 am

Hello All

Thanks for the advice in regard to schools etc it really is appreciated.

Would anybody be able to offer advice on where to live in the same area?

We will both be working in Christchurch so travelling time is important!

Many thanks for all the info

Mark and Sharon.

TeamEmbo Nov 1st 2009 6:02 pm

Travelling time isn't that bad. OH currently works in Rolleston and it takes him about 45 mins. When he worked in the CBD it took about 20-30 minutes.

Anywhere in Rangiora is nice. The north-west is the favoured end. New sub-division. Personally we didn't like them - lovely houses and neat as a pin but too much like a uk housing estate feel. We live Southbrook end of town. House prices not as high and older stock - our house 1970s built - but generally larger sections. It only takes 10 minutes to walk to the town street from here. Best to have a good drive around and see what suits you when you come. Plenty of real estate offices. Be as specific as you can in what you're looking for and your price. They have a habit of showing newbies all the ones they can't shift first! And don't be afraid to haggle on price. It's not unusual to offer like $60k less than the asking so just have a really good look, get a feel yourselves for housing stock real worth and offer accordingly. Also, only ever make a conditional offer - conditions being subject to survey, LAN, LIM, finance and anything else like chattels you might want left. Once an offer goes unconditional you may the deposit and it's a binding contract.