Schools??

Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant future
Default Schools??

What are they like?? I know the year runs from Jan to Dec and they have 4 terms.
How do the years work?? ie. reception, year 1, year 2, etc??
My daughter has just started year 2, so would she go into year 2 in Jan there??
Any other info and opinions gratefully received!!

Many Thanks!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Schools??

As far as I remember there are Junior and senior schools, then university.
The kids start education later than UK, so an assesment is done to determine where to place the child eg. my daughter is 11, just started senior school and on age would redo first senior school year again, but on assessment is likley to be the youngest in her second senior year in NZ.

This link may help if you want to check out schools in the area you looking at.. this link to takapuna grammar on ero site http://www.ero.govt.nz/publish%5Creppub.ns4/Institution/2338F8385EC0565ECC257019000DCB48/$File/36.htm?OpenElement
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Schools??

Originally Posted by Dazlinsky
What are they like?? I know the year runs from Jan to Dec and they have 4 terms.
How do the years work?? ie. reception, year 1, year 2, etc??
My daughter has just started year 2, so would she go into year 2 in Jan there??
Any other info and opinions gratefully received!!

Many Thanks!!
Your daughter will probably be placed in a class according to when her Birthday falls. If the Teacher found her to be ahead then they would move her into the next class.

The School system is:
Children start at the age of five and can go through to the age of 18 and then on to Uni etc.
When they start at 5 the classes are called new entrants then goes yr 1,yr 2 and so on. Some schools have Primary and Intermediate combined which goes from New Entrants to Yr8 (12/13yrs) then they go to High School/College from yr9 to Yr 13.
The Schools have decile ratings ranging from 1-10 -The Ministry of Education uses a decile rating system for school funding purposes.

Each decile contains approximately 10% of schools. Schools in decile one have the highest proportion of students from low socio-economic backgrounds. Schools in decile ten have the lowest proportions of these students.

Also while children are at school dental treatment is free upto the age of 18 . Orthondist work is not free and is very expensive approx $5-6K