Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Schooling - who appropriates the places?

Schooling - who appropriates the places?

Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Schooling - who appropriates the places?

Obviously as we're not in NZ yet we can't apply for places directly, so what happens when people move/arrive mid-school year?

In the UK I'd approach the local council & be allocated a place - who do I approach in NZ?

TIA
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:32 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling - who appropriates the places?

Approach the school concerned, depending on the area you may find they are only taking children from their catchment zone or they may have room to be more flexible either at the Head's or school board's discretion.

Some schools need to run a ballot for out-of-zone places ready for the new school year but arriving mid-year it will depend on spaces at the school you are interested in.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as simonsi says you apply directly to the school. The children will need to have the relevant visa in their passports to benefit from not having to pay international student fees.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
as simonsi says you apply directly to the school. The children will need to have the relevant visa in their passports to benefit from not having to pay international student fees.
Thank you MrsF

Kids have got their Kiwi passports already sorted. My concern is that as we'll be arriving towards the end of the year we can't apply for places the normal way (if I'm reading it correctly applications need to be put in during the 2nd term). And the choice for secondary schools in Whanganui is much more limited, so what happens if there's no space at any of the schools? - worst case scenario I know
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:01 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KOH2
what happens if there's no space at any of the schools? - worst case scenario I know
Then you will be limited to the school you are in Zone for, who must take them AFAIK.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Then you will be limited to the school you are in Zone for, who must take them AFAIK.
Thank you simonsi - hope you're right.

Have just emailed the school to confirm this.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if you are in zone the school has to take you. If a school is not zoned they take anybody who applies to enrol there. If a school is zoned and you are not in the geographical enrolment zone, check with them if they take out of zone applications - some do and some don't, depending how full they are.

Last edited by A Rush And A Push; Mar 10th 2016 at 10:34 pm. Reason: Missed a word out
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in zone, the school has to take you regardless of numbers. You may find you turn up, show your proof of address and passports and the kids will start the same or next day so be prepared!
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:18 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

The choice for secondary schools in Whanganui is much more limited, so what happens if there's no space at any of the schools? - worst case scenario I know
Unlikely. I don't believe there's the pressure for school places here like there is elsewhere.

Whanganui has a population of 43,000 in total. I've never heard of there being competition for a certain school. I don't think I've ever seen a house advertised for sale with a remark about which school catchment area it's in.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you simonsi - hope you're right.

Have just emailed the school to confirm this.
She is right

If you are within zone the school has to take you.

The reason they try to have a time frame for enrolments (In Zone) is to determine the number of places they can offer out of zone. They include a buffer as every school has changes during the year as families move out or in of the area.