Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Schooling - Son is 15 years old?

Schooling - Son is 15 years old?

Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Schooling - Son is 15 years old?

Hi all,

We are hopefully going over to NZ, next June. Would do it early, but
we have decided to leave it to next year, our son goes into his
final year in High School in UK.

If we get over next year, does he carry on his High School Eduction, or do we look for a College?

Regards
Karen
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling - Son is 15 years old?

Originally Posted by Kags1694
Hi all,

We are hopefully going over to NZ, next June. Would do it early, but
we have decided to leave it to next year, our son goes into his
final year in High School in UK.

If we get over next year, does he carry on his High School Eduction, or do we look for a College?

Regards
Karen
PM Kerry W and Ted Logan,they got a 14 yr old-might be able to advise. Think it's college from 13.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Alliemack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

It will often depend on where you live and what your son wants to do after he leaves school.

Many, in fact most, secondary schools have students aged from 13 (the starting age) to 18. In other words years 9 to 13. There are no 'sixth form colleges' in the way the UK has them.There used to be places (can't remember what they were called and only in large towns) where students could go for a year or two after sitting School Certificate exams (end of year 11), but most students stayed on at the same school - usually only leaving if they couldn't study the subjects they wanted. The exam system has changed a bit I think in the past ten years, too.

Try searching the NZ government website for education for more up to date details.

If you have any other questions, about schools or anything else about NZ, please ask and I'll try to help.

Regards,

Last edited by Alliemack; Jul 10th 2007 at 11:31 am. Reason: Change of idea
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:57 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

my daughter is 15 and will be going into year 11 (UK school) in sept as she's 16 in November...we've decided that if we go to nz then we'll try and get her there for the start of the new school year in Feb.

She'll go to High School and i think she'll go into year 12 (NZ) but i could be wrong

We'll be going to chch but could be different in other regions
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
my daughter is 15 and will be going into year 11 (UK school) in sept as she's 16 in November...we've decided that if we go to nz then we'll try and get her there for the start of the new school year in Feb.

She'll go to High School and i think she'll go into year 12 (NZ) but i could be wrong

Hi Mandi,

Michael also starts year 11 in September, we were a bit concerned about taking him out off school before he does final exams next year, just in case it does not work out in NZ, how will he get on if we come back?

Have you looked into, what year the do there final exams?

Regards
Karen
Old Jul 10th 2007, 4:37 pm

Hi Mandi,

Michael also starts year 11 in September, we were a bit concerned about taking him out off school before he does final exams next year, just in case it does not work out in NZ, how will he get on if we come back?

Regards
Karen
We thought about this but felt that if we did happen to come back, all it would take is a year at college doing adult education GCSE's...i want her to get into their school system and as quickly as possible. we plan to give it at least 5 years anyway (fingers crossed) so this shouldn't be a problem.

think they do varying levels of exams...can't quite remember when they start though
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

The title is posed as a question. Are you sure he's 15?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Here is the link to the NZQA. It may have something about the school frameworks and qualifications etc there.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Hi Mandi,

Regards
Karen
Most schools follow NCEA. In year 11 (UK 5th form) - Level 1 - 6 subjects with maths and english compulsory are taken, in year 12 - 6 subjects with english compulsory and year 13 is 5 subjects with no compulsory.

Cheers
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mandie.H

My daughter is in year 11 here (she was in year 10 in UK) we arrived in January for new school year end of Feb. Just a bit of advice no matter how much you try to make the transition easy we have found that GCSE to NCEA equals

The subject material is so different our daughter is fairly bright and was predicted A star in 2 of her subjects. She is taking half the amount of NCEA progressing from level 1 this year but the work is so different and it is really hard to transfer. In the teen years there is never really a good time to move, please feel free to pm me if I can be of any assistance. I also have a son who started 'college' (like our secondary school. He is aged 13 and has found the transition so much easier GOOD LUCK!!!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Frenchy
My daughter is in year 11 here (she was in year 10 in UK) we arrived in January for new school year end of Feb. Just a bit of advice no matter how much you try to make the transition easy we have found that GCSE to NCEA equals

The subject material is so different our daughter is fairly bright and was predicted A star in 2 of her subjects. She is taking half the amount of NCEA progressing from level 1 this year but the work is so different and it is really hard to transfer. In the teen years there is never really a good time to move, please feel free to pm me if I can be of any assistance. I also have a son who started 'college' (like our secondary school. He is aged 13 and has found the transition so much easier GOOD LUCK!!!
PM on its way
thank you
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough

I noticed your thread and we are planning to emigrate in January to start the new school year down under. My sons are going into year 8&9 in September so when we get out to NZ they will both be in coolege. Is the work much different to ours??? Harder or easier? as i have had mixed messages about it.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

It really depends on how far they are with GCSE work. Take my son as an example. He was in year 8 UK came here in January and he started college in February. He has found the work really easy and is doing work at year 10 level although he is in year 9. It was a very good time to come here for him as he started the college years with all the others, It can be a bit frustrating at times as homework tends not to get marked and feedback isnt as regular/consitent as it was in the UK. On the other hand he isnt a kid that really needs dicipline he is generally fairly quiet and well behavedThink things would be different if he was more challenging as classroom discipline seems fairly poor (remember this is just in my experience)

Daughter 15 (Mandy I will pm you) was down the GCSE track and an example of how different things are I will site Maths. She was destined for A star maths (according to her predicted scores) LOVED her lessons had supportive peers and a good teacher. She moved from year 10 UK to year 11 here. straight into NCEA level 1 with no credits carried forward from last year (those students who were here at the end of year 9 took some credits then). Put her straight into a class where she didn't have that peer support first semester algebra (which is incorporated far more here than it was in the UK) and a teacher who lacks basic English communications skills. Result she failed the first 2 NCEA tests!!! She now has to pass all her level 1 tests this year to get to level 2 next year (we are now using a private tutor). She loved business studies and Art in the UK but gets really frustrated here at what seems a more 'rote' style of 'chalk and talk' approach. On the positive side her self confidence has grown and I think eventually she will thank us for this opportunity. Good luck to all with teens it is far from easy, just wish we had done it years ago!!!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough

It really depends on how far they are with GCSE work. Take my son as an example. He was in year 8 UK came here in January and he started college in February. He has found the work really easy and is doing work at year 10 level although he is in year 9. It was a very good time to come here for him as he started the college years with all the others, It can be a bit frustrating at times as homework tends not to get marked and feedback isnt as regular/consitent as it was in the UK. On the other hand he isnt a kid that really needs dicipline he is generally fairly quiet and well behavedThink things would be different if he was more challenging as classroom discipline seems fairly poor (remember this is just in my experience)

Daughter 15 (Mandy I will pm you) was down the GCSE track and an example of how different things are I will site Maths. She was destined for A star maths (according to her predicted scores) LOVED her lessons had supportive peers and a good teacher. She moved from year 10 UK to year 11 here. straight into NCEA level 1 with no credits carried forward from last year (those students who were here at the end of year 9 took some credits then). Put her straight into a class where she didn't have that peer support first semester algebra (which is incorporated far more here than it was in the UK) and a teacher who lacks basic English communications skills. Result she failed the first 2 NCEA tests!!! She now has to pass all her level 1 tests this year to get to level 2 next year (we are now using a private tutor). She loved business studies and Art in the UK but gets really frustrated here at what seems a more 'rote' style of 'chalk and talk' approach. On the positive side her self confidence has grown and I think eventually she will thank us for this opportunity. Good luck to all with teens it is far from easy, just wish we had done it years ago!!!
Thanks for that frenchy. My one son will be in the same situation as yours and the older one will be a year in front so hopefully not missed too much of their level 1. Quite bright kids so should catch up.
Cheers
Sharon
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scharlonie
Thanks for that frenchy. My one son will be in the same situation as yours and the older one will be a year in front so hopefully not missed too much of their level 1. Quite bright kids so should catch up.
Cheers
Sharon
Just noticed you are in good old Cannock!!! I moved from Sutton in January. My 2 went to The Arthur Terry School!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.