British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   schooling costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/schooling-costs-657000/)

DavenHelen Feb 27th 2010 8:16 pm

schooling costs

Hello all

We have submitted our ITA today, with no job offer. so fingers crossed we get a yes !:fingerscrossed:

We have 2 primary school age children, and would really like to know whether we would have to pay for them to attend school , and does it make a difference if we get WTR or a PR visa

Thanks

Dave and Helen

j19fmm Feb 27th 2010 8:19 pm

Re: schooling costs

Originally Posted by DavenHelen (Post 8380173)
Hello all

We have submitted our ITA today, with no job offer. so fingers crossed we get a yes !:fingerscrossed:

We have 2 primary school age children, and would really like to know whether we would have to pay for them to attend school , and does it make a difference if we get WTR or a PR visa

Thanks

Dave and Helen

I think you're fine with either visa, you'll have stationary costs and 'voluntary' contributions to pay and school uniform (in some schools). Check out Psychopandys update, she lists all the costs they've come up against so far. :) It's in NZ Update called About time too (I think) x

Jewelie38 Feb 27th 2010 8:34 pm

Hi Dave and Helen,
Where are you thinking of settling? There are lots of private schools in New Zealand but at the public schools you only have to pay a school fund and for stationery. Most now have school uniforms as well and PE kits, trips etc.
My hubby lived there for most of his life but didn't have kids then, have got most of the info from his sister. x

Foxesecho Mar 1st 2010 7:50 am

Hi Dave and Helen

I am sure someone told me it cost them $700 per week per child to send them to school as they did not have PR or a WTR.

I have just got the bill from the college and it will cost me $562 to send both girls to school for the year. That is without uniform costs which cost an arm and a leg eg school jumper $90, school shirt $50. Not Cheap :frown:

j19fmm Mar 1st 2010 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Foxesecho (Post 8383575)
Hi Dave and Helen

I am sure someone told me it cost them $700 per week per child to send them to school as they did not have PR or a WTR.

I have just got the bill from the college and it will cost me $562 to send both girls to school for the year. That is without uniform costs which cost an arm and a leg eg school jumper $90, school shirt $50. Not Cheap :frown:

You're right, if you don't have a visa at all you'd have to pay, but I think the OP was asking what the difference in paying would be between having WTR or PR visas. Either would get you 'free' schooling.

DavenHelen Mar 1st 2010 6:15 pm

Thank your everyone for your replies we are hoping for PR and just wanted to put our minds at rest.