Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Schooling - again.

Schooling - again.

Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Schooling - again.

Hi, we are moving up to Auckland next month - Greenhithe. I've been looking at schools for my son (15) and it looks like Glenfield college is the one that we are zoned for. Does anyone know what its like, do any of your kids go.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:16 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schooling - again.

Are some parts of Grenhithe not also zoned for Albany Junior High School ? of the two it's usually the more favoured, it covers years 7-10.

You can also apply for out of zone places at most of the other high schools on the Shore - Long Bay, Rangitoto, Westlake, Takapuna Grammar plus the church schools. May be a bit tricky this time of year but people do leave mid year so places may be available.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nerine
Are some parts of Grenhithe not also zoned for Albany Junior High School ? of the two it's usually the more favoured, it covers years 7-10.

You can also apply for out of zone places at most of the other high schools on the Shore - Long Bay, Rangitoto, Westlake, Takapuna Grammar plus the church schools. May be a bit tricky this time of year but people do leave mid year so places may be available.
Hi, sons in year 11, but just had a conversation with a school and they said we are in the zone for Rangitoto so I'll get in touch with them.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maz1
Hi, sons in year 11, but just had a conversation with a school and they said we are in the zone for Rangitoto so I'll get in touch with them.
Just phoned Rangitoto, no luck there, Outsid zone
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:05 am

It's hard to get in out of zone this time of year- most of the applications go in around Aug/Sept for the following school year, which starts in Feb.

back in a sec.....
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:14 am

Albany Senior High School opens next year - all those year 10 kids are going to have to go somewhere. Here is the link:

http://www.albanyseniorhigh.school.nz

Are you sure about the year group you're placing him into? guess if he's turning 16 soon then year 11 is appropriate. My daughter is 15 this year and she would've been in year 10 now if we'd stayed in NZ.

This is the link for school zones.

http://www.schoolzones.co.nz/enrolmentzones/

At the moment there is no enrolment scheme for the senior high, but I would think it's likely to be the same as the junior's, for which most of Greenhithe seems to be in zone.

If he does have to go to Glenfield until the end of this year - I guess that a fair few kids from Greenhithe will be going to the new senior school, so if he transfers there's a good chance that some of his new mates will be going too. Best to talk it through with the existing AJH school and see what the policy is going to be for filling the new school.

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 18th 2008 at 12:26 am.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nerine
Albany Senior High School opens next year - all those year 10 kids are going to have to go somewhere. Here is the link:

http://www.albanyseniorhigh.school.nz

Are you sure about the year group you're placing him into? guess if he's turning 16 soon then year 11 is appropriate. My daughter is 15 this year and she would've been in year 10 now if we'd stayed in NZ.

This is the link for school zones.

http://www.schoolzones.co.nz/enrolmentzones/

At the moment there is no enrolment scheme for the senior high, but I would think it's likely to be the same as the junior's, for which most of Greenhithe seems to be in zone.

If he does have to go to Glenfield until the end of this year - I guess that a fair few kids from Greenhithe will be going to the new senior school, so if he transfers there's a good chance that some of his new mates will be going too. Best to talk it through with the existing AJH school and see what the policy is going to be for filling the new school.
Yeah he is 16 in June. I have enquired about Albany Senior and we are in the zone. He will probably go to Glenfield, but whether to change when ASH opens, I dont know. See what he will want to do when that time comes. If he's happy where he is by then he can stay but obviously if all his mates move then he might be in a different mind. Just wondering if theres anybody out there whose kids go to Glenfield College.
Thanks for the info though
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:43 am
Just Joined

vingar will become famous soon enoughvingar will become famous soon enough

Avoid Glenfield College if you can. Rough as a tramps trumpet. The new Albany High School will be the one to go for.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have heard good and bad about Glenfield College I do not know of any kids from Greenhithe that go there but there must be some?? Just had a conversation with my son and he says that the only buses that come to pick kids up in the mornings in Greenhithe are Kristen, Pinehurst, Albany Junior High and Glenfield. May be worth finding out how much the fees are for Pinehurst (Private) for half a term and then swap him over when the new ALHS opens, I know alot of people in Greenhithe that send their children to this school? Kristen is Private aswell but I believe their fees are expensive Maybe, it would be worth waiting until you get here in a few weeks and then go and visit the schools, I did this when we returned from the UK. Good Luck and call us when you get here if you need help!

Just found out via a friend that Rosmini College is also a school you could consider if they have places - their link is http: www.rosmini.school.nz. Might be worth a phone call as I believe it is a very good college and I know of people who are not happy with AJHS and are considering moving their children to this one?

Jane

Last edited by Stuee; Mar 22nd 2008 at 7:49 am. Reason: Just found out another school may be in zone
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jane. How hard is it to get into an out of zone school. (Westlake, Rangitoto) Someone mentioned it to me and I was just wondering does it happen.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

upandrunning is an unknown quantity at this point

Glenfield has a very high maori and islander population it has its problems with gangs and also in the news this week the maori studies teacher has just been jailed(well home detention) for sexually abusing the kids. Westlake boys is one of the best schools in Auckland. Don't forget that you could rent a small unit for a few weeks in the right school zone. Alot of landlords will do short lets.($300 for 4 weeks cost $1200 for great school zone) Alot cheaper than paying school fees at Kristin or Pinehurst(which are good schools but not really good schools by English private standards also very snobby) Rangitoto has good reputation is massive and lots of Asian students(very clever and hard working so good results) We live on the shore and Westlake would be my choice for my boys.
Good luck, Greenhithe is a great place, good choice!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jane. How hard is it to get into an out of zone school. (Westlake, Rangitoto) Someone mentioned it to me and I was just wondering does it happen.
I think you would have a good case to get your son into an out of zone school - I have just been reading the blog about the new Albany Senior High School and it would seem that they are only taking year 11 kids from Feb 09. I would imagine your son would be in alot higher year than that?? They did this with Albany Junior High slowly introducing the kids each year and only having a year 7, then the following year they went up to year 8 and the new year 7 kids arrived (does that make sense). I know that Westlake is a really good boys school and many parents send their children here from Greenhithe, so there must be a bus, I will find out for you.
Jane
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stuee
I think you would have a good case to get your son into an out of zone school - I have just been reading the blog about the new Albany Senior High School and it would seem that they are only taking year 11 kids from Feb 09. I would imagine your son would be in alot higher year than that?? They did this with Albany Junior High slowly introducing the kids each year and only having a year 7, then the following year they went up to year 8 and the new year 7 kids arrived (does that make sense). I know that Westlake is a really good boys school and many parents send their children here from Greenhithe, so there must be a bus, I will find out for you.
Jane
Just had another thought, if he is 15 now then send him to Albany Junior High as there are kids there the same age who are turning 16 later in the year. It will do him no harm as noone will know him anyway. My son is 13 next month and all his mates turn 13 later in the year, I think he could be the eldest in his year. Just a thought for you to consider, then he will be friends with all the kids in the area.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stuee
Just had another thought, if he is 15 now then send him to Albany Junior High as there are kids there the same age who are turning 16 later in the year. It will do him no harm as noone will know him anyway. My son is 13 next month and all his mates turn 13 later in the year, I think he could be the eldest in his year. Just a thought for you to consider, then he will be friends with all the kids in the area.
I'll see about that on Monday He has an interview with the deputy head at Westlake boys on 5th May,he said he cant promise anything but will see what they can do, but no luck at Rangitoto.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

I'll see about that on Monday He has an interview with the deputy head at Westlake boys on 5th May,he said he cant promise anything but will see what they can do, but no luck at Rangitoto.
Have you telephoned Rosmini college, alot of children are being moved out of Albany Junior High to this school for different teaching resources and the parents are not quite happy with the way Albany Junior High teach as it is abit different? Apparently it is meant to be one of the better schools on the North Shore, I dont think you will get him into Rangitoto they are very strict on being inzone, but worth a try anyway. Goodluck, not long now until your move - shame you are not here tomorrow as Greenhithe School Fate is on and it would be a good chance to meet some locals. I am off to feed Molly the pig my scraps now.
Jane

Last edited by Stuee; Mar 29th 2008 at 4:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.