School Years

Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Question School Years

Can someone please tell me what year my daughter should be in at school. When I enrolled her the head teacher told me she was year 5, but her class teacher who has both year 4 and 5 children has told me she is year 4.

Her date of birth is 13 July 1997 if she is in year 4 that means

Year 5 age 10.5
Year 6 age 11.5
Year 7 age 12.5
Year 8 age 13.5
Year 9 age 14.5
Year 10 age 15.5
Year 11 age 16.5

Leaves school at 17.5...surely this can't be right?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Years

Originally Posted by phil01
Can someone please tell me what year my daughter should be in at school. When I enrolled her the head teacher told me she was year 5, but her class teacher who has both year 4 and 5 children has told me she is year 4.

Year 5 age 10.5
Year 6 age 11.5
Year 7 age 12.5
Year 8 age 13.5
Year 9 age 14.5
Year 10 age 15.5
Year 11 age 16.5

She can leave after Year 13, when she'll be 18.5 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_New_Zealand
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:29 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Can someone please tell me what year my daughter should be in at school.
I'm not sure, but New Zealand does do a lot of split classes. My ten-year-old daughter has done 1-2, 3-4, 4-5 and now 5-6. She's now in year 6.
Sorry, I don't know how it works.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:57 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

My middle child is in year 4 and she was born in August 1998

She's actually in a split class too with year 3/4
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Katmat will become famous soon enoughKatmat will become famous soon enough

Year 5 age 10.5
Year 6 age 11.5
Year 7 age 12.5
Year 8 age 13.5
Year 9 age 14.5
Year 10 age 15.5
Year 11 age 16.5

my son is sept 98, and he is year 4. so based on that, your daughter should be year 5
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Yes I would say based on all of the above my daughter should be year 5...thanks very much.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:53 am
Just Joined

lizGd will become famous soon enoughlizGd will become famous soon enough

My son is also a July born...he's 1996...and is in year 6 now. He'd move up to Intermediate in Feb, after the long summer holiday, so you daughter will be year 5 now, with another 18 months or so at juniors!
After the demands of UK schooling, I'm sure she'll find NZ schools easy...more song/dance/performing arts...no history/geography etc! (at least not at the school Kris goes to!!)
LizGd
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Liz,
Is this the liz that I got my new specs from today in the Plaza.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:13 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi Liz,
Is this the liz that I got my new specs from today in the Plaza.
Oh no ......... more pommies in Porirua
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:16 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Year 5 age 10.5
Year 6 age 11.5
Year 7 age 12.5
Year 8 age 13.5
Year 9 age 14.5
Year 10 age 15.5
Year 11 age 16.5

My daughter also has a mid-July birthday (though she's older than your daughter).

At 10 years old she was in Year 5 - commenced year 5 at age 9.5 and finished that year aged 10.5.

I'd go and ask the teacher why she says she's in Year 4 - is it because of pupil numbers, perceived educational level?????

If your daughter finishes school at the end of Year 13 she should be 18.5 years old.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Oh no ......... more pommies in Porirua

Just to add to our lovely little community.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Year 5 age 10.5
Year 6 age 11.5
Year 7 age 12.5
Year 8 age 13.5
Year 9 age 14.5
Year 10 age 15.5
Year 11 age 16.5

Have you thought that maybe YOU should tell the school what year your daughter should be in? When we came over we took the approach that our children required so many years schooling - they had collected some in the UK so that meant that they needed the balance in NZ and that determined which year they went into. No big deal and the school was absolutely fine with that.

Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

My son was 11 last month and is in Year 7 (Intermediate). When he started school here last October he was in Year 5 (Primary) but the school suggested, after a week, that we move him up to Year 6, as he had already covered the work they were doing.

He has settled in very well this year, although he is the youngest in the class.

Liz & Co
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Herm
Have you thought that maybe YOU should tell the school what year your daughter should be in? When we came over we took the approach that our children required so many years schooling - they had collected some in the UK so that meant that they needed the balance in NZ and that determined which year they went into. No big deal and the school was absolutely fine with that.

Cheers
I have told them year 5...but they disagree and say their cut off is May/June and her birthday is July so year 4! But I shall take it up with them again next time we meet...