Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

School year in New Zealand

School year in New Zealand

Old May 30th 2009, 12:09 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: School year in New Zealand

Thanks Bevs. I have actaully been in contact with Jen Birch by email in the last month or so but yet to follow up on some of the employment agencies that she mentioned. She also suggested that there was more support around the Auckland area but it is really difficult to know which way to turn right now. I want to research things out but at the moment I absolutely MUST get my OH's end of year accounts done before I get too engrossed in that. My OH's line of work could take us North or South Island and I would hate to limit ourselves until I have all of the facts. I am not that bothered by being right into Auckland and would prefer to be by the coast, like where we live now. It suits my son as well cos of his love of boats and the sea, etc. Will get around to sorting things soon but just have to get these blasted accounts done.

Thanks again, LB. Have finally been able to reward your efforts with some karma.
Old May 30th 2009, 12:43 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559335

has some discussion.

MrsL works for Group Special Ed in the MoE and says there is very little in the way of special schools in NZ, although there are more near Auckland.
Old May 30th 2009, 12:49 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. As he will have finished school in the UK by the time we depart (if we get the chance to that is), I will be looking more for post 16 provision - training, etc to help move him towards sustainable employment. Just gotta source what is available North and South - to keep our options open with OH's work, etc.

Ta, LB
Old May 30th 2009, 12:51 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
Thanks for that. As he will have finished school in the UK by the time we depart (if we get the chance to that is), I will be looking more for post 16 provision - training, etc to help move him towards sustainable employment. Just gotta source what is available North and South - to keep our options open with OH's work, etc.

Ta, LB
GSE in the MoE work with older kids than "school age". I can ask MrsL about it some time if you like - when she is not in the land of nod.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:01 pm
Newbie to NZ

That'd be gr8 Mr L if you would. Where in NZ are you by the way?
Old May 30th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

sparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nice

We are hopefully going to move over when my eldest finishes her GCSE's at the end of year 11 (2012), as my youngest will be just ready to start year 9. Will the school system recognize her exams so she can go on and do A levels and college etc.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

can anyone confirm how exactly it works for a child that starts school - I understand about the 4 terms but I was wondering does the child start on his/her own and just have to catch up with the others or do they start on the nearest term after their 5th birthday?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:26 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware they start on their 5th birthday, or nearest day after their 5th birthday.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
That'd be gr8 Mr L if you would. Where in NZ are you by the way?
oh dear forgot to do that, although I did mention it and she said depends on severity of the problem - we are up in Red Beach, next to Orewa on the Hibiscus Coast
Do you still want me to speak to MrsL? - PM me if you need to.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:18 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkywater
Will the school system recognize her exams so she can go on and do A levels and college etc.
I'm not sure I understand the question as you've referred to A levels (a UK specific term) and college (in NZ this term refers generally to high school).

If you mean could she be restricted to certain exams in the NZ school system then the answer is No. At year 9 no kiwi kids have sat any formal exams as such (eg. theres no such things as 11 plus) so she'll be on the same footing as evryone else. And even if your daughter was transferring straight into years 12 or 13 I still think it is possible to sit the exams in those years without having done the early year 11 (or 12) exams (generally NCEA level 1/2).

If you are talking about reverse compatibility (are NZ qualifications acceptable to get back into the UK system) then that is a whole different question. If that was a realistic possibility for you then considering a NZ school doing the Cambridge exam system might be best. And going back to a UK university will also have significant cost implications if the student has not been resident in the UK.

Last edited by southerner; Jun 10th 2009 at 6:38 am.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

We are hopefully going to move over when my eldest finishes her GCSE's at the end of year 11 (2012), as my youngest will be just ready to start year 9. Will the school system recognize her exams so she can go on and do A levels and college etc.
We are in the same position, My daughter has her last GCSE today then is finished with school forever!! (Her words not mine!!)
What will be her options when we get to BOP?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Actually they don't have to start school until they are 6! they have to start before their 6th Birthday and after their 5th...they can start anytime in that time.
Pre school ...there are public kindergartens. Most kids start these at around 3 with 3 afternoons per week.. At four they start attending for five mornings a week.
Hope this helps
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

sparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nice

[QUOTE=southerner;7650881]I'm not sure I understand the question as you've referred to A levels (a UK specific term) and college (in NZ this term refers generally to high school).

Thanks for your answer.
She would be entering the NZ system at year 12 with aspirations towards university. Is this feasible or is she going to be disadvantaged.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Actually they don't have to start school until they are 6! they have to start before their 6th Birthday and after their 5th...they can start anytime in that time.
Pre school ...there are public kindergartens. Most kids start these at around 3 with 3 afternoons per week.. At four they start attending for five mornings a week.
Hope this helps
thanks for that info - i was also wondering - say for example my child turns 5 in May 2010 so he starts on the next term after his 5th birthday, does he start with other kids that have their 5th birthday near his or is he the only new child in the class? Would he have missed what all the other 5 year olds learned in the previous term? is everyone in the whole class new? Cant get my head around the "will he be the only new kid in the class thing"? If not there must be heaps of classes in the school - Sorry having a really dumb day!!!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:27 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your answer.
She would be entering the NZ system at year 12 with aspirations towards university. Is this feasible or is she going to be disadvantaged.
No I don't think so. Why do you think she would be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.