Reload this Page >

School Year Cut-off Dates

School Year Cut-off Dates

Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Franc0scard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Year Cut-off Dates

Hi,
Can anyone please advise what the DOB cut-offs are for NZ school years? My husband has been offered a 1 year contract in Auckland. We only intend on staying for a year as we don't want to leave the UK permanently (we just fancy a change of scenery for a little while). We have three children aged 5, 7 and 9 and all born in the months of July or August. They are currently Year 1, Year 3 and Year 5. We don't really want them to spend the time in NZ still in the same school year so they are behind when they get home.
Can anyone let me know which year they are likely to be assigned to? We would be probably move over in July.
Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School Year Cut-off Dates

I don't think there are any hard and fast cut-off dates, it depends on the school and the parents and what's best for the individual child. The latest date I have heard of is 1st June, though.

I *think* they would go into Year 1, Year 3, and Year 5 in July - so half way through the school year, which finishes in December, and then move up to the next year group in Jan/Feb. I need to figure this out for my younger two (Sep born)! Email schools in the area you're interested in and see what they say.

The curriculum is different, so they may need to catch up in some areas when they go back to the UK, or they may be ahead in other areas.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_New_Zealand

See the table which details the years of schooling and where your children should be.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Brilliant, thank you!
Old Apr 19th 2016, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your replies. So is the cut-off date the 31st of March? It's slightly confusing - why is it not the 1st Feb when they start the new school year?
So depending on the school could they put a child in with the year above (if they were gifted academically but born in April/May) but unlikely to do this if they were born in July/August?
Was anyone else in a similar situation?
Also are state and private schools the same in terms of how they assign children to year groups?
Sorry lots of questions. All help gratefully received.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

You need to confirm with the school/s about their cut-off dates. My eldest is currently in Year 7 and has a late April birthday. The schools we've talked to have said it's mostly up to us whether we put him in Year 7 or Year 8 if we arrive this year. It's not just based on academic ability.

For those kids born later in the year, like my other two and your children, I don't think there's much leeway (though all depends on the child, I guess). From memory, someone on here had their daughter put up a year..?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:38 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franc0scard
Many thanks for your replies. So is the cut-off date the 31st of March? It's slightly confusing - why is it not the 1st Feb when they start the new school year?
Because some parents forget when the year starts and their kids have to be dragged into school. I kid you not. Many are migrants who have travelled back home in the hols, and wander back when they feel like. Unfortunately not all migrants are as good as the Brits about following the rules!

As already commented, each school is different, but assuming the school is not full, you could probably get them in any time of year. From the kids' point of view, they might find it easier to start in Feb when there would be some other new kids.

Another option is home schooling.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you say you don't want them to be behind when they return to the UK. NZ education is very very different to the UK so they will have to start here and then start again in UK, luckily your children are at an age for secondary education so just take it as a life experience for them and not focus so much on education, obviously they will learn things here that they won't learn in the Uk and visa versa, all will expand their minds.

We moved my daughter from yr 7 straight to yr 9 (college) as she has been in UK education for 6 yrs and was extremely bored in primary here
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I'll start contacting some schools in the next few weeks. My husbands place of work would be Takapuna. Does anyone know of any good state primary schools nearby? Is there a website where I can find out about school performance etc?
Many thanks
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:04 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

eLearning Schools Search

just type Takapuna in the search box on the left

just remember that the higher the decile the less funding from the Government and more from the parents and does not reflect the rating of the school
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:11 am
Just Joined

fourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of light

One thing I think is good over here is the flexibility that that schools/parents have as regards year group placement. That said I think the youngest I have heard in a year group is April. I know people that have requested their children repeat a year and where the school has recommended the child repeats a year.

If you are only coming for a year I would either put them in a state school and have a very relaxed attitude to what they cover or put them in a private school. If you are in Takapuna two private schools spring to mind - Pinehurst and Kristen (I personally don't have experience of either though). There are buses that go to Kristen, not sure about Pinehurst.

My experience of the state school we used was large class sizes, no TA support (even where there is SEN requirement) and a very laid back attitude. Some schools don't have a uniform and allow jandals (flip flops) to be worn in school.

Be aware that you will be asked to pay a fee to attend a state school, normally around $500, you will also need to buy an extensive list of stationery. There is also a charge for trips although this is great because you pay for them all at once rather than endless pieces of paper requesting money. If you have to buy uniform your eyes will water although general stuff like grey shorts etc can be ordered from M&S.