British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   School uniform prices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/school-uniform-prices-874020/)

KOH2 Mar 9th 2016 8:53 am

School uniform prices

I've just had a look at the school uniform prices & nearly had a heart attack.

How do you cope when you've got more than one kid in school? Are there any second-hand school uniform sales (like they do at the end of the year in our UK school)?

Also are there any state schools that don't require uniform (doesn't matter where in NZ - just want to get a general idea)?

TIA for your replies:)

Snap Shot Mar 9th 2016 6:14 pm

Re: School uniform prices

If you are sending your children to, 'Wanganui Collegiate School' there are second hand uniforms for sale next to the brand new uniforms in the uniform shop in Whanganui town centre.

It's a regular clothes shop called, 'Andersons' with an area dedicated to school uniforms and stuff. Each, 'house' i.e. Selwyn House, Godwin House etc has it's own colours for cross country running. As you do.

Other than that, it's charity shops and the classified ads at the back of the local newspaper for second hand uniforms. Unless someone at the school has any ideas.

Tesco doesn't seem so bad now, does it ?

MrsFychan Mar 9th 2016 6:32 pm

some colleges in Wellington do not require uniform, don't know about other areas.

MOSO Mar 10th 2016 3:15 am

I certainly wouldn't choose a school by whether or not it has a uniform, suffice to say most secondary schools do and there are lots of other costs to be taken into consideration!

Most colleges offer payment plans so all costs including uniform, text books, trips, "donation", course costs etc. are spread out over the year. Some also offer payment plans for buying BYOD devices. It doesn't make it any cheaper, but it cuts down the initial costs. Buying 2nd hand is also an option.

j19fmm Mar 10th 2016 5:56 am

Our local High School has second hand uniform for sale and the local Facebook community page is a great place for getting uniform - and anything else!

Justcol Mar 10th 2016 7:42 am

Cambridge high uniform is available at the warehouse

jmh Mar 10th 2016 6:57 pm

Many primary schools have a uniform made up of generic items that you can buy at low-cost shops like Warehouse. E.g. polo shirt, fleeces, black shorts and sandals.

KOH2 Mar 10th 2016 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11890880)
If you are sending your children to, 'Wanganui Collegiate School' there are second hand uniforms for sale next to the brand new uniforms in the uniform shop in Whanganui town centre.

It's a regular clothes shop called, 'Andersons' with an area dedicated to school uniforms and stuff. Each, 'house' i.e. Selwyn House, Godwin House etc has it's own colours for cross country running. As you do.

Thank you Snap Shot. Yes, I've already googled up Wanganui Collegiate + the High School. Strictly speaking I've always had a problem with uniform in general (esp. the expensive logoed type - IMHO it's just a licence to print money). But apart form the expense (which can be offset by not having to buy that many normal clothes) I just think it sets the kids on a road to conformity from a very young age IYSWIM.

Having attended primary school in Poland (many yonks ago) we used to have to wear a sort of pinny/overcoat emblazoned the school badge over our normal clothes. Nowadays, I think it's a free for all with the kids allowed to wear their normal clothes which I realise can lead to peer pressure & bullying. Problems you have when you can compare & contrast different cultures you've lived in, eh?

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11890880)
Tesco doesn't seem so bad now, does it ?

Tbh I also remeber the shock of school uniform prices in the UK once the older one transitioned to secondary school - unfortunately Tesco wasn't an option:( So I hate with a vengeance ANY school that restricts my buying choices based on some logos embroidered onto the clothes & thinking it's fair to triple the price.

KOH2 Mar 10th 2016 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 11891213)
I certainly wouldn't choose a school by whether or not it has a uniform, suffice to say most secondary schools do and there are lots of other costs to be taken into consideration!

Yes, I realise that;)

Most colleges offer payment plans so all costs including uniform, text books, trips, "donation", course costs etc. are spread out over the year.

That's good to know - in Poland for example I know a lot of families struggle as they have to provide all the stationary + textbooks at the beginning of the school year and 'donations' are spread throughout. I'm really beginning to appreciate the British system (& wondering how they manage to cope). Apart from the kids school trips & uniform we really didn't need to pay for anything else.

Some also offer payment plans for buying BYOD devices. It doesn't make it any cheaper, but it cuts down the initial costs. Buying 2nd hand is also an option.

I hope there's insurance you can buy for the BYOT devices - I dread to think what my DD phone looks like after only a few months usage. Is it really wise requiring them to have technology worth at least a couple of hundred quid in their school rucksacks? I've seen some colleges (in Welly unfortunately) only requiring USB sticks - much better (from our financial viewpoint). Ah, rant over.

And thank you for your input MOSO:)

MrsFychan Mar 10th 2016 8:01 pm

colleges are slowly going to computer based learning so do expect them to want you to provide a device. The college my daughter goes to expects all students to have one by 2018, if I am remembering correctly

A Rush And A Push Mar 10th 2016 11:59 pm

Where I am (Auckland) there are some Facebook pages selling only second-hand school uniforms. People also list them on Trade Me.

MOSO Mar 11th 2016 2:37 am

I dread to think what my DD phone looks like after only a few months usage. Is it really wise requiring them to have technology worth at least a couple of hundred quid in their school rucksacks?

I have 2 children at college and yes they both have to have their own device which they use every day, either chromebooks or laptops. They use google docs so the teacher often puts their homework on their device and they access it from home. My son had to for the last 2 years at primary too. They both have light laptops that they take in a padded pouch.

Course fees vary from $5 for maths, $10 for health, $75 for art and $100 for home economics.

Of course we could alarm you about school trips while we're here. My kids's school offers trips to France ($9000), Japan, China ($6000), Mexico ($7,000) and Australia available depending on your subjects.

j19fmm Mar 11th 2016 5:19 am

There are definite pluses for uniform...and that is not having to buy a whole load of school appropriate clothes, that are also acceptable to young adults!