Reload this Page >

School terms times etc

School terms times etc

Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

doyley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School terms times etc

Hi all,

The kids asked me at the weekend what school are like over there, what time do they start finish term times that kind of thing, is it the same as UK?

I'm moving out a few months before the family so I have time to get all this together, but they are very excited and keep asking question that are not based around my work so I don't know yet
Old Feb 5th 2018, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School terms times etc

Why can't you google some schools in the area you are moving to and you can show them.

https://sites.google.com/hobsonvillepoint.school.nz/hps
Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Kids start school on or around their 5th birthday, there are no reception classes here. there are primary, intermediate, full primary and college. primary are year 1-6, intermediate 6-8, full primary 1-8, college 9-13. (they go to college when they are around 13yrs old)

school generally starts at 9 ends at 3. college 8.50 - 3.15 with late start on thurdays, 10am.

4 terms beginning in late Jan, early Feb - April 2 week break, April/May - July, 2 week break, July - Sept, 2 week break, Oct - Dec. 6 week break. terms can be 9-12 weeks long.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/education...hool-holidays/
Old Feb 5th 2018, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doyley
Hi all,

The kids asked me at the weekend what school are like over there, what time do they start finish term times that kind of thing, is it the same as UK?

I'm moving out a few months before the family so I have time to get all this together, but they are very excited and keep asking question that are not based around my work so I don't know yet
Primary children can start on their 5th birthday and are known as year 0. Some schools start at 9, some slightly earlier. Finish times depend on how long breaks are during the day - can be 2.30pm. The beginning of the school year (Jan/Feb) and the end of the year dates are slightly flexible ie if you start later in Feb then you finish later in Dec. In all the school must do a certain amount of days and hours - 40 weeks per year.

High School or College have slightly shorted terms, probably because of slightly longer days. If your child is already in High School they may join a different year level here. I found our local High School very accommodating.

Not all Primary schools have uniform.

Most schools have a good website or Facebook page, or go on Google and look around the outside and then look from above at the outside space. Most schools are also zoned so when looking for a house make sure you check that.

It is very exciting and can be a bit daunting too. We chose to get a house within walking distance of the High School so that we didn't add the stress of new buses into the mix. Once they can drive - at 16!! - you can move further out of town.

I'm a Primary school teacher here so if I can help just ask away
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:18 am
Just Joined

redetzky79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j19fmm
I'm a Primary school teacher here so if I can help just ask away
Hi. I have few questions if you don't mind, I thought I'll use that Thread instead of opening a new one.

If we arrive in NZ it will be probably around April. How difficult would it be to enroll our daughter to a primary school at that time? Is it possible to join in the middle of a term?

The other, even more significant question is, since our daughter (and us) are not British and English is not our first language, how would that affect enrollment to a school? Our daughter is 6 years old (will be 7 in October), her English is basic, she can introduce herself and that's pretty much it. She will be eligible to go to a state school as a domestic student based on our visas. Is it possible for her to get enrolled just like every other kid or will she need to go to special English classes first? Are there any programs (like staying after classes each day etc.) in schools to help non-English speaking children with the language? Have you ever come across a situation like this?

Thanks for help!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Google is great, but hearing experiences etc and opinion is always nice, I find it's a better way to put things across to the kids, that's why I ask on here, I can google all day long, or I can ask people on here who like to answer and give more in depth answers at that.

Thanks everyone, I'm arriving in March, kids in may.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:11 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redetzky79
Hi. I have few questions if you don't mind, I thought I'll use that Thread instead of opening a new one.

If we arrive in NZ it will be probably around April. How difficult would it be to enroll our daughter to a primary school at that time? Is it possible to join in the middle of a term?

The other, even more significant question is, since our daughter (and us) are not British and English is not our first language, how would that affect enrollment to a school? Our daughter is 6 years old (will be 7 in October), her English is basic, she can introduce herself and that's pretty much it. She will be eligible to go to a state school as a domestic student based on our visas. Is it possible for her to get enrolled just like every other kid or will she need to go to special English classes first? Are there any programs (like staying after classes each day etc.) in schools to help non-English speaking children with the language? Have you ever come across a situation like this?

Thanks for help!
What languages is she fluent in?
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Polish
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Polish
Ok well depending on the expats in the surrounding area will probably depend on how easy this is. Auckland North Shore for instance has a large Korean community and many primariy schools have regular intake of nearly Korean-only speakers. I’m not aware of any specific in-school assistance however so I’d plan to lift her English as far as you can before arrival as in-school translation isnt likely to be available (from school, teachers or classmates)...you should also look at language classes after you arrive in my opinion as that age is a hard one for schooling in a different language without slipping behind...
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Polish
There's quite a large Polish community in Auckland. Google up some groups on FB. And kids are really fast learners at that age. Are you coming straight out of Poland? Powodzenia
Old Feb 7th 2018, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Schools run esol classes to get children up to speed - noting that by nature they pick up the language quickly from interaction with other kids.

Not sure on visa but should be where ever you fall in to a school zone they have to take you regardless of time of year. We had student arrive last week of term 4 who literally just had enough time to get to know other names before the summer break.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ok well depending on the expats in the surrounding area will probably depend on how easy this is. Auckland North Shore for instance has a large Korean community and many primariy schools have regular intake of nearly Korean-only speakers. I’m not aware of any specific in-school assistance however so I’d plan to lift her English as far as you can before arrival as in-school translation isnt likely to be available (from school, teachers or classmates)...you should also look at language classes after you arrive in my opinion as that age is a hard one for schooling in a different language without slipping behind...
This is very good advice.

Her enrollment will not be affected if your visa allows it. The local government school is compelled to accept anyone in the intake area.

However, their ability to provide support for an ESL student of very limited English skills is going to be highly variable, and unless there is a strong Polish community where you are going to be, I believe you should go in assuming it will be inadequate.

Your daughter is also going to likely be extremely frustrated at not being able to access both lesson material and social life due to the language issues.

Do what you can to get her English up.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

PS - Further, it is a normal situation.

I would also suggest you contact whatever Polish cultural institutions are around, and seek advice from them.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

My 5 year old asks everyday now "when are we going to new Zealand dad?"
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys, that's really helpful.

Originally Posted by KOH2
There's quite a large Polish community in Auckland. Google up some groups on FB. And kids are really fast learners at that age. Are you coming straight out of Poland? Powodzenia
I'm coming from UK and they would come straight from Poland. Dzięki

Originally Posted by carcajou
Your daughter is also going to likely be extremely frustrated at not being able to access both lesson material and social life due to the language issues.

Do what you can to get her English up.
We are working on it and will help her once she starts school. We've been through a similar situation in the past, shortly after she was born we emigrated to Scandinavia for 4 years. When we came back to PL and put her into kindergarten she struggled to speak Polish, spoke Norwegian instead or was pointing finger at things not knowing how to name them She got over it eventually, I'm sure it will be the same this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.