School term query

Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Max & Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Question School term query

Hi,

We are hoping to arrive in NZ in Feb 07, we have two children.

One will be starting Year 4 and the other will be joining Year 3 in Sept 06 in the UK.

We have tried to work out what years they will be in in NZ.

Our eldest is 9 in Nov 06, does this mean she will join Year 5 in NZ in Feb after only being in Year 4 for part of the year.
Our youngest is 7 in May 06, will he be joining Year 3 in Feb after already completing one term in the UK in Year 3.

I have tried to find the answer to this on the net but haven't had any joy, can anyone help?

many thanks,

M & S
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: School term query

Originally Posted by Max & Steve
Hi,

One will be starting Year 4 and the other will be joining Year 3 in Sept 06 in the UK.

Our eldest is 9 in Nov 06, does this mean she will join Year 5 in NZ in Feb after only being in Year 4 for part of the year.
Our youngest is 7 in May 06, will he be joining Year 3 in Feb after already completing one term in the UK in Year 3.

I have tried to find the answer to this on the net but haven't had any joy, can anyone help?

many thanks,

M & S
We have a friend in Christchurch who is a teacher. We have asked the same questions. Nidge tells us that the kids will be evaluated and placed in the appropriate year. Kinda vague, I know. We are in the same predicament, but with four kids. The easiest one is our youngest who has been in junior kindergarten here for half a day, but will stay home when we get there and start again on her fifth birthday in September.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:34 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

many thanks,

M & S
I have two kids 9 and 7 both born in June. The 9 year old is in year 5 and the 7 year old is in year 3....both are fine and working well, hope thats a help.
Sue
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:31 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
From what I have been told there is some scope for flexibility and as someone already mentioned, your children are likely to be accessed. I have heard that because we start school earlier in the UK (ie often the year in which kids turn 5 instead of when they are 5 like in NZ) they are often ahead generally and may therefore go into a higher year group, although again I know of parents who opted against this for social reasons.

There is also a timing factor of when in the year their birthday falls (much in the same way that we have the Aug 31st cut-off throughout a lot of the UK).

From my own personal research, I suspect they may go into Years 4 & 5.

Best to ask the possible schools directly. You will also have an idea of your childrens' ability in terms of vs. national averages (SATS dare I mention them!) which may help you gauge a feeling of where they may go based on what the potential schools in question also say about it when asked.

Hope that helps a bit. Carmen.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
...someone already mentioned, your children are likely to be accessed.
Carmen, I hope my kids are assessed and not accessed. They are currently not USB compatible. Just poking a little fun.

Michael
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Starting School

A child starting primary school for the first time between July (when the school roll is counted) and 31 December of a school year, and aged between five and six, will be classed as Year 0.

Children who begin school for the first time between 1 January and before the July roll count will be classed as being in Year 1.

Children most commonly start school when they turn five even though schooling is compulsory from age six. Where children start school for the first time after the age of six, they are placed in the same year as other children of the same age.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:02 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
Carmen, I hope my kids are assessed and not accessed. They are currently not USB compatible. Just poking a little fun.

Michael
Oops!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by annaerb
Starting School

A child starting primary school for the first time between July (when the school roll is counted) and 31 December of a school year, and aged between five and six, will be classed as Year 0.
I have then been told in relation to the above that come the following January (the new school year) some of these children will stay in Year 0 as they may have effectively done less than a term in Year 0, or go up into Year 1 if the school feels this is more appropriate for their abilities.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Max & Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou everyone, you have all put my mind at rest a little, not that hubby will think so!!!

Maxine