Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

School nursing / public health

School nursing / public health

Old May 22nd 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

allisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really nice
Red face School nursing / public health

Hi all,
Have been a qualified nurse now for 12 years and have just qualified as a school nurse after gaining a BSc Hons.

What is the situation like in NZ for school nuring or public health. I am a children's nurse so could fall back on that but would love to live in New Zealand after having visited and school nursing is what i do!

If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Alli
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School nursing / public health

Originally Posted by allisonwantstoemigrate
Hi all,
Have been a qualified nurse now for 12 years and have just qualified as a school nurse after gaining a BSc Hons.

What is the situation like in NZ for school nuring or public health. I am a children's nurse so could fall back on that but would love to live in New Zealand after having visited and school nursing is what i do!

If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Alli
Hi Ali

I think it depends where you are really. But I have found that community jobs are still a bit rare, compared to hospital jobs which are very obviously bountifull. Saying that its worth canvassing the dhb in the areas you are planning on, as jobs do come up. Im in Hawkes Bay and there as been 2 public health (which incorporates school nursing) advertised in 6 months, both in rural areas. and part time. However its pretty small population.

With your quals your not going to have a problem, its just a case of getting your CV kiwified and making contact with the right people so you are in the loop.
The good news is, that there are also health promotion nurses and all sorts of related positions as its a very community based health care system. a bit like the UK really, you take whats on offer and then move around internally.
Good Luck
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

allisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really nice

Thanks for the reply!

i will start to look on the DHB sites, and hopefully something may come up!

May also consider australia too so will source them out!

thanks again.

alli
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Hi Alli,
have PM'd you but I'm a primary health care nurse (I think that's what I'm called this week) with RGN / RSCN qualifications. I work in Union Health which is a community practice run by and for the community (not GP managed). There are apparantly often vacancies in this line of work as you work in the poor areas with a deprived population - I love it, you can really make a difference to people's health and you don't need practice nurse qualifications. There is tons of on the job learning and support so this may be somethin else you can look into.
Donna