British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   School information for Hastings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/school-information-hastings-840855/)

lglennon1 Aug 13th 2014 12:39 pm

School information for Hastings

Hi,

We are looking at the possibility of a move to Hastings/Havelock North area. I understand the schools in Havelock are good but don't really know about Hastings.

Can anyone provide me with information on the primary and secondary schools in Hastings (I know to avoid Flaxmere). Also I understand the deciles for a lot of the schools in Hastings are quite low but what are the nice areas there (and good schools), and are there any other areas to avoid?

Sorry for the question overload but want to get an understanding of the schools in Hastings versus Havelock.

Many thanks

Louise

bearskin Aug 14th 2014 6:28 am

Re: School information for Hastings

Is it Hastings where the older school kids have a pie sandwich for lunch? Yes, that's a pie in two slices of bread - mince and cheese I think it was.

Why Hastings? Napier and Havelock North are just nearby, and i hear people rave about them - the private schools in Havelock North are amongst the best in the country.

Soozi Aug 14th 2014 11:32 pm

Did you know you can read the official school reports online? Visit ero.govt.nz. You can put "Hastings" in the search box and you will find the ERO (Education Review Office) reports on every school in Hastings.

lglennon1 Aug 15th 2014 10:10 am

Thanks for the replies.

I am aware that I can view the reports online (and have done so for a number of schools) but was looking to get the perspective of someone who lives there as there is only so much you can get from reading a report.

In terms of location, we are also looking at Napier & Havelock North but as my husband's job would be based in Hastings we wanted to check out the options there too as means we may be able to manage with one car.

Any suggestions on Napier areas outwith Taradale/Greenmeadows which I have read about on the forums would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Polly 3 Aug 20th 2014 11:57 pm

I also would welcome any opinions from folks living in the Hawkes Bay on Hastings area.
The greater Hawkes Bay and country areas around Hastings appears to be a mine field, people saying that area is OK, but 1k down the road is a no go area and I'm totally confused.
We have found our "perfect" home in Hastings, I have looked at the crime figures, the local schools web site, sat outside the house and walked the area to get a feel for the place and I see nothing wrong. Personally I would LOVE to live in Havelock North, but there is just not the sort of place available we want to buy and if there was it would be an outrageous price.
We have looked at Napier and it surrounds as well, either the sections are tiny and or parking is a problem, or the areas of Taradale and the like, have great LSB sections and really we dislike the style of homes.
Iglennon1, we have friends who have 3 children at Taradale primary and they say its OK, they are noticing a few problems with the large amount of older children in Taradale and are considering private secondary schools.
Yes we all know to avoid Flaxmere, but I would LOVE someone with local knowledge to give their opinion on living in Hastings and what they think of the country areas around Hastings.
Where are you located Iglennon1? good luck in your hunt, mine is not going well, got to the point about thinking of moving a house onto an empty LSB and thats scary!!!!!!!!!!!

mojo Aug 21st 2014 9:42 am

Hi there We have been in Hawkes Bay 10yrs now, we moved here when our daughter was 13yrs she is now 23yrs. She left Havelock High 5yrs ago, So I am afraid I can't help much with schools. We choose to live in Havelock, and one of the reasons for choosing Havelock was for the high school everyone we spoke to recommended it. I have a few friends living in Havelock with younger children who all send their children to the Havelock schools. Sorry I can't help with schools in Hastings.
We also have friends who live in Napier they sent their girls to napier Girls high they were very happy with the school.
As for nice area's to live in Hastings I would say Frimley is quite popular, there has been a lot of new house's built there in the last few years, but again it's like everything it all depends on what you are looking for. We looked at a couple of house's ourselves close to town a few years back but after 5yrs in Havelock and not having to worry about schools anymore we decided to buy a lifestyle block just outside of Hastings.

mojo Aug 21st 2014 10:09 am

Hi Polly, We live on a lifesyle block in Maraekakaho about 20mins outside of Hastings, we lived in Havelock for 5yrs they both have their plus and minus, depends what you are looking for. Not sure if I can help with the area you are looking at we looked at lots of place's Otane, Waipawa, waimarama etc and did lots of research before we bought where we are now. We didn't need to research schools as our daughter had already moved to Wellington. So if I can be of any help just let me know.

lglennon1 Aug 21st 2014 4:47 pm

Hi Polly,
We are currently in Edinburgh in Scotland but hoping to make the move early next year if all goes to plan. We spend a couple of days in Hastings area last year and drove through Havelock North on our way south. Lovely wee place but as you say, it is more expensive. We would love a lifestyle block but think it might just make things difficult for the kids being able to play with their friends after school.

Also looking at Kapiti Coast with commute to Wellington, and also New Plymouth as these are the other areas my husband is likely to get a job in (don't fancy living anywhere near Auckland) as would prefer to live in a smaller town. Any comments welcomed on either of these two places too!

Polly 3 Aug 21st 2014 10:29 pm

Good grief, Iglennon, so are we, looking at the Kapiti coast I mean. I have lived in Wellington for 20 years, so know that area too.
Thanks mojo, we are looking for about 2ha of land and an older style home, pre 1940's anyway, which in an area that had most homes taken out with the earthquake makes life difficult.
We have dogs and horses and I am a keen gardner, I LOVE the weather in the Hawkes Bay and its our number one place on our house front. We don't have children, so schools are not important to us, however they are important for resale, which is also something to think about. My dream is to buy a huge place, at least 5 bedrooms are develop a B&B/homestay. To that end, we don't want total isolation and need to be within ten mins drive to cafe/restaurants to support our business ideas. Been looking for 5 months now, everyone tells me that more houses will be available after winter, I sure hope so!!!

lglennon1 Aug 22nd 2014 6:39 am

Hey Polly, any advice you can give about what areas are good on the Kapiti coast? Had been looking at Paraparamua, Raumati and possibly Waikanae as well as some areas closer to Welly such as some of the suburbs of Porirua City. I assume if you have lived in Welly for 20 years then you might have been to visit a few times? We spent a couple of days in Welly last year when we were over on holiday and loved it but don't want city living. Had a fantastic meal in one of the seafront restaurants, the Crab Shack, truly amazing food. Will definitely need to go back there for another meal sometime. Good luck with the house hunting.

Polly 3 Aug 22nd 2014 7:25 am

Love all those areas on the Kapiti coast Iglennon1. Also consider Plimmerton as well. Good schools all round the area and good transport links to Wellington. Only thing to check, there is a new motorway being built in the area, this will speed up travel time for many, however, could also adversely affect some homes, so make sure you keep that in mind. The weather on the coast is warmer and less windy than Wellington and really only a short drive out. Papakowhai is also a suburb worth considering, no shops but good primary school, a short drive to Wellington and secondary school buses pick up from the suburb. The Kapiti coast was once considered the retirement area for Wellington, its left that reputation behind many years ago, thinking house prices may move upwards with the new motorway.
Have you thought about the Masterton area? further out again, but good priced housing, semi rural and good train service to Wellington.

lglennon1 Aug 22nd 2014 7:59 am

Thanks Polly, that's very helpful. We did visit Masterton on our way to Welly and really liked it but think it is too far for commuting purposes. Really want to keep commute to 1hr or less as no point in moving if we will end up with less family time :)

Clag Sep 4th 2014 12:23 am

Hi.. thought id give my thought..

I am currently living in Waikanae (only been here 3 weeks). Staying with my husbands parents who have been here 6 years. They moved to Waikanae from Wellington and much prefer it due to how beautiful it is, and the weather is also nicer. It takes them about 50mins give or take to commute to/from Wellington but they do leave early to get there and back so they dont get stuck in traffic.
My opinion, theres nothing I can say really missing from Waikanae, but it is a small town. Houses generally seem to be more separate/spacious than as you get closer to the city. Paraparaumu is also really nice also, lots of shops/restaraunts, schools etc.

MrsFychan Sep 4th 2014 12:59 am

avoid Pukerua Bay School. not a safe environment for children to attend. Had to remove both my children from it, eldest asked as she was so bored and could no longer take the bullying that the Head states does not exist. We have reported both the school and the BOT to the Education Authority and Education Minister and they are now having to make some changes but no where near enough for me ever to consider a return or recommend anyone attend and parents are still making noises about that disdain of the school and Management but lots are not prepared to stand up and be counted so their children have lots of days off or go to school unhappy. Worse standard of education and management we have ever experienced

MOSO Sep 4th 2014 2:54 am

Also be aware in terms of secondary schools that Kapiti College is introducing a zone this year as its roll has grown to about 1400 kids. Both the secondary schools on the coast are excellent and a lot of kids from around Porirua/Pukerua Bay currently commute up to Kapiti College (as Paraparumu College is zoned), but Kapiti's new zone will not include them, leaving them the options of schools in Porirua, Tawa or Wellington itself.

If you're moving to the coast anyway then both Paraparaumu College and Kapiti College both have very good reputations.