British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   School Fee (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/school-fee-874980/)

tinalouie Mar 28th 2016 4:01 pm

School Fee

Hoping to move over when my son finishes high school here in the UK. He is 13 at the moment so have lots of time to prepare the move and I am wanting to know what the norm is for 16 year olds in New Zealand and do you have to pay for college fees? We are planning on coming on a permanant residency visa.

escapedtonz Mar 28th 2016 8:31 pm

Re: School Fee

As far as I'm aware there is no "free" schooling in NZ.
You have to pay some sort of mandatory fee even for a state school of maybe $200-$500 a year. You may also have to pay extra for stationary and you will have to pay extra for uniforms, trips and events.
If you go the state integrated school route these are semi-private/private so have a mandatory fee and/or a mandatory attendance fee plus a voluntary fee which most people pay or so I believe.
Bethlehem College across from us which is apparently a great state integrated school charges $4000 a year per student. We wanted our boy to start there beginning of Feb this year as he turned 5, but we decided to send him to one of the best state primaries instead as it saves us around $3500 per year for 6 years. He will possibly attend Bethlehem College for his intermediate and high school years from age 11 onwards.
Another college called ACG in Pyes Pa which recently opened is between $19000 and $23000 per year plus trips and events.
Another college called Aquinas also in Pyes Pa is $11000 to $16000 per year depending on student age or $22000 if the student is boarding plus trips and events.

Justcol Mar 28th 2016 8:33 pm

We don't really have college as you would know it in the UK
At 16 you would simply stay on at school and complete year 12 and 13

There is no fee unless you want to send him to a private school, although
schools do ask for a voluntary "donation", which will vary from school to school.

Its usually a few hundred bucks, some pay it, some don't, the school will
have no morals in getting you to cough up, to the point of trying to shame
your kids in front of their piers.

tinalouie Mar 29th 2016 7:02 am

Thank you for your replies, they were most helpful. Can you tell me what age apprenticeships are available in New Zealand?

Justcol Mar 31st 2016 11:48 am

apprenticeships open to anyone aged 16 and up

I know 2 people in their 40's who have changed careers and done apprenticeships

heres a link
New Zealand Apprenticeships

tinalouie Mar 31st 2016 7:29 pm

Cheers buddie :-)

Lisa Maree Mar 31st 2016 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 11907511)
If you go the state integrated school route these are semi-private/private so have a mandatory fee and/or a mandatory attendance fee plus a voluntary fee which most people pay or so I believe.
Bethlehem College across from us which is apparently a great state integrated school charges $4000 a year per student. We wanted our boy to start there beginning of Feb this year as he turned 5, but we decided to send him to one of the best state primaries instead.

Escapetonz - I can't PM you as I'm a newbie, sorry to hijack but could I ask about Bethlehem College, is your family religious? I seem to recall it was a very religious school back in the early days when I was a TGC student. I'm trying to find a high school that is well regarded in the Tauranga area and the Girls College seems to have a lot of problems. However we are not religious / church attendees so I'm not sure if that takes BC out the equation all together . Any insight would be greatly appreciated:)

escapedtonz Apr 1st 2016 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree (Post 11910419)
Escapetonz - I can't PM you as I'm a newbie, sorry to hijack but could I ask about Bethlehem College, is your family religious? I seem to recall it was a very religious school back in the early days when I was a TGC student. I'm trying to find a high school that is well regarded in the Tauranga area and the Girls College seems to have a lot of problems. However we are not religious / church attendees so I'm not sure if that takes BC out the equation all together . Any insight would be greatly appreciated:)

Hi,
No we aren't religious at all really.
Our neighbours and landlords kids attend the school and both tell me that even though the school advertises strict Christian values all over its website and literature, it's not actually that religious, meaning they don't drill religion into the kids on a daily basis every hour of the day.
It is a well regarded school in the community and all across Tauranga but I believe you need an introduction letter from a vicar/minister and an interview with the principal to guarantee a child's place. It is an unzoned fee paying state integrated school.
They do allow a 5% non-religious intake, but I'm unsure of the criteria for landing a place if you are in this position ?
We will more than likely start attending church services in the community a year or so before we are likely to enrol our boy there in order to get him in the school. It is 6 years away at the moment so no rush.
If it means the entry route for him and us will be easier it's something we are prepared to do if necessary :blink:

MOSO Apr 1st 2016 7:25 pm

No, you don't have to stay at school for year 12 and 13. These could be the sort of places you're after which offer vocational courses rather than continuing at school. There must be others in different areas, I just know of these because they're local. One of my family did an IT course which led him completing an IT degree at Weltec. He started in the equivalent of Year 12 after leaving school having completed his NCEA level 1 at 16.

http://www.whitireia.ac.nz/Pages/home.aspx
https://www.weltec.ac.nz/