Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

Originally Posted by Browner_
Answer me one question then.
Why isnt it a FEE?
I believe it is to do with taxation. Donations can be claimed against. Fees cannot.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really? Why do you find it so very funny considering, from what you write , you haven't arrived yet and are yet to settle here
I enjoy healthy discussion and thats what we're getting here is it not?

Granted, maybe wasn't the most appropriate smiley, but I like it
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Education here isn't strictly free and there is a LOT of pressure put on parents to pay these donations, as well as hawk chocolate bars and lollies around the neighbourhood or workplace on behalf of their kid's school. There's been a lot of debate in the media on the subject of when is a donation not a donation. There was a huge media hoo-haa a while back with an extreme example being a school pushing for a mother to re-mortgage her home to pay for outstanding donations.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...ur-home-to-pay

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/toll...e=4&pagesize=5

If you're English, they will assume you're a cashed up Pom and can automatically afford the fees regardless.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Hi BEVS, just do what you think will work best with the poll . Thanks.

Last edited by Divine Comedy; Feb 20th 2011 at 9:00 am.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

I believe it is to do with taxation. Donations can be claimed against. Fees cannot.
Yes , I had forgotten about the % you can claim back , my accountant does that for me.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
If you're English, they will assume you're a cashed up Pom and can automatically afford the fees regardless.
That's alright then, we're Welsh
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:11 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick78
That's alright then, we're Welsh
oh dear - welsh, well they call it fees and charge you double then!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:21 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Setting out to do/pay the minimum is a poor way to settle in the first instance IMHO. I agree 50% of Kiwi's may well not pay the donation but it really depends on the circle you find yourself in when you arrive as to whether that is even relevant.

It will also be relevant to the decile of the school zone you choose, higher deciles mean the likleyhood of being surrounded by donation-payers is high, wouldn't want to ostracise yourself from the outset....personally if you choose a high decile school zone, I'd expect you to pay up.

See Bev's comment about why it is called a donation, leave your comfy UK definition behind and go with what happend here cos that's what is relevant.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy
Only 56% of parents paid the donation last year ( primary school)which leaves me wondering why the other 54% didn't pay?
Asking for 110% is a bit much even in New Zealand!

Why don't we make a cup of tea and rethink this whole thing from the start .
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

But thats exactly my point!

If the 'charge' is EXPECTED to be paid, its a fee.
If its Voluntary, its tax deductable.

But if the school calls it Voluntary but tries to make it effectively compulsory, that is tax system fraud!

And some people seem to think this is a good thing????

I pay minor 'voluntary donations' if I think its the best thing to do , and if I think the school is being responsible, and if I have the money.
I certainly dont consider that I have to pay them.

Last edited by Browner_; Feb 21st 2011 at 6:45 am.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:02 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
But thats exactly my point!
Quirky, idiosyncratic....welcome to NZ
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My understanding was that this system has remained in place because the parents prefer it that way. They want this funding peddled as donations so they can claim against tax. They also prefer it because they get a better say in where that money goes.
Still, what do I know. Ducks and cats don't go to school.

There was a good post about this subject a while ago.

ps
I haven't forgotten the poll.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Asking for 110% is a bit much even in New Zealand!

Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:02 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Charismatic
The thread or the entire NZ public school funding system
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:20 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: School Donation, to pay or not to pay?.....

Originally Posted by simonsi
The thread or the entire NZ public school funding system
If we’re doing that I’ll make a pot .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.