Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

School for child while on holiday in NZ?

School for child while on holiday in NZ?

Old Aug 9th 2018, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School for child while on holiday in NZ?

Is it possible to bring a child to NZ while they're on holiday for 6 mths from UK and enrol them in school in NZ? Will there be any costs or any other issues?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School for child while on holiday in NZ?

Visa ?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 7:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

nope unless you get a visa, or can show that a visa will be in the passport within a certain amount of time. Our first school allowed 2 weeks for us to show them the visa in the passport.
or I suppose you could see about international student visa but guess thats going to cost quite a bit
Old Aug 9th 2018, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

I've just checked with INZ. Max of 3 mths within a 12 mth period that the child is allowed to go to school while they're on holiday
Old Aug 9th 2018, 8:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand
I've just checked with INZ. Max of 3 mths within a 12 mth period that the child is allowed to go to school while they're on holiday
Do you have a link for that? Is it dependant on a particular parental Visa (eg WHV), I'd be surprised if schooling is allowed for a genuine holiday...
Old Aug 9th 2018, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

No I don’t. That’s why I called them as I couldn’t see anything on their site. They have to go to an international school too which obv costs.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 8:59 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

No I don’t. That’s why I called them as I couldn’t see anything on their site. They have to go to an international school too which obv costs.
They will certainly need to pay international fees, I'd still expect them to need a student visa though, the schools are very hot on that due to an INZ crackdown on student visa fraud.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

If you go here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-student-visas

and put in details (UK, less than 18 years, staying for less than 6 months) it gives all the options to study including a Visitor Visa.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:45 pm
It is what it is Member

If you go here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-student-visas

and put in details (UK, less than 18 years, staying for less than 6 months) it gives all the options to study including a Visitor Visa.
Yep and it clearly states there that Visitor visa is for "a short course", primary and secondary is only listed under the Dependant Child Student Visa.

The danger here is it will be the school who effectively police the visa, and primary and secondary schools expect Student Visa's - I have had to provide them and reproved them on many occasions. As stated there may be a short grace period given but its in the order of a week or two only.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Yep and it clearly states there that Visitor visa is for "a short course", primary and secondary is only listed under the Dependant Child Student Visa.

The danger here is it will be the school who effectively police the visa, and primary and secondary schools expect Student Visa's - I have had to provide them and reproved them on many occasions. As stated there may be a short grace period given but its in the order of a week or two only.
Confusing as I asked them the question when I called them and they said it is fine on a visitor visa.
It would only be for three months, but it would be good to know one way or another. It's not even for me lol I should just ask the mother to do all the running round really.

The mother will NOT be working. She will be on holiday so as I understand it the child can be also visiting on holiday and just pay for the fees for school.

Last edited by movingtonewzealand; Aug 9th 2018 at 11:25 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 11:43 pm
It is what it is Member

Confusing as I asked them the question when I called them and they said it is fine on a visitor visa.
It would only be for three months, but it would be good to know one way or another. It's not even for me lol I should just ask the mother to do all the running round really.

The mother will NOT be working. She will be on holiday so as I understand it the child can be also visiting on holiday and just pay for the fees for school.
TBH I would identify a likely school and directly ask them the question as they will either accept without a student visa or tell you it is required from their point of view, as they effectively control access to the school, their acceptance is pretty vital.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

OK so I couldn’t let it rest so I called immigration AGAIN to confirm that what they’d told me was fact and they have referred me to this (I also gave details that child will be in primary school and they confirmed that below still applies):

U2.5 When a student visa is not required

See also Immigration Act 2009 s 4

A student visa or variation of conditions is not required:
  1. for work visa holders to undertake any programme of study, or other training, authorised by their employer as part of their employment; or
  2. for temporary visa holders to undertake one or more programmes of study of not more than three calendar months’ duration in total per 12-month period; or
  3. where V2.35 or WI2.1.1(f) applies.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 1:44 am
It is what it is Member

OK so I couldn’t let it rest so I called immigration AGAIN to confirm that what they’d told me was fact and they have referred me to this (I also gave details that child will be in primary school and they confirmed that below still applies):

U2.5 When a student visa is not required

See also Immigration Act 2009 s 4

A student visa or variation of conditions is not required:
  1. for work visa holders to undertake any programme of study, or other training, authorised by their employer as part of their employment; or
  2. for temporary visa holders to undertake one or more programmes of study of not more than three calendar months’ duration in total per 12-month period; or
  3. where V2.35 or WI2.1.1(f) applies.
Ok - you will need to rely on the v2.35 clause I think as a random 3mth period of primary education won't probably neatly comprise a "programme of study" unless you can neatly attend for a given term. I still think you will need to check <with the school> that they are a signatory as per v2.35 (b) (ii) and are willing to accept the children on that basis. I would <not> assume all schools are aware of that level of INZ detail, all I have had dealings with are just. If you are looking at Primary schools especially you may also have to content with the chicken and egg zone complication if you don't have a residential address yet.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ok - you will need to rely on the v2.35 clause I think as a random 3mth period of primary education won't probably neatly comprise a "programme of study" unless you can neatly attend for a given term. I still think you will need to check <with the school> that they are a signatory as per v2.35 (b) (ii) and are willing to accept the children on that basis. I would <not> assume all schools are aware of that level of INZ detail, all I have had dealings with are just. If you are looking at Primary schools especially you may also have to content with the chicken and egg zone complication if you don't have a residential address yet.
Thanks for that simonsi. As you say it is definitely the V2.35 clause that applies to this situation, more than the clause that INZ gave me:
  1. for temporary visa holders to undertake one or more programmes of study of not more than three calendar months’ duration in total per 12-month period; or
So I think we have narrowed it down now anyway!

Also I’ve managed to find a school that fits requirements so all good.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to bring a child to NZ while they're on holiday for 6 mths from UK and enrol them in school in NZ? Will there be any costs or any other issues?
6 months is also a long time for a child to be out of school in the UK. I'm sure you realise you'll be fined for taking the child out of a UK school outside of normal term times, unless of course you have received approval from the school, the education authority, the local council, the local mayor and the Queen.....maybe the Prime Minister for good measure!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.