School Ages

Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default School Ages

What school year would my daughter be going into ?

Currently year 5 in Australia

Turning 11 in November 2014.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future
Default Re: School Ages

Year 6.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:24 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I would say yr 7. but could be yr 6 depends on the school. If she is academic then I would say if they try to put her in yr 6 then push for yr 7. Our daughter was put in yr 6-7 when we first got here. but they had her down as a year 6. after a year it was obviously she was ahead of the learning and in the 3rd term of yr 7 she said she was so bored and the prospect of another year at intermediate was making her unhappy. so we approached a college and after her test results she was accepted, so she actually only did one term of yr 8 before moving on to college.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

She is currently in the upper quartile of a highly academic school in Australia.

Like all kids she has strengths and weaknesses across the range of areas.

On none of her success can I refer to Genes, its all just hard work and peer influence.

At least the intended primary and intermediate schools are within walking distance of each other.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future

My daughter is in year 6 (although according to her age she should be in Year 5). Her birthday is April which I understand is the cut off and as she was above-average they put her up. She has a number of friends who are 11 in November and December.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

We are going to discuss with school what's right taking into consideration not just academia but social groupings.

How is your daughter finding the nz system?
Old Jul 13th 2014, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

My daughter is at a very small school (our choice, we have 2 huge ones within walking distance) so is in a Yr 5/6 class. That way both her 'academic' and 'social' needs are being met. She loves school (as she did also in the UK). I have worked in UK schools for 10 years and am now volunteering at my daughter's school (partly to see what goes on!!). Compared to our school in the UK and our school here, my opinion is:-

Much more relaxed in terms of timetable. Switching lessons around, spending more time on something because the children are enjoying it.
More independent thinking and working by the children. Much less hand- holding and sorting out their equipment/ books for them.
More homework, they are encouraged to do 30 minutes per night
Generally behind children of the same age in maths (not sure yet about English)
Less wrapping in cotton wool on the playground - they can climb trees and bring skateboard/ride their bikes.
More responsibility for jobs around the school given to older children, although kids in uk go to high school one year earlier.

Hope this helps, obviously my views only. Where are you looking?
Old Jul 13th 2014, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

As Kentish Girl says, the cut off is April (but is a bit flexible), so Year 6 should be right by her age. My daughter is an April birthday and we were given a choice at the end of her first term, but my son is a July birthday and he ended up repeating a term of year 2 having already finished year 2 in England, but at the end of the day NZ education is about taking children where they're at and moving them forward, it's not about reaching a certain level at a certain age (yet!). Also, it can make a difference in college when kids are learning to drive etc. before others and a neighbour who was pushed up and now wants to have a gap year working is having problems finding places abroad who are willing to take her as she's only 17, not 18.

Most classes here are composite anyway so if she's a Year 5 in Oz, you should be able to put her into a 5/6 class. She will do her maths/lit testing as per her year group, but will be taught with kids across both years.

I agree with Kentish Girl's summing up of NZ education. I teach in lots of different schools here and I would agree in my opinion, it's more about inquiry and thinking skills and much less about fact regurgitation. Of course it follows the NZ curriculum, but teachers are given more flexibility than in the UK to follow the children's interests. If they're in a full primary (up to year 8), the older kids are given lots of responsibility and opportunities for leadership.

Visit the schools you're interested in and always ask what the school can offer your child - you can get some very interesting answers by turning the tables on the school!

Last edited by MOSO; Jul 13th 2014 at 9:44 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Genie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really nice

Year 6 is the correct year.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kentishgirl
My daughter is at a very small school (our choice, we have 2 huge ones within walking distance) so is in a Yr 5/6 class. That way both her 'academic' and 'social' needs are being met. She loves school (as she did also in the UK). I have worked in UK schools for 10 years and am now volunteering at my daughter's school (partly to see what goes on!!). Compared to our school in the UK and our school here, my opinion is:-

Much more relaxed in terms of timetable. Switching lessons around, spending more time on something because the children are enjoying it.
More independent thinking and working by the children. Much less hand- holding and sorting out their equipment/ books for them.
More homework, they are encouraged to do 30 minutes per night
Generally behind children of the same age in maths (not sure yet about English)
Less wrapping in cotton wool on the playground - they can climb trees and bring skateboard/ride their bikes.
More responsibility for jobs around the school given to older children, although kids in uk go to high school one year earlier.

Hope this helps, obviously my views only. Where are you looking?
Yes loving school is the most important aspect. Likewise we have been very involved with the school.

Those independent points are what we are also expecting as well as a little less cotton wool mentality.

We are looking in Cockle Bay area of Howick

I don't have a daily homework time in mind, as they currently have a set amount of work given to them for the week (i.e. due the following Monday) and its over to them when they complete during the week/weekend. They use online portal too complete so both teacher and parent can monitor.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MOSO
As Kentish Girl says, the cut off is April (but is a bit flexible), so Year 6 should be right by her age. My daughter is an April birthday and we were given a choice at the end of her first term, but my son is a July birthday and he ended up repeating a term of year 2 having already finished year 2 in England, but at the end of the day NZ education is about taking children where they're at and moving them forward, it's not about reaching a certain level at a certain age (yet!). Also, it can make a difference in college when kids are learning to drive etc. before others and a neighbour who was pushed up and now wants to have a gap year working is having problems finding places abroad who are willing to take her as she's only 17, not 18.

Most classes here are composite anyway so if she's a Year 5 in Oz, you should be able to put her into a 5/6 class. She will do her maths/lit testing as per her year group, but will be taught with kids across both years.

I agree with Kentish Girl's summing up of NZ education. I teach in lots of different schools here and I would agree in my opinion, it's more about inquiry and thinking skills and much less about fact regurgitation. Of course it follows the NZ curriculum, but teachers are given more flexibility than in the UK to follow the children's interests. If they're in a full primary (up to year 8), the older kids are given lots of responsibility and opportunities for leadership.

Visit the schools you're interested in and always ask what the school can offer your child - you can get some very interesting answers by turning the tables on the school!
The current school they are in is from Prep to Year 12, it also has a kindy attached for 3 year old and 4 year old.

The primary schools in our proposed catchment area are Year 1 (assume this is Prep) to Year 6. The intermediate is Year 7 and 8.

This is essentially our questioning because the enrolment for the Year 7 in the intermediate starts Terms 3 (next week). So Terms 3 & 4 in year 6 or Terms 3 & 4 in Year 7.

In my mind is going to be:
- Guidance with the school
- Academia standard (balanced as while 2 years ahead in English/literacy, she is 1 year behind in mathematics). Not looking to chase attainments, but seeking stimulation (again its that fundamental of enjoying school first and foremost). So we might be able to get some additional work to keep her interested?? She currently has a personal learning plan, so expect same can be done in a NZ school.
- Social level - she is tall for her age (99% percentile) and comes from a peer group of older girls, being offset by her being high functioning autistic. Still want her to have longer childhood than rush into teenage years.

Her younger sister is a lot easier as we already kept her back a year to start Year 1/Prep this year as a 6 year old rather than a 5 year old.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

I have been pleasantly surprised how the girls stay 'girls' for longer. My son is almost 14, back in the UK most 14 year old girls dressed and looked 18, especially posing for photos on Facebook. Here they still look 14 and post pictures of themselves smiling and having fun, not pouting provocatively!
Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kentishgirl
I have been pleasantly surprised how the girls stay 'girls' for longer. My son is almost 14, back in the UK most 14 year old girls dressed and looked 18, especially posing for photos on Facebook. Here they still look 14 and post pictures of themselves smiling and having fun, not pouting provocatively!
Thanks that's reassuring

I want her to spend more time on horse riding, sailing and with her growing interest in the environment I think makeup is far from her mind.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

One day school is something you may want to look into. This has to be coordinated through the school. The kids I know who attend really enjoy it. The Gifted Education Centre - One Day School

Homework will depend on the school. A lot of schools now offer 'challenge' style homework (cook a meal, bike 100km over 6 weeks, learn an instrument etc. etc.) and a set number of challenges have to be completed over the year. Maths and literacy homework are usually on top of this.

Last edited by MOSO; Jul 14th 2014 at 3:19 am.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:16 pm
Going Home after 22 years

napierlass is an unknown quantity at this point

Am following your thread with great interest Red Dragon. My daughter is just finishing year 6 in the UK. She has just received really good SATs even though she has mild concentration/memory problems from her dyspraxia. She too is taller than all her peers ( I think its the kiwi blood in her). I suspect when we move over in October she will have to join 1st year at Intermediate. I cant imagine her being very impressed at the thought of extra tests to establish her levels though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.