Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

School for a 12yr old?

School for a 12yr old?

Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice
Default School for a 12yr old?

When your 12yr old started school in NZ did you decide to start him/her in primary school in Yr7 so that they could meet new friends to start Secondary with and adjust to the new way of life or plunge him/her straight in to Secondary school? I think our daughter would be happy either way and our thoughts at the moment are in favour of Secondary straightaway. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future
Default Re: School for a 12yr old?

Hi there, We are faced with the same dilemma. We plan to go around the beginning of September so that the children, aged 14 and 11 don't have to start another school year here, especially the 11 yr old as he will be going up to Secondary. When we get to NZ I am hoping to enroll them in the same year that they have just finished for a couple of reasons 1. to gain some friends before starting the next year and 2. because the NZ school year runs from February to December they can't really stay off of school that long....it would drive me mad......lol
When are you planning to go?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:03 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

It maybe you need to talk to the heads of the respective target school(s) to decide.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87 View Post
When your 12yr old started school in NZ did you decide to start him/her in primary school in Yr7 so that they could meet new friends to start Secondary with and adjust to the new way of life or plunge him/her straight in to Secondary school? I think our daughter would be happy either way and our thoughts at the moment are in favour of Secondary straightaway. Thanks.
Check the school websites for where you are going, some areas still have Primary then Middle school before secondary, this would mean your 12 year old could do time at a middle school before the secondary.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

In this area we have intermediate schools for years 7 & 8, then they go to high school for year 9. It depends on which part of NZ you're likely to be settling in I guess, certainly I know that the rural schools out this way don't have the intermediate system, but in Rotorua itself we have 4 intermediate schools which feed into the 5 main high schools.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

We too have intermediate schools for years 7 and 8.

That was our dilema with our youngest daughter, intermediate or college. We went for the intermediate as it would give DD time to settle in to a new routine and way of doing things, as well become more settled being away from family etc. I cannot say she actually learned an awful lot, as most UK children are a little more advanced than here. But for her it was the best thing. She started college this year as a newbie with everyone else and she is happy with this.

My eldest daughter was put into year 9 and she found it more difficult to break into friendship groups than the younger one. It took her probably a year to get a good set of friends.

It is difficult to know what to do for the best.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:47 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Where we are in NZ secondary school doesn't start until year 9 (around age 13/14). When we moved here 3 years ago our daughter was 12 (turning 13 in 3 months) and had already done her first year at UK high school but had to do the last year of intermediate (year 8) here. They would not accept her at 12 into the secondary school. It might be different in the area you move to so best to check with the schools you're thinking of.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

In most of NZ, kids start high school at Year 9, and they are either already 13 or turning 13 in the first term, but this varies with schools. Some private schools or rural schools start at Year 7, but it's still just intermediate in the high school grounds, instead of the primary school grounds.

I don't think there is a disadvantage in starting straight into high school, as lots of kids are arriving from all different primary schools, who don't know each other. They often split friends up, so that they have to make new friends, so I think it's the ideal time to start. I'd be inclined to put them with their age group, though, even if that means repeating the year they've done.