British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Scary ..... Quitting UK job without one in NZ yet ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/scary-quitting-uk-job-without-one-nz-yet-717727/)

annabel1 May 20th 2011 6:15 am

Scary ..... Quitting UK job without one in NZ yet !

Hi guys,
Well next week I need to hand in my notice at work so I can leave to fly out to NZ at the end of august, as I have to provide 3 months.
Things feel very very real now, after planning for 5 years and a couple of false starts it finally happening !
I hope to get a job sorted in NZ before my arrival but feel I have to commit now or I may never make the move ! So many employers seem to not want to wait so long for people to arrive to take up jobs so let's hope that a mere 10 weeks or so is not too far away for them.
Looking on the bright side ........... If I don't have a job straight away I can spend more time chilling and organising the house !
See you soon Auckland x

sirplug May 20th 2011 6:56 am

Re: Scary ..... Quitting UK job without one in NZ yet !

Originally Posted by annabel1 (Post 9376579)
Hi guys,
Well next week I need to hand in my notice at work so I can leave to fly out to NZ at the end of august, as I have to provide 3 months.
Things feel very very real now, after planning for 5 years and a couple of false starts it finally happening !
I hope to get a job sorted in NZ before my arrival but feel I have to commit now or I may never make the move ! So many employers seem to not want to wait so long for people to arrive to take up jobs so let's hope that a mere 10 weeks or so is not too far away for them.
Looking on the bright side ........... If I don't have a job straight away I can spend more time chilling and organising the house !
See you soon Auckland x

It's what I did and I wasn't alone. Good luck, it'll soon be time to board the plane and then you'll be starting your new life. :thumbsup:

ragdolls2 May 20th 2011 7:47 am

my OH also had to work 3mths notice an didn't have a job to come to however, we were only here a week and he got a job offer. It is a bit scary but sometimes you just have to go with it. Best thing we ever did:thumbup:

nelsonpom May 20th 2011 9:59 am

Tis scary but many have done it. We came over without a job and hadn't even got visa sorted, stupid really as we shipped cats and all our stuff on visitors visa :ohmy: All worked out in the end perfectly but .....

josephine123 May 20th 2011 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by annabel1 (Post 9376579)
Hi guys,
See you soon Auckland x

i hope to come over in two years without a job i think its so exciting doing it that way as one adventure, good luck and keep in touch please as i plan to come to auckland also. what do you do for a living?

Boo Boos May 21st 2011 1:38 am

We moved over here in January 2007, looking back I dont know how we did it. I'd never even been here before. We put our house on the market and had sold and moved to Nz within 5wks. We arrived in Auckland with no jobs, no home and four children all on work/student permits. We travelled around the North Island for three wks deciding on the best place for us to live. We settled on Auckland :thumbsup: We found a rental through Trade me and my husband got a job with the Nz fire brigade. Six months later we bought our house in Whangaparaoa which is a 30mins drive north of Auckland. It was scary and if we'd stopped to think about it we might of even ended up like 90% of the population never following our dreams :eek: It has been hard and for the first 18mths I had ups and downs. I separated from my husband last year but not once did it make me want to move back to the Uk. 4 1/2yrs later I can honestly say it was the best thing we ever did. I live in a beautiful country and have made some amazing friends, our lives are so much better and I feel ive saved my children from all the rubbish of the Uk. I have been accepted into university where I will be doing a nursing degree. I feel my life is going from strength to strength:thumbsup: So dont be scared, embrace it as you are doing something that millions of people can only dream of doing. Isn't better to of tried and failed then to of never tried at all;) But we didnt fail:D We have reap the rewards of New Zealand and I truly hope one day soon you will too:D

josephine123 May 21st 2011 6:40 am

BOOS BOOS

here, here what a wonderful way to put it. i certainly hope i have the same experience as you?

:thumbsup:

annabel1 May 21st 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by josephine123 (Post 9377888)
i hope to come over in two years without a job i think its so exciting doing it that way as one adventure, good luck and keep in touch please as i plan to come to auckland also. what do you do for a living?

Hi Josephine,
I am an occupational therapist, :blink:
Will defo' keep in touch, we have no idea yet to where abouts we will be in Auckland, I think I will just have to wait and see where the work comes up !
I will keep you posted on things and if I can be of any help please let me know. The forum hre has been so so helpful and has taken the stress out of so many things along the way.
Best of luck to you,
Annabel

annabel1 May 21st 2011 8:21 am

WOW,

Reading your replies I keep telling myself to get a grip and just get on with things ! ! ! ! ! !
I know it's just stepping over the line and 'doing it' , which means you have to experience some uncertaity !
I am appriciating the situation that I am in now, I have a permenant visa, a little bit of dosh in the bank and the experience of 3 trips out to Auckland ........... why on earth am I like a badly made jelly ! ! ! ! ! !

I do have an extra stressor which is leaving my daughter and beautiful little grandaughter behind in the UK, which is jst so so difficult but at the same time I am torn between them and NZ ! (and feel so guilty at times). I know many others have done the same and will continue to do in the future but it does make things more challenging ! I really do hope they will join us in NZ at some point but who knows, ?!?!?! I know we have to do what is right for us at this point and to live our own lives too !
Now I am thinking that by this time next year we (husband and son and me!) will have spent nearly 10 months in NZ, will all be working/studying, we will have settled, doughter and grandaughter will have been out for a visit to NZ, and I will be living the dream ! ! ................. oh and I will no longer be in the club of what if's ! ! !

Annabel x

josephine123 May 21st 2011 8:36 am

annabel ,

what kind of visa have you got?

i am in the same position, i will have to leave my daughter and twin grandaughters behind for a little while and like you i am hoping they follow me in a few years time. in addition, i have an 18 yr old who is not sure to come or not and again if i have to leave her behind i will sooooooooooo torn but as you say this is our time now and i think we need to be a little selfish here and do what is right for us and i know that sounds mean but i don't want to get old and think what if! if the 18 yr old decides not to come i need to get her to independent living before i move which should be about 18 months, she is due to move out in two weeks and live with her friend and that i believe is the test as if she likes it and can manage i don't think she'll come but if not she will be at our side. you annabel as a mother and grandmother you know moving to NZ would be so much better for them my only regret is not doing it sooner and they would have come.

but onwards and upwards as they say, i need to get out of this rat race, cutbacks etc.

josephine123 May 21st 2011 8:40 am

annabel

we have a few things in common girl. you live in lincolnshire and i in nottingham. your a OT and me a C/P social worker and we both have to leave kids and grandkids behind and we both intend to settle in auckland we need to counsel each other what do u reckon?

i have some counselling skills but i am sure we can make it up as we go alone :rofl:

annabel1 May 21st 2011 9:16 am

Originally Posted by josephine123 (Post 9378721)
annabel

we have a few things in common girl. you live in lincolnshire and i in nottingham. your a OT and me a C/P social worker and we both have to leave kids and grandkids behind and we both intend to settle in auckland we need to counsel each other what do u reckon?

i have some counselling skills but i am sure we can make it up as we go alone :rofl:

Isn't it just such a small world ! It does feel better to know your not the only one doing this and making the same decisions :)
Oh excellent, that sounds really good, I think I may need quite a bit of counselling along the way :blink: I have a little bit of experience with it too so I think we could muster up some helpful sessions for each other !

Annabel x

annabel1 May 21st 2011 9:30 am

Originally Posted by josephine123 (Post 9378718)
annabel ,

what kind of visa have you got?

i am in the same position, i will have to leave my daughter and twin grandaughters behind for a little while and like you i am hoping they follow me in a few years time. in addition, i have an 18 yr old who is not sure to come or not and again if i have to leave her behind i will sooooooooooo torn but as you say this is our time now and i think we need to be a little selfish here and do what is right for us and i know that sounds mean but i don't want to get old and think what if! if the 18 yr old decides not to come i need to get her to independent living before i move which should be about 18 months, she is due to move out in two weeks and live with her friend and that i believe is the test as if she likes it and can manage i don't think she'll come but if not she will be at our side. you annabel as a mother and grandmother you know moving to NZ would be so much better for them my only regret is not doing it sooner and they would have come.

but onwards and upwards as they say, i need to get out of this rat race, cutbacks etc.

Oh my ! ! ! ! this is so alike to our situation !
I too only wish we had jumped ship sooner rather than planning for so long ! (5 yrs) but then again if I hadn't have lost the crystal ball ..............
My son too is 18 but at the moment still planning to move with us, although we have had a few shakey moments but I think now he realises where the grass is greener ! ...... just hope he doesn't change his mind over the next 12 weeks !

We have invested in some web cam's and have been practicing with the little one as she is only 2, to get her familiar with it. I think with this it will help to not feel so separated

I hope your plans come together without too much stress for you :)
If only the kids were little ! ! ! how easy it would be but then again as you said, this is now OUR time and you have to live life to the full before it passes you by ! Although a grandma I have an awful lot of beans ! ! but then again I am still a spring chicken ...... ha ha ha

josephine123 May 21st 2011 10:51 am

ah bless u me too !!!!

maybe we could hook the two 18 yrs on the internet to allow them to counsel and persuade each other to come with us, just a thought :p

also my grandtwins are now nearly 4 so hopefully by the time i get there in about 12 - 18 months they should be able to master the skype. it is heart wrenching but be strong girl.

your daughter who is not going with you has she got support here in the UK when you leave? daft question as i know you will have probably made sure of that :rofl: but if she needs anything give her my email address and again i can hook her up with my eldest who is 26 yrs or me if she struggles with anything.

i am not too bad with notice periods as i have been self employed (Ltd) for about four years now. my hubbie (keith) is slightly worried about work as he has worked with the same man for over 15 yrs. he is a self employed bricklayer and is a little apprenhensive about leaving the other guy and working with strangers.

i also intend to bring my 3 king charles cav's out with me as i aint leaving those babies behind lol. so it is going to let's ay squeeze the purse strings a little lol but i am sure it will be worth as you say we have to keep looking forward. i keep telling myself that if my children don't come out with us then after five years and maybe/hopefully citizenship i could possible spend four months here in the UK and then 8 months at what i will then call home (NZ)

john and julie May 22nd 2011 10:21 am

Quitting UK job - moving without one into NZ

Well, we had the same dilema. I found i could not rely on employment agencies alone, but workedwith them with e-mail exchanges every two days. i posted a copy of my resignation to an agent and then once i could show employers i was committed the offers started off. Withing a month both my partner and myself have obtained postions as senior consultants in highways and transport and myself in infrastructure and development. Keep plugging away and dont stop until you cracxk the nut. We are heading to look at titirangi or maybe up towards browns bay....space on the dollar is important as I need to develop the bext NZ veggie patch to keep costs down !! :thumbup: