British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Scarey news. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/scarey-news-778038/)

Mrs2spoons Nov 19th 2012 1:35 am

Scarey news.

Hi,
Today I was given the news that I have breast cancer.
I'm feeling very frightened and also isolated, missing my family especially my mum. My husband is very supportive but I worry how it will affect him.
Has anyone else here experienced a serious illness and how has it affected you being in New Zealand?
Hope to hear from someone soon...

waikatoguy Nov 19th 2012 4:58 am

Re: Scarey news.

I can't really offer anything in the way of support because a) I'm a man and b) I'm not an expat. Except all I can say is that I know 2 people who got breat cancer at the same time 20 years ago, one aggressively (it was in the lymph nodes), and both are still around today. Even then, treatments have improved markedly since then, from what I understand.
All the best for what lays ahead for you in the way of treatment etc. I can understand how you feel isolated being so far away from family.

love30stm Nov 19th 2012 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Mrs2spoons (Post 10389591)
Hi,
I'm feeling very frightened and also isolated, missing my family especially my mum. My husband is very supportive but I worry how it will affect him.
Has anyone else here experienced a serious illness and how has it affected you being in New Zealand?

Oh so sorry to hear of your news ((hug)) it must be very scary for you.

sparkie down under Nov 19th 2012 5:13 am

let me add my best wishes for your treatment. I'm sure we all wish you well and fingers crossed for your future

BEVS Nov 19th 2012 5:16 am

Big mega stinky poo. :( I am so very sorry to read this and am not at all surprised you want your Mum , family & all those who you love and who love you much closer to you right now. I would too.

Any chance of any of them coming out at all at some point or you making a quick return trip back to spend some time before treatment kicks in ?

Hopefully your husband has some friends to help support and , of course, maybe his own family to chat with. If not, he is welcome to come onto here .

Have a big cyber {{ hug}} from me. I'm not your Mum. Rather hope I'm not old enough to be honest but any hug is a good hug at horrid times like these.

cappuccino Nov 19th 2012 6:47 am

{hugs} from me too. Good luck with the treatment. Look after yourself.

Bo-Jangles Nov 19th 2012 7:02 am

That's awful news Mrs2Spoons, I hope you can find strength and get all the treatment and support you need. :fingerscrossed:

MrsFychan Nov 19th 2012 7:12 am

how awful for you both. May your treatment be quick and affective and you find a good support system to aid you through this

faye_h Nov 19th 2012 7:14 am

Hi Mrs2spoons, I'm so sorry to hear your news.

I work for the NZ Breast Cancer Foundation; if you need any information or have any questions we have some great ladies who are on the end of the phone and can talk you through anything you need to know. You can call them on 09 304 0766.

I wish you all the best with your treatment and hope you and your husband get all the support you need at this difficult time.

chippy64 Nov 19th 2012 7:57 am

Thinking of you and wishing you the strength to tackle this :fingerscrossed:

sirplug Nov 19th 2012 8:02 am

having been affected by Cancer, previously, I wish you all the best.

Padycosforbos Nov 19th 2012 9:37 am

So sorry to hear this - you must be terrified, news like this is bad enough when surrounded by family and friends, but to be so far away from home... I am pleased you have a super supportive hubby:thumbsup: Fingers crossed, and our thoughts and prayers are with you. xx

TommyLuck Nov 19th 2012 10:10 am

Very sad news.

I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Mrs2spoons Nov 19th 2012 3:34 pm

Hi all,
Thank you all for the kind messages.
Im going to do everything I can to beat it!
I have found healthcare over here really good so far.
Just got wait to see what happens next...
Lorrie x

skends Nov 19th 2012 7:08 pm

Sorry to hear your news, and good luck with your treatment. A positive attitude and outlook like you seem to have will go far. Although i cant comment on NZ healthcare, as im not there yet, I work with several Consultant surgeons and anaesthetists who have commented on the excellent and first class healthcare system in NZ.
I wish you all the best.

love30stm Nov 19th 2012 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs2spoons (Post 10390602)
Hi all,
Thank you all for the kind messages.
Im going to do everything I can to beat it!
I have found healthcare over here really good so far.
Just got wait to see what happens next...
Lorrie x

Wish you all the best x

Catchafire Nov 19th 2012 7:46 pm

Hi Lorrie

My mum was diagnosed with BC over ten years ago, it was a struggle in the beginning, she needed a major operation, but now everything looks to be under control, she occasionally has to go through chemo as her lymph nodes sometime shows some growth.

But other than than, she is fighting fit and tremendously upbeat (annoyingly so sometimes).

Chin up!

Stephen

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 19th 2012 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs2spoons (Post 10389591)
Hi,

So very sorry to hear this. Very frightening news indeed but you can beat this. Couple of people I know here in Whangaparaoa are currently having treatment for breast cancer. Both are doing extremely well & have had excellent care. I know of quite a few other people who have had breast cancer, both here & in the UK, including my s-i-l who are all survivors.

Sometimes there's no-one quite like Mum is there. I hope she's able to come over but if not have you got some good friends to support you locally?

Wishing you & your husband all the very best xxx