Saying goodbye

Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice
Default Saying goodbye

Well six weeks until we come and after our fantastic wedding on Saturday, I'm feeling very emotional about leaving.

Seeing everyone we love in one place and so happy for us just made me realise how lucky we are with the people in our life and what we're leaving behind.

There were a couple of friends who live abroad and we know we won't see them for a while...that was bad enough.

It won't stop us coming because we are looking forward to our new life, but I'm dreading the goodbyes.

Any tips for getting through it.....
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:46 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saying goodbye

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
Well six weeks until we come and after our fantastic wedding on Saturday, I'm feeling very emotional about leaving.

Seeing everyone we love in one place and so happy for us just made me realise how lucky we are with the people in our life and what we're leaving behind.

There were a couple of friends who live abroad and we know we won't see them for a while...that was bad enough.

It won't stop us coming because we are looking forward to our new life, but I'm dreading the goodbyes.

It is a very, very difficult time! At times I felt as if I was at my own funeral , lots of tears and emotional ups & downs, even though I knew it was going to be difficult it didn't make it any easier ....the only tips I have are : be there for each other, support each other and try to end each 'goodbye' with a smile. Your friends and family will all carry on living their lives....you go and enjoy your new lives together in NZ
Congratulations and good luck for your journey together
B x
PS..Don't let anyone come to the airport to 'see you off'!

Last edited by MnB; Feb 21st 2011 at 6:52 pm. Reason: PS added
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:11 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Not wanting to belittle the situation, but don't make it so dramatic. You are only moving, you will see them again, you do have telephones, you can use skype.

Distance is also a great 'life sift' of who is a real friend and who was just close to you because of geography.

Also think of all the amazing friendships that you are yet to make.....
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

yeah I keep saying that to people "I'm not dying, you can speak to me any time you like give or take a wee time difference."

And no one is coming to the airport, except my pal who's on the same flight to Dubai en route to Australia to see her sister (coincidence)

The wedding just heightened it all (hence the wee bit of drama) and was a milestone before the big move milestone.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P18PPS

Also think of all the amazing friendships that you are yet to make.....
Very good point!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:16 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I keep saying that to people "I'm not dying, you can speak to me any time you like give or take a wee time difference."

And no one is coming to the airport, except my pal who's on the same flight to Dubai en route to Australia to see her sister (coincidence)

The wedding just heightened it all (hence the wee bit of drama) and was a milestone before the big move milestone.
Both milestones worthy of celebrations ....you're building the memories that will last you a lifetime!!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy

Not long now indeed, the only advice I could offer is to say the goodbyes a day or two in advance, thats what we did and made sure that nobody turned up at Glasgow airport so we just sort of sneaked off out so to speak, we stayed in the hotel just opposite the terminal but said all our goodbyes atleast the day before so it was not a huge emotional thing at the airport
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:14 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I was fine saying goodbye, the thing that got me was taxiing down Heathrow runway with the family all holding hands with the realisation "we've done it, we're doing it" !!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

ray2nz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Mrs Pointer (Debbi**** here). Glad you had a good wedding. We've both resigned from our jobs and fly to NZ on Saturday 26 Feb, arrive Auckland 28 February. Container arrives Christchurch 11 March. Er, what do we do now ?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:28 pm

I'm sure there are contingency plans for this eventuality - talk to the shipping company, you may find (? not logistics expert) that the container goes to Auckland first or is even redirected there due to the earthquake. If I were you I'd be making alternative plans though and head for one of the other main centres and postpone Christchurch for the moment.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I'm sure there are contingency plans for this eventuality - talk to the shipping company, you may find (? not logistics expert) that the container goes to Auckland first or is even redirected there due to the earthquake. If I were you I'd be making alternative plans though and head for one of the other main centres and postpone Christchurch for the moment.
Agree especially if you didn't have jobs lined up there. The container can be re-delivered as required anyway. Emigrating is hard enough without knowingly parachuting yourself into an earthquake disaster zone.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ray2nz
Hello Mrs Pointer (Debbi**** here). Glad you had a good wedding. We've both resigned from our jobs and fly to NZ on Saturday 26 Feb, arrive Auckland 28 February. Container arrives Christchurch 11 March. Er, what do we do now ?
I think I'd start somewhere else if it was me and it was possible. We're going to Wellington now that Pointer's employment is sorted out, although initially it was Auckland. We were told we didn't need to finalise our final container destination for a while yet.