Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Saying Bye Bye to the UK / Europe

Saying Bye Bye to the UK / Europe

Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of
Default Saying Bye Bye to the UK / Europe

Hi everyone

We're thinking about the best way to use our last 12 months in the UK before shiping over to Auckland.

What did you all do before you left? Touring the West Coast of Scotland, Alton Towers, Legoland, trips to see the tulips in Amsterdam.......

Anything you wish you'd done?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saying Bye Bye to the UK / Europe

Originally Posted by hosebergine
Hi everyone

We're thinking about the best way to use our last 12 months in the UK before shiping over to Auckland.

What did you all do before you left? Touring the West Coast of Scotland, Alton Towers, Legoland, trips to see the tulips in Amsterdam.......

The only advice I can give is if you do do something do it early as we found the last three months were taken up with sorting everything out, house sale, solicitors, exporters, packers, airlines, recruitment companies, immigration, accomodation, car rental, etc, etc, etc... so do leave it... but how's the family anyway?

Regards

Simon
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

I wish I had spent a bit more time with my family, and
packed more clothes!!!!
I have a wardrobe full of clothes still back in the UK and I just wish I had sent more over! I was trying to be sensible! Clearly not.

I would enjoy what is familiar to you while you can. It is difficult as you will be pressed for time suddenly, and also family and friends will be putting pressure on you to see you, so enjoy what you can while you can!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

Thanks both - Simon, I've PM'd you with an update from Yorkshire.

We thought we'd try and get a family holiday organised for the Spring for some quality time together, and we need to discuss Christmas with everyone too. Just need to pluck up enough courage to admit we're off to NZ first!!!!!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone

HI
My 12 months end in September and i must say we have had a wonderfull time ( NOT )trying to sell our house over the past year and as a result we are having to come over soon for holiday to activate visa then return to uk to continue our quest.
THAT IS WHAT WE DID /DOING.
BEAT THAT lol
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ooops did I touch a raw nerve......

You see, in my little world of lists and planners, I see us being in total control and being highly organised. Mind you, we are a bit lonely in this land of clouds and cuckoos!!!!

We'll probably spend six months cleaning our DIY tools and I'll never get to Legoland Sorry I mean the kids will never get to Legoland
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

You see, in my little world of lists and planners, I see us being in total control and being highly organised. Mind you, we are a bit lonely in this land of clouds and cuckoos!!!!

We'll probably spend six months cleaning our DIY tools and I'll never get to Legoland Sorry I mean the kids will never get to Legoland
No not at all we are just very p....off having to wast good money on holiday when that money would cover container and one way flights, Sick of job here, Sick of high prices blah,blah,blah just want to get to N.Z like yesterday but for good.
But look on the bright side its summer here ( raining hard but its summer ).
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

ScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant future

We discussed a trip to Legoland as something we should really find time to do...we're going in 10 weeks time and still haven't done it!..we're now entering that period of 'oh god there's not enough time to do everything'...

We have managed a trip to Disneyland Paris though, went with Nana (her treat).

What would be worth considering is making sure that anything you decide to do you share the experience with those family and friends you care about, as you then have the opportunity to spend time with them you may not have done otherwise and still enjoy some fun days, weekends away.

It's good to plan them into the next 12 months too, coz you'll actually need some time away from all the NZ prep you'll find yourself knee deep in. So you may find them a welcome distraction...
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:17 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

When catching up with friends (or saying goodby) who live away it's a good idea to meet half-way at an area of interest that is well loved or on the 'to visit' list for the day, you kill 2 birds with one stone.

BUT you will not have enough time to say goodby, you never do.

Pauline
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

We had a weekend at Center Parcs with Grandparents recently, and a trip to Twycross Zoo last week. Plan to go to CadburyWorld (can't believe I have never been and it isn't far away AND I am a chocoholic!!)

Like the other poster said, we are trying to involve family and friends in our outings to kill 2 birds with one stone and especially so that Grandparents have lots of lovely times and memories with our daughters before we go.

Things on my list I probably won't have time or budget for are Disney Land Paris, trip to the Lake District, Weekend in London (only ever went once 30 years go when I was in the Brownies!!)

BUT - I feel I am going somewhere far more exciting and can live with the things I don't have time to see. I'm sure beaches, Mud pools, mountains and a whole new culture will keep me entertained for a few years!!!

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 14 weeks to go

Lou
xxxxxx
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

IMO London over priced and over rated and the girls wont remember it anyway!!!

Save your dosh for over here!!!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Guess weher we're going on Wednesday for 3 days!!! Then to a beautiful barn conversion cottage on a farm next to Sherwood Forest. Going hunting for Robin Hood ( wonder if he looks like the one off the telly ) My boys are getting very excited!!

Phyllis
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:09 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed at how we brits think outings revolve around theme parks, kids here do so many things for free, and rememeber there are none in NZ, well there is a small one near Auckland.

I wish we had seen more of Europe, as we lived next to English channel, we should have jumped across more often, hopefully we will see Rome on our trip back to UK after being here nearly 4 years.

And they way the economy is going in NZ i would save all your hard earned cash to tranfer into $$ to buy things over here. A petrol and food market would be good to buy at present.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We meant to head over to Dublin but ran out of time . Mrs V wanted to go to Reims but we didn't do that either. I do regret that, so make a list of where you want to go & DO IT!!!