British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Sausages/Meat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/sausages-meat-332678/)

turkeytickler Oct 20th 2005 10:50 pm

Sausages/Meat

OK this may sound trivial but since ive been in Christchurch I have been unable to find a source of sausages that taste like anything other than dog food.

Those nasty precooked things from the supermarket should be declared unfit for human consumption..... and whats with those things with the "cheese" in them??

Does anyone know where you can get decent sausages in this place? Ive tried the "European" ones from the shop in Merivale and the ones that begin with V - still pretty lame - the "chorizos" didnt have a trace of paprika in them - how can they call them chorizos?.... there must be a butchers around here that knows how to make them surely?

Just so you dont think im totally negative - i think the beef in this country is wonderful - much nicer than the stuff back home....

jueinnz Oct 21st 2005 5:49 am

Re: Sausages/Meat

stop looking you are wasting your time....there are sausages in this country that taste like English ones...personally I think its got a lot to do with the skin. I can't eat them although I have to admit I think the pre-cooked ones taste the best.
I think the best you can hope for is to find a spicy one at the local butchers that you like, then stick with it, do what I do ...go in and ask for "two sausages please" well you don't want to be stuck with sausages you don't like!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you about the beef it is jumm and my Kiwi father in law does the best ever Lamb on the BBQ, which I would never have even eaten at home.

SarahB Oct 21st 2005 9:13 am

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
OK this may sound trivial but since ive been in Christchurch I have been unable to find a source of sausages that taste like anything other than dog food.

Those nasty precooked things from the supermarket should be declared unfit for human consumption..... and whats with those things with the "cheese" in them??

Does anyone know where you can get decent sausages in this place? Ive tried the "European" ones from the shop in Merivale and the ones that begin with V - still pretty lame - the "chorizos" didnt have a trace of paprika in them - how can they call them chorizos?.... there must be a butchers around here that knows how to make them surely?

Just so you dont think im totally negative - i think the beef in this country is wonderful - much nicer than the stuff back home....

We are lucky in that we have a great butcher here in Beachlands....he does REAL pork sausages...not just pork flavoured ones. I'm from Lincolnshire and no nothing compares to a true lincolnshire sausage but these are very good I have to say. His steak is to die for and his minced beef is so lean..... I'm a chef by trade so love having good ingredients like this....I just go in and tell him what I need.... they are so helpful in there too....my little boy always likes to go in there too as they always give him one of those little sausages to eat.....long way to come from chch though.... :)

shepslady Oct 29th 2005 3:45 am

Please excuse my ignorance but what is it with this obsession you all seem to have about sausages:confused:

Cant offer any suggestions as to where you can find a "decent" sausage but will say the ones sold by supermarkets arent great, you need to find a small butcher somewhere who makes his own & give them a try. Some of these small butchers do make genuine pork sausages & not just pork flavoured sausages but you will have to look around.

Anyway I wish you luck in finding something that is at least half edible & to your liking. I guess you missing your sausages is like me hanging out for a decent steak pie huh:D

Cheers
Cindy

JaneAS Oct 29th 2005 8:40 pm

I guess we do have a mild obsession with the good 'ol bangers....

1. They are the most brill food ever on a BBQ - how many people have had an impromptu BBQ on a beach with just a pile of sausages and some bread rolls? 2. They remind me of childhood holidays
3. So many flavours and textures - everything from 90% pork organic chipolatas, to lamb & mint, chunky cumberland....
4. What is there not to like???

JaneAS
:)

shepslady Oct 29th 2005 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by JaneAS
I guess we do have a mild obsession with the good 'ol bangers....

1. They are the most brill food ever on a BBQ - how many people have had an impromptu BBQ on a beach with just a pile of sausages and some bread rolls? 2. They remind me of childhood holidays
3. So many flavours and textures - everything from 90% pork organic chipolatas, to lamb & mint, chunky cumberland....
4. What is there not to like???

JaneAS
:)

Agree totally with the sausages on the barbie but Im talking kiwi sausages here & as much as I miss them, they really are something I can live without. Have to admit when I do go home sausages are always the second thing on my list after a good meal of roast lamb:D