Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We are moving to NZ - Please help advise us (NEWBIE stage)

We are moving to NZ - Please help advise us (NEWBIE stage)

Old May 24th 2022, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

springbeeagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We are moving to NZ - Please help advise us (NEWBIE stage)

*I know that this thread may sound naive but we won't know until we go so we'd like to explore different areas and factor in considerations we may not have thought of. Value all and any advice*

We have decided to move to NZ from Canada.
We want to move for the following reasons:
1. Change of scenery
2. Hiking/nature trips without encountering bears
3. Similar-ish culture
4. Outdoors
5. Hopefully an overall safe and peaceful country where we can bring up the kids
6. Finding a serene, warmish home with plenty of space to grow vegetables and fruit and become more self-sustainable

Our wants/desires:
1. A safe, friendly community where we can bring up our kids and also enjoy nature's offerings (skiing, kayaking, hiking)
2. A serene environment where we have a good balance of neighbors/community but also peace and tranquillity
3. A good place for kids
4. Not at a high tsunami/earthquake risk if possible

We are honing in on the following areas:
1. New Plymouth
2. Nelson/Tasman - but if so, which areas? I read an old thread where BEVS said Nelson's sun is not a friendly type of environment, but it seems that it is a family friendly area. Are there areas near here which may be better?
3. Canterbury area??? (Although as it's very flat, assume tsunami risk is high)

I'm hoping that some of the illustrious members here can provide some advice on what specific areas might be desirable, and other areas that might not be obvious to outsiders but are worth a look as well.

I know cost of living is high. Are there any areas that are more/less racist/problematic? Are there hidden gems?
Thanks very much. Value all advice.

Last edited by springbeeagain; May 24th 2022 at 7:35 am.
Old May 24th 2022, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are moving to NZ - Please help advise us (NEWBIE stage)

Can't comment myself these days, my cousin does have friends who live in Atawhai and they seem to like it. You have the Hira Forest and some nice walks around Maitai Valley.
Looking at it, I suppose the only downside is the lack of homes in the area and anything that's available is more suburban with smaller plots, so wouldn't be great for becoming self-sustainable. Of course it depends on which side you are and while some want more homes, you could argue that it would also ruin the area. No idea what's happening though https://maitahibayview.co.nz/
Old May 24th 2022, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a job to go to ?.... would have thought where you lived depends a lot on where your work is...
Old May 24th 2022, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

I'm a remote worker and I have a visa to work there.
Old May 24th 2022, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If you're worrying about tsunamis in Canterbury I'd suggest Canada is the best place for you
Old May 25th 2022, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Tate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi springbeeagain

Your reasons to move to NZ, 1 to 6, would easily be fulfilled.

Your wants/desires ditto with exception of 4. Earthquakes are a fact of life in NZ although some regions are more susceptible than others.

Of the areas you are honing in on Nelson/Tasman and Canterbury would probably appeal to more NZers than New Plymouth.

Staying with Nelson/Tasman, do not discount the adjacent region of Marlborough.
Being on the east coast the weather is generally better and less wet. Blenheim/Marlborough often records the highest sunshine hours for NZ. Summer temperatures in the low 30 centigrade are common and although susceptible to winter frosts, these are normally followed by clear, warm sunny days.
Marlborough like Tasman offers plenty of attractions making both great areas to live. What tips the scales for me is the benefit Marlborough enjoys having the beautiful Marlborough Sounds. More so if you enjoy boating in a safe beautiful unspoiled environment!

I would list the things that Canada does not provide for you then objectively see how New Zealand differs.

Good luck!
Tate
Old May 26th 2022, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Tate and Moses

Very helpful all round
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 6:43 am
Just Joined

orenp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by springbeeagain
Thank you Tate and Moses

Very helpful all round
We move to Nelson from California and love it here. Very safe and family friend, but a bit on the small-side; might have limited job opportunities compared to the larger cities.

Great location for exploring the outdoors. Marlborough Sounds to the east, Able Tasman / Golden Bay to the north/west, Nelson Lakes to the south.

Happy to answer any questions.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Ironbark is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd definitely recommend the Nelson Tasman region. Great weather, 3 national parks on the doorstep (Abel Tasman, Nelson Lakes and Kahurangi, as well as the Richmond Ranges) and a reasonably low earthquake risk compared to some areas. Lots of people here from all over the world, so I've found a very relaxed and welcoming vibe in general. Good chance of finding a lifestyle property if you head up the Motueka Valley, for example. Lots going on in the community, and easy access to the airport in Nelson if you want to head further afield.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Seems it's overdue...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/ne...n-nelsontasman
Old Jul 9th 2022, 1:44 am
Just Joined

PollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond reputePollyG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi @sprinbeeagain,
I've lived in Christchurch for 20 years - through all the quakes. Other than over in Lyttleton the tsunami risk isn't high. Also, because we've been through the ringer, all our building stock is the strong stuff that will stand up to the quakes and new buildings are built to the updated codes.

Christchurch is a great place to move to with easy access to South Island walks and skiing and reasonably easy drives to places like Queenstown. We're getting more and more local amenities being built - with plenty still to develop. As we're a city there are a range of schools for your kids too. I loved Wellington too.

My only warnings are regarding the housing stock: NZ houses cost far more than they should. Also, older homes are poorly insulated or not insulated at all, and if you're used to central heating, forget it! I've installed it in my home after insulating it and adding double glazing.

Moving here has been the best decision, I've never regretted it. I hope you make the move.

Last edited by PollyG; Jul 9th 2022 at 1:47 am.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 17 years in a relatively dull town in provincial NZ. I am quite happy with my life here, but my social life is not what it was in the U.K. as I have never really jelled with kiwis to be absolutely honest.

Whilst I have carved out a good life here (and I am not rich, far from it), it appears many expats (and kiwis) are not happy here. I hope my three children eventually ship out as I feel NZ has become a back water fo anyone starting out in life.

Have a read of this.....https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...ding-to-survey

Last edited by Genesis; Jul 14th 2022 at 8:05 am.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I have been here 17 years in a relatively dull town in provincial NZ. I am quite happy with my life here, but my social life is not what it was in the U.K. as I have never really jelled with kiwis to be absolutely honest.

Whilst I have carved out a good life here (and I am not rich, far from it), it appears many expats (and kiwis) are not happy here. I hope my three children eventually ship out as I feel NZ has become a back water fo anyone starting out in life.

Have a read of this.....https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...ding-to-survey
These rankings change on a daily basis and it's the same everywhere. Social media plays a big part too and people complain across the globe now and if I would go by the comments I read on FB, nobody is happy where they are. Apart from those who get more for their money (Retired and wealthy), a lot of people quickly realise that life abroad is no different and you still have the same challenges. In the case of this ranking, I doubt anybody here who had to start from scratch would say Mexico is the best place to live and work. Of course marketing is another factor and the British who are told that their country is crap see images of NZ and think it's a tropical island where you work to live rather than live to work. Here in the Rep of Ireland it's the same and those who feel they live in a dull town think the UK is cheap as chips and everyone is wealthy. The Americans want to move to the Emerald Isle and the Germans want to move to Majorca.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 14th 2022 at 9:27 am.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
These rankings change on a daily basis and it's the same everywhere. Social media plays a big part too and people complain across the globe now and if I would go by the comments I read on FB, nobody is happy where they are. Apart from those who get more for their money (Retired and wealthy), a lot of people quickly realise that life abroad is no different and you still have the same challenges. In the case of this ranking, I doubt anybody here who had to start from scratch would say Mexico is the best place to live and work. Of course marketing is another factor and the British who are told that their country is crap see images of NZ and think it's a tropical island where you work to live rather than live to work. Here in the Rep of Ireland it's the same and those who feel they live in a dull town think the UK is cheap as chips and everyone is wealthy. The Americans want to move to the Emerald Isle and the Germans want to move to Majorca.
I'd have to agree.
It was only 5 minutes ago that NZ was top of the pops for expats.
People either find what they what or they dont, but just like we all did, they have to go and try it for themselves.

Last edited by Justcol; Jul 14th 2022 at 10:44 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

There is indeed a degree of truth in what you say. That said I have been here long enough to be able to see (from what I read and hear) that NZ did used to be, to a degree, the ‘land of milk and honey’......I don’t think that is the case anymore.

NZ is awash with issues, yes, I know many other countries have issues too, but I think the fact that so many kiwis are heading back over to Oz and elsewhere to carve out a better life where houses are affordable and wages are better.

And therein lies the rub with both the latter and the former. Wages, in spite of the recent raised minimum wage over the last few years, are really bad here. Couple that with some of the most expensive housing in relationship to earnings, NZ really is not a place for young folk to get ahead.

It can be okay for crusty old retirees like me...but not for youth in my humble opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.