Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Same old fee scam by NZ moving company

Same old fee scam by NZ moving company

Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Same old fee scam by NZ moving company

It seems that the same old scam by NZ moving companies of trying to overcharge on MAF etc. fees is still going on strong. We're due to have our container back on Thursday, and at the last minute the local company is asking for us to pay over 1100 nzd for "official charges and paperwork", which is more than twice the sum of charges stated on the official MAF and port/customs websites! Naturally we asked for a cost breakdown, and it stated among other things 200 nzd for MAF inspector's travelling fee for a distance of around 5 kms! The official fee for up to 10 km radius is 72 nzd... They also had the cheek to try to charge us for filling in a MAF declaration form, which I personally filled in before the container left! :curse:

I just wrote them the angriest email ever, and I almost feel sorry for anyone who has to read it. I made it clear that the only contract I've signed includes full service, including paperwork, and that I am only prepared to pay the actual, official port, customs and MAF fees and no imaginary extras. I also quoted the actual MAF etc fees to point out that I know they're overcharging. I also made it very clear that the expatriate community is well aware of this very questionable practice of trying to overcharge on fees by NZ moving companies.

So a word of warning: the same old scam is still going on, so make sure you get your moving contract's wording so that it leaves no leeway for the local companies for overcharging you. I spoke to MAF today and no MAF fees can be determined before the actual inspection has been done as the sum is based on items inspected and the total inspection time, which are not known until the inspection is over. The rules and fees can be found on the MAF website, so check them before agreeing to pay anything. The port & customs fees are also available on the port web pages.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Same old fee scam by NZ moving company

Well, they today replied to us that they won't deliver the container until we pay them the sum they want! They're basically holding our stuff for ransom. :curse::curse::curse:

After yesterday's very angry email to them they've sent a new breakdown, which is not the same they sent us earlier and the reasons for the fees have changed... By doctoring the breakdown they've now managed to make the sums match, but they're still not nearly the same as on official websites, and the explanations for the fees are different than two days ago! They also told us that if we had wanted to challenge their billing policy, we should have done it earlier and claim to have sent the quote already in May. Well, in May they quoted us a sum that was 550 nzd lower than the one they quoted on Monday this week and which we have disputed right from the moment we saw it!

If I had more time, I'd instruct that our original shippers change their subcontractor here, but I don't have the time as the movers notified us that unless the sum is paid today, they're going to cancel the inspections, store our container in their facility and charge us extra for it (again the port website states that up to 7 days storage is free, but the movers seem to operate on rules of their own). How's that for business tactics?

We have no choice than to pay and they knew it from the start. It's fairly obvious that they first quote a lot lower fee and then quote the actual fee so close to the arrival of the stuff that people don't have the time to make other arrangements.

The most frustrating thing is that we tried to avoid the scams by asking for information on the fees from the start, and they still managed to shaft us royally! After getting the worst customer service attitude ever and suffering from their shitty rip-off tactics, I'm more than happy not to recommend them to anyone who wants to make sure that their agents are not using this particular company in NZ -just drop me a PM.

I can't help wondering about the legal aspects: a company that we have no signed contract with is holding our stuff random until we pay them fees that are in conflict with the only contract we've signed...

Last edited by Mgee; Jul 21st 2010 at 3:20 am.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:13 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

The amount seems excesive. I have had two 20 foot containers delviered. the first cost about $150 in MAFF fees, about 40% of which were 'handling fees' which at the time i thought was not on but compared to yours I'm happy now.

The second we paid about the same but this time the handling fees disapeared.

Are you at liberty to say who you are using? I used Allied and my only complaint was they chraged me for de-vanning into a smaller delivery van. Basically most streets in wellington won't be able to cope with a 20 foot container lorry so their 'Wellington charges' should allow for devanning imho.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

The company name starts with a B, and I'm happy to tell their full name if you PM me We live in one of the (rare) flatter suburbs in Welly, and although they need to wheel the stuff in through a footpath for a few metres, the container can be parked right outside the house and there are only 7 steps on the way before the stuff is inside the house, so no de-vanning etc is needed in our case.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Try Fair Go. ...

http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/contact-team-767759
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:59 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mgee
The company name starts with a B, and I'm happy to tell their full name if you PM me We live in one of the (rare) flatter suburbs in Welly, and although they need to wheel the stuff in through a footpath for a few metres, the container can be parked right outside the house and there are only 7 steps on the way before the stuff is inside the house, so no de-vanning etc is needed in our case.
Bev will put a post on regarding this!!! it has gone on for a long time now I do belive in the past we have had the company name in print for all to see.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Know how you feel, exactly the same happened to us, its very frustrating and upsetting when you just want your stuff. Good Luck hope you sort something out.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:11 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
Bev will put a post on regarding this!!! it has gone on for a long time now I do belive in the past we have had the company name in print for all to see.
Sorry to read about your situation, it certainly does appear to happen more often than it should.

I respect and thank you for stating you will name the company concerned by PM and not on the open forum. We do have to be careful regarding any possible future legalities, especially if you were to try to negotiate with the company regarding their fees.

Fingers crossed you can get the bill down and your stuff arrives in one piece. Best of luck.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Update: our European moving agent (the one we have the contract with) is investigating the matter. They were quite surprised at the NZ company's tactics and arguments. It's not just us the local agencies are fooling: by initially quoting lower prices they win the deals from overseas agents but just transfer the fees to the end customers i.e. us.

We're getting the container tomorrow after paying the fee, but as soon as the last box is in, I'm going to make complaints to every possible official/controlling body.

Hmmm. Just a thought: since our case is by no means the only one, maybe those of us who've been victims of the same scam could report this together to Fair Go? I'm sure that an organised scam has more appeal to them than just a single incident.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a great welcome to New Zealand is it? And whilst this is no consolation, you'll be the umpteenth hundred person that has suffered this ruse, so the UK shipper can hardly claim:

They were quite surprised at the NZ company's tactics and arguments.
They must have heard it a thousand times or more, except I guess the real ruse is that half the people that do get scammed, simply pay the ransom money and don't complain.

Make sure to ask them for a copy of the 'actual' MAF bill when they are done.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
so the UK shipper can hardly claim *snip*

Make sure to ask them for a copy of the 'actual' MAF bill when they are done.
We're not from the UK and the second people whose move to NZ the company has handled, so I do believe them. They were quite apologetic when we phoned them a few hours ago, as they should be, but also stated that they haven't yet paid the NZ company anything and will not do so until the matter is solved.

I will certainly ask for the MAF bill/receipt from the MAF inspector when s/he arrives tomorrow. This isn't exactly good publicity for them either when others are cashing in on them.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Jeez, thats really unfair!!

I too am a bit concerned about this scam, and I'm not too sure how to avoid it from this end?

Are there certain companies in the UK that would not deal with the 'scam' companies, who are recommended, tried and tested without any issues?

I know we can't really name the bad ones, but we can name the good ones...
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice

Evening all

I came on to ask about this very same subject.
Getting quotes from Anglo Pacific and PSS for UK to NZ (hopefully)
PM me any issues with any of these, or who else should I look at ??

thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandsarah
Evening all

I came on to ask about this very same subject.
Getting quotes from Anglo Pacific and PSS for UK to NZ (hopefully)
PM me any issues with any of these, or who else should I look at ??

thanks

It's not an issue with the UK side, as they will tell you it is either all included door to door, or they may tell you you have to pay the MAF fees on arrival. The issue is not with the MAF fees themselves, as people don't mind paying the correct sum, it is the 'unexpected' premiums that the NZ handler adds on and charges up front before they even know what the MAF fee will be.

The two main handlers this side are:

NZ Van Lines (AKA Worlwide Movers)
The Moving Company

Both these companies have been known to charge inflated MAF fees.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Silly question, and I'm gonna get shot down here I know, but why do you need "handlers" at that side?

Can't you just hire Luton a van and collect your gear from MAF?

{hides in corner while someone loads their rifle!}

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.