Salt Usage

Old Dec 31st 2013, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Question Salt Usage

Tried various stores for dishwasher salt without success. Eventually informed by kindly lady in Bunnings that it is not required in NZ.
Does anyone else use it or is it not required?
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Salt Usage

Old thread HERE.

I don't use the stuff and it's all fine.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 10:12 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was another fish and chips thread, disappointed now

They do like to put a lot of salt on in NZ - I always say no and do it myself at home or the chips are ruined

Never heard of dishwasher salt...though I never had one in the uk and we never used the one we had in NZ. What does it do?
Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice

There's a small tank for it in the bottom of our dishwasher with a screw on lid - I believe it softens the water in the dishwasher and this helps prevent the white effect that gradually appears on glasses washed in the dishwasher!

If this gives any indication whatsoever that it sounds like I know what I'm talking about then that this entirely coincidental ...
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Thanks. That'll save time searching.
Here is some info taken from the web...
WHY DOES MY MACHINE HAVE A WATER SOFTENER?

If the water is soft (i.e. does not contain calcium particles), the detergent will work more effectively and there will be less streaking on dishes. Hard water can also block the washer jets with lime scale and cause deposits on heating elements, which will reduce the cleaning efficiency, increase electricity costs and shorten the life of the machine. All dishwasher manufacturers (Bosch, Miele, Siemens) and detergent suppliers want you to get the best results from the machine - and soft water is one of the most important factors in achieving this. The way to ensure water remains soft is to regularly top up the reservoir with granular salt.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:47 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
I thought this was another fish and chips thread, disappointed now

They do like to put a lot of salt on in NZ - I always say no and do it myself at home or the chips are ruined

Never heard of dishwasher salt...though I never had one in the uk and we never used the one we had in NZ. What does it do?
A lot of areas in UK have hard water that can leave lime scale stains on dishes from a dishwasher hence salt is added to soften the water. Where we lived in the Midlands the water was very hard so a lot of homes had water softners fitted at the in point to combat lime scale build up in all of the potable appliances. The company I worked for used 4 tons of salt per calander month, it was a big problem in coolant mixing.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 9:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. Bournemouth and Dorset water was hard.

Here in the Nelson and Bays region the water is soft.

So little detergent is needed
Old Dec 31st 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

We searched too and couldn't find. A wee bit of Internet research told us that coarse grain salt is the same, the farmers use it here in their irrigation.nWe got a sack of coarse grain salt from farmlands (agriculture place) for $12. I am expecting it to last me a very very very long time!
Old Jan 1st 2014, 1:51 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased a box of dishwasher salt from Harvey Norman. I live in a hard water area. Dishwasher salt does the job but the dishwasher just guzzles salt like there's no tomorrow. A box of salt lasted about three weeks.

I just stopped using it in the end. It made no difference to the quality of the end result.