British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Salary question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/salary-question-915889/)

mikenotts Aug 9th 2018 10:15 pm

Salary question

Hello

Just been approached about a job for a global company based in Auckland, middle management. Was asked my salary expectations and I don't have a clue (was initially aiming for a move from UK to Oz, but after a couple of unsuccessful interviews branched out to NZ)

Could anyone give me a clue at what would be the going-rate in these circumstances (34 yr old, 12 years of experience in marketing/comms, uni educated) and what would afford me to live comfortably in Auckland, own small flat in young part of town.

Thanks very much

Mike

escapedtonz Aug 10th 2018 1:55 am

Re: Salary question

Originally Posted by mikenotts (Post 12545976)
Hello

Just been approached about a job for a global company based in Auckland, middle management. Was asked my salary expectations and I don't have a clue (was initially aiming for a move from UK to Oz, but after a couple of unsuccessful interviews branched out to NZ)

Could anyone give me a clue at what would be the going-rate in these circumstances (34 yr old, 12 years of experience in marketing/comms, uni educated) and what would afford me to live comfortably in Auckland, own small flat in young part of town.

Thanks very much

Mike

Marketing manager (if that's what you are?) between $80k and $180k per annum. Salary dependent on age, experience, essential NZ experience regardless of whether it matters or not and qualifications.
If it is just you then I'm sure you could afford to live on $80k a year. Can't promise you'll be able to buy a place and afford to live in it unless you have money to bring with you.
Probably need another $30k for another adult and for a family 2 adults/2 kids rock bottom I'd say around $120/$130k to comfortably live in Auckland as a family.

chc4me Aug 10th 2018 2:16 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mikenotts (Post 12545976)

Tough question that depends on a whole range of factors. I suggest taking a look at www.seek.co.nz and finding comparable jobs. There is also a number of annual surveys, I've attached one that I found that covers NZ and Australia (page 113 for Auckland Marketing salaries)

Bo-Jangles Aug 10th 2018 9:25 am

I would ask for at least 2.5 to 3 times whatever you earn now and if that doesn't get you to anywhere near $100k then I would recommend that you take a long hard look at cost of living threads on here and you'll have to think about where you can afford to live.

desmondo84 Aug 21st 2018 7:22 am

Ask for 3 times your current salary. Min 100k if on your own. Ideally 120 and get some health insurance if you can...

Bo-Jangles Aug 22nd 2018 7:20 am

Based on our Prime Minister's salary i think we really should be raising our salary expectations to > 3 times

Teresa May NZ$289,369 (£150,402) v Jacinda Ardern $459,739 - if I were Teresa May I would be well pissed off and demanding a pay rise relative to job-size. :confused:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...aries-stack-up

sr71 Aug 27th 2018 9:48 am

They are all underpaid compared to the Singaporean PM

darbydoo Sep 9th 2018 1:23 am

As a guide, based on my own experience in Marketing management role in Auckland - work out your UK salary in NZ dollars and add around 25% to account for the increased living costs :)