Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Salary equivalents between UK and NZ

Salary equivalents between UK and NZ

Old May 27th 2018, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Salary equivalents between UK and NZ

Originally Posted by bearskin
Mmmmmwhahahahahahahaha. That is hilarious. The temperature in the UK in summer can get a LOT hotter than it does here in Auckland (that's where you're considering living, yes?). And "summer" here - I'd call that the time where you get consistent nice sunny and settled weather... that's a total of 6 weeks - generally from the end of Jan to the beginning of March - just as schools go back after the 'summer break'. Spring and Autumn are a write-off... it rains all the time and where in the uK you might get the occasional storm where property is threatened, trees down etc - that happens about half a dozen times a year here; so once a month during Spring and Autumn.
Well that's interesting. I guess weather stats don't tell the real story.
Auckland certainly seems to have a lot warmer winters.
Regarding the 6 weeks were you get consistent nice sunny and settled weather, that's never guaranteed in the UK, even in the warmer, drier south east where I live. Some years it feels like we haven't had a summer at all.
This last winter, like 5 years ago was very long and colder that usual.
It cooled down quickly in September (which is never a good sign) and was a bitterly cold winter, right through into late March .That for me is depressing, especially when I feel the cold. And the grey dark days where we don't see the sun for days on end.

Your comment about Autumn and Spring are interesting. Here in Essex, we have the driest climate in the UK. So we can get out and about a lot even if it is grey and/or cold. Coming originally from Lancashire it's noticeable how much drier it is here.
I think moving back to a very wet climate would be a bit of a concern. I get quite wheezy sometimes when I go back home and I think it's because of the damper (and colder) climate.

Last edited by Chipster; May 27th 2018 at 9:41 pm. Reason: Spelling errors
Old May 27th 2018, 11:04 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipster
Auckland certainly seems to have a lot warmer winters.
As always it depends on the local UK climate you are in but I'll say one thing, I have had precisely two mornings with any frost or ice on my windscreen in the nearly 8yrs I've been here.

Yes its a wet climate, I think around 2x the rainfall of the UK on average - but it rains on average 4x as fast so spends less hours actually raining...BAU is a torrential shower that moves on quickly so if you are equipped or outdoorsy I find you can work around the weather fairly easily.

Please bear in mind that your "Experienced SAP Consultant in Auckland" average salary figure could, quite literally, be based on 3 people. In many ways the NZ labour market is <not> a liquid one, especially once you move towards the higher end of skills and experience.
Old May 28th 2018, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by simonsi
As always it depends on the local UK climate you are in but I'll say one thing, I have had precisely two mornings with any frost or ice on my windscreen in the nearly 8yrs I've been here.

Yes its a wet climate, I think around 2x the rainfall of the UK on average - but it rains on average 4x as fast so spends less hours actually raining...BAU is a torrential shower that moves on quickly so if you are equipped or outdoorsy I find you can work around the weather fairly easily.

Please bear in mind that your "Experienced SAP Consultant in Auckland" average salary figure could, quite literally, be based on 3 people. In many ways the NZ labour market is <not> a liquid one, especially once you move towards the higher end of skills and experience.
Thanks .I may have to diversify into a more pure Business analyst role for a bigger selection of jobs but I would imagine the salaries aren't as high.
Old May 29th 2018, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks .I may have to diversify into a more pure Business analyst role for a bigger selection of jobs but I would imagine the salaries aren't as high.
i don’t know salaries, but I was recruiting for an experience BA recently and around $800 per day was the rate, for a government organization so could well be higher in the private sector
Old May 29th 2018, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute

Given the rule of thumb of contracting vs perm (hourly rate = annual salary/ 1000) that suggests salary of 100k
Old May 29th 2018, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sr71

i don’t know salaries, but I was recruiting for an experience BA recently and around $800 per day was the rate, for a government organization so could well be higher in the private sector
Ok thanks for that. There are some govt roles out there at the moment. Local govt.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Well that's interesting. I guess weather stats don't tell the real story.
They certainly don't. Stats are always a bit meh IMVHO.

People overseas often seem to think the general climate in NZ is somehow better that places in the UK. Tiz not the case really. NZ is made up of micro climates. The weather will be different depending where you end up, not better.

You want the more even weather in NZ then look to Nelson/Tasman and Bay of Plenty otherwise you are going to be living in and with weather & 'events'.

Mind you even Nelson and Tasman got hit a few times this past year & it is the coldest I have known it .
Old May 29th 2018, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
They certainly don't. Stats are always a bit meh IMVHO.

People overseas often seem to think the general climate in NZ is somehow better that places in the UK. Tiz not the case really. NZ is made up of micro climates. The weather will be different depending where you end up, not better.

You want the more even weather in NZ then look to Nelson/Tasman and Bay of Plenty otherwise you are going to be living in and with weather & 'events'.

Mind you even Nelson and Tasman got hit a few times this past year & it is the coldest I have known it .
I'll probably end up in Auckland if I do make the move simply because of the work.
I'd read that Hawkes Bay was a nice climate .Do, sunny and reasonably hot summers.

I assume NZ is generally quite different from say Melbourne in Australia?
Old May 29th 2018, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sayang
Given the rule of thumb of contracting vs perm (hourly rate = annual salary/ 1000) that suggests salary of 100k
Not sure, I’d expect the salary to be higher, maybe $130-$150k

in Australian and NZ contract rates are not as different from permanent salaries as they are in the UK
Old May 29th 2018, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll probably end up in Auckland if I do make the move simply because of the work.
I'd read that Hawkes Bay was a nice climate .Do, sunny and reasonably hot summers.

I assume NZ is generally quite different from say Melbourne in Australia?
NZ is quite a long country, climate varies a lot. I’m in Auckland and arrived in November last year, it’s been pretty good since then. This week is the first time it’s actually been cold this year. Otherwise it’s been shorts weather. The odd tropical storm brings occasional downpours.

Melbourne is very dry, very hot in summer and slightly colder in winter. Auckland is similar to Sydney but a few degrees colder on average. Both get a reasonable amount of rain.
Old May 30th 2018, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I would urge the OP to push for the higher end of the scale and don't sell yourself short - especially not if you are anticipating landing a job in Auckland.

$100k in Auckland definitely will not feel like or afford you anything like 50k in the UK would. There's been a lot of articles in the media these past few weeks talking about the poor 'middle class'; the six figure income earners and the so-called 'high paid' are struggling to afford rent / mortgage and bills.

Just a couple of examples of recent articles which have been coming thick and fast since the budget a week or so ago, particularly poignant as increased petrol costs and the likes are at the front of people's minds and causing much concern for long term sustainability for people who are already 'budgeting' to the max, shopping for specials and freezing their butts off trying to cutting down on heating and power during winter months.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104...-say-shes-rich

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104...-costs-pile-up
Old May 30th 2018, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Big difference between those that are struggling and those that are poor at budgeting or managing their finances.

From the example in the news links

Income $8-10000

Rent $3100
Gas/Power $250
Broadband $80
Water $80

That leaves her $4500-6500 a month for everything else

That's not struggling or being poor.
Old May 30th 2018, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

NZ is quite a long country, climate varies a lot. I’m in Auckland and arrived in November last year, it’s been pretty good since then. This week is the first time it’s actually been cold this year. Otherwise it’s been shorts weather. The odd tropical storm brings occasional downpours.

Melbourne is very dry, very hot in summer and slightly colder in winter. Auckland is similar to Sydney but a few degrees colder on average. Both get a reasonable amount of rain.
i'm quite familiar with Melbourne and Sydney .Yes its closer to the Sydney climate from what I could see of the facts and figures.
But cooler, cloudier and slightly wetter. Not the extremes of heat I would imagine.
Old May 30th 2018, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I would urge the OP to push for the higher end of the scale and don't sell yourself short - especially not if you are anticipating landing a job in Auckland.

$100k in Auckland definitely will not feel like or afford you anything like 50k in the UK would. There's been a lot of articles in the media these past few weeks talking about the poor 'middle class'; the six figure income earners and the so-called 'high paid' are struggling to afford rent / mortgage and bills.

Just a couple of examples of recent articles which have been coming thick and fast since the budget a week or so ago, particularly poignant as increased petrol costs and the likes are at the front of people's minds and causing much concern for long term sustainability for people who are already 'budgeting' to the max, shopping for specials and freezing their butts off trying to cutting down on heating and power during winter months.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104...-say-shes-rich

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104...-costs-pile-up
thanks Bo-Jangles. I'll take a look at those articles.
I have my own house in the UK. Bought and paid for.
Selling that should give me enough to buy a property outright in Auckland. Although I wouldn't sell up immediately and rent instead.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 12:56 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Big difference between those that are struggling and those that are poor at budgeting or managing their finances.

From the example in the news links

Income $8-10000

Rent $3100
Gas/Power $250
Broadband $80
Water $80

That leaves her $4500-6500 a month for everything else

That's not struggling or being poor.
Thank God you're not budgeting for me as you seem to forget those pesky deductions that employees have to pay.
So 125k becomes 90k to begin with on PAYE, or 28% gone before you start. Then these families could have a student loan or two, that's another 12% each to IRD. That's 40% or possibly more lopped off to begin with.

Kiwisaver or some form of retirement planning is another factor, although I imagine that you think all these people own multiple investment properties so that is taken care of?? All because they can budget or plan financially. Of course.

And dental costs, doctors visits, school "donations", medical insurances, income protection, savings, leisure time costs - holidays, sports clubs, etc. Those people have kids so there are lots of other things to budget in, like child care, etc.

Don't forget transport costs as cities like Auckland have p-poor public transport and the cost of fuel is high if you sit in a traffic jam on your 1/2/3 hour commute to work.

The plain facts are that the frankly stupid cost of housing in Auckland in particular means that skilled professionals, essential workers, etc are leaving the city and makes me wonder who is moving in to replace them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.