British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Salary... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/salary-643073/)

helenlhoppy Dec 2nd 2009 2:23 pm

Salary...

:confused:
Hi have a job to go to in Wellsford. Will be living in the Warkworh/Snells Beach area. Is a wage of $69 000 ok do you think?

We fly out on the 27th December:scaredhair::fingerscrossed:

Thanks, Helen

Mudplug Dec 2nd 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Salary...

Not sure about the moneys but would like to wish you all the best :thumbsup:

garfield250 Dec 2nd 2009 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by helenlhoppy (Post 8141404)
:confused:
Hi have a job to go to in Wellsford. Will be living in the Warkworh/Snells Beach area. Is a wage of $69 000 ok do you think?

We fly out on the 27th December:scaredhair::fingerscrossed:

Thanks, Helen

Hi,

Check out http://www.emigratenz.org/cost-of-li...w-zealand.HTML there is a weekly budget calculator on the site which will give you an indication of weekly living expenses and what a suitable gross yearly slary will be needed, it also gives a list of average rental prices for houses in most provinces/town and cities around the country.

This is from the Rodney District Council web site regarding a survey conducted in Warkworth;

Warkworth Diamond Survey Results
A survey of Warkworth residents was conducted through the Rodney Times in April - May 2009. The Diamond Survey is a new approach to measuring the attractiveness of a village or town. The higher the score the more attractive the place is.
Respondents were asked to:

Rate Warkworth on a scale of 1 to 10 on its attractiveness for Liveability, Workability, Visitability, and Investability.
List its strengths and weaknesses as a place

Some Warkworth Strengths:

Dog friendly with a village atmosphere
Great community spirit
Picturesque setting by the river
Low crime rate, good rural town
Nice park end of town and good public library
Good schools
Some Warkworth Weaknesses:

High cost of living especially for petrol and food
Shopping - lack of big names and lack of supermarket competition
Lack of available work
Traffic /congestion Issues - SH1 dissecting the town, and the Hill Street roundabout a permanent frustration
Public Transport - lacking in terms of commuting to Auckland in particular
Parking- lacking especially in summer, but please do not put meters in!
Lack of entertainment/nightlife

Justcol Dec 3rd 2009 4:45 am

Great for one person might struggle if its got to support a family.
Average kiwi wage is $47k so your well over that.

Jo-Chris Dec 3rd 2009 5:16 am

Hi Helen,

You can look on Hays website www.hays.com.au/salary they have average salaries for various occupations in NZ so you will be able to tell if you wage is ok. We are coping just fine on a similar wage to you, with just one of us earning at the moment if you want any more info just PM me.

Jo

Stoof Dec 3rd 2009 6:51 am

we're a few miles down the road (closer to Akl) from your planned destination (probably higher rent i think) and struggling a bit... horses for courses tho... might be fine for you, specially if it's just yourself to worry bout as per colandros, and you don't dine every evening on roast swan and noodle doodles which we do.

j19fmm Dec 3rd 2009 2:10 pm

And don't forget you get the Rodeo at New Years :thumbsup: lucky lucky people :D

zummerzet_lou Dec 3rd 2009 6:20 pm

Congratulations :thumbup:

69k will certainly be managable ... you're not going to be jetting off on luxury holiday , and buying posh cars on it but you can certainly be quite comfortable.

Lou

TeamEmbo Dec 3rd 2009 6:57 pm

It's impossible to answer really. Is that before tax? Depends on so many things (which are all very personal) like will you be morgage free? Do you have expensive taste? Like to take lots of holidays? Do you have children? If renting a house, are you ok with renting somewhere modest that meets your needs as opposed to somewhere flash? Are you good at living off a budget and shopping for bargains? Do you have expensive hobbies?

Am not meaning to sound negative. I guess its doable depending on your own personal standards of living and whether you're the sort to cut the cloth accordingly. But then no-one can ever have too much money, eh?

Anyway, congratulations on getting a job and wishing you a pleasant flight on 27th and a happy new life in NZ :)

kiwibok Dec 3rd 2009 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8142998)

I agree, if I was a single person renting. With no kids and wife to support it would probably be more than enough. Would probably even live quiet an extravagant lifestyle here on that. However, for us as a family of 4, and wife not working, kids activities etc.. there is no ways we would make ends meet on $69k.

sr71 Dec 4th 2009 9:59 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8142998)

And the average Kiwi also bought their house 10 years ago and has a $400 per month mortgage on a house now worth $750K.

Personally I think you need $150K+ to be comfortable as a family unless you are bringing a sizeable deposit or buyng a home outright.

nelsonpom Dec 4th 2009 10:46 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 8145855)
And the average Kiwi also bought their house 10 years ago and has a $400 per month mortgage on a house now worth $750K.

Personally I think you need $150K+ to be comfortable as a family unless you are bringing a sizeable deposit or buyng a home outright.

What rubbish $150k + you could live like a king unless you have a drink or drug problem :rofl:

TeamEmbo Dec 4th 2009 6:18 pm

And therein lies the problem... we all define "comfortable" differently.