Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Salaries and stuff

Salaries and stuff

Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Paresh is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Salaries and stuff

I've read with some interest previous threads on levels of salary. I still need to ask the question though! I have been offered a job in CBD Auckland with a salary of $85k. Have always been told with a salary like that i could have a nice house a reasonable standard of living and in time a boat on the harbour. Well...all of this sounds fantastic but is that really true- what are peoples thoughts on this. I'm not materialistic HONEST.....but have always wondered what my lifestyle would be like. I have a wife and a two year old boy. If i'm honest i'm not doing this for me but more for allowing my son the opportunities i didn't have when i was growing up. If i have a vision which is all 'blue sky thinking' and looking at NZ/Auckland through 'Rose tinted glasses' i apologise but am sure its a trap that many of us fall into. So do you think that with that level of salary i would be able to get by and have a confortable life?

Paresh x
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:34 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Salaries and stuff

Originally Posted by Paresh
I've read with some interest previous threads on levels of salary. I still need to ask the question though! I have been offered a job in CBD Auckland with a salary of $85k. Have always been told with a salary like that i could have a nice house a reasonable standard of living and in time a boat on the harbour. Well...all of this sounds fantastic but is that really true- what are peoples thoughts on this. I'm not materialistic HONEST.....but have always wondered what my lifestyle would be like. I have a wife and a two year old boy. If i'm honest i'm not doing this for me but more for allowing my son the opportunities i didn't have when i was growing up. If i have a vision which is all 'blue sky thinking' and looking at NZ/Auckland through 'Rose tinted glasses' i apologise but am sure its a trap that many of us fall into. So do you think that with that level of salary i would be able to get by and have a confortable life?

Paresh x
How long is a bit of string?

depend on lots of stuff...not least being Mortgage , lifestyle expectancy etc

Lots of people have very kindly posted the family budget on the Forum....which is useful.

My Mother and father in law find it easy...no mortgage, own house two good fixed income pensions.

My brother in law (Auckland) is a teacher has a mortgage and cannot make end s meet (thinking about going back to germany)

My other brother in law small mortgage in Dargaville on a lifestyle kills his own food and grows his own veg...still defaults on the odd payment.

Another Brother in law (an american kiwi) lives in Auckland Te Atau has two or three properties that he rents, has a good job but will admit to finding it a struggle at times but in general loves to be in NZ (never leaving).

So it really depends on:

1) Your expectancy of lifestyle

2) Bills

have a great one
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:59 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
So it really depends on:

1) Your expectancy of lifestyle

2) Bills
I just love the simplicity of your spot on reply!!! Well done.

I would say $85k is a very reasonable salary for a young family with only one pre-school aged child. This is the level of salary that my several years post qualified ACA accountancy friends have and they do just fine. Obviously it will depend on your circumstances and financial aptitude though hence Paul's 'how long is a piece of string' answer. So my personal response is 'it would be fine for us thank you.' Carmen.

p.s. welcome to the forum.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

[in time a boat on the harbour.

Does anybody know anybody with a boat on the harbour??? Who owns them? I know people with fishing boats they keep at home? But who owns those big lovely ones...If you do...can I come out for the day???!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:26 am
livewire

The salary is ok but how far it goes really does depend on how much mortgage/rent you pay out every week or month.

Not many people buying into the Auckland property market are free of the burden of a mortgage, or a sizable rental payout every week. How far 85k will take you will depend a great deal on how much money you have to bring with you and what standard of living you find acceptable.

Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

You wont get a nice house or boat unless you have a large sum to bring from the UK. Its easy to fall into the rose tinted specs trap - i did myself.

Whats the job? Have you researched what other companies would pay? Have you tried to negotiate the salary?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Question Re: Salaries and stuff

Hey. This is such a great place to get info!!! Thanks for all your replies. In answer to some of them- yep how long is a piece of string. I guess it depends as you rightly said on what choices you make and its about not being totally in control of some financial burdens like rent/mortgages. I'm bringing about £20K with me but have just heard from my employers (Auckland Regional Transport Authority) that they can't seem to find me a rental property less than $1000/per week. This is in the CBD and is serviced. I'm scared now that i won't be able to get anything cheap and cheerful to rent whilst i'm looking for a property to buy. It really is expensive to get a place. Guess that big boat or indeed a small fishing one will have to wait...i get sea sick anywany so no worries!!! Any advice on where to rent and places to find rental properties would be appreciated......

P
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Hey. This is such a great place to get info!!! Thanks for all your replies. In answer to some of them- yep how long is a piece of string. I guess it depends as you rightly said on what choices you make and its about not being totally in control of some financial burdens like rent/mortgages. I'm bringing about £20K with me but have just heard from my employers (Auckland Regional Transport Authority) that they can't seem to find me a rental property less than $1000/per week. This is in the CBD and is serviced. I'm scared now that i won't be able to get anything cheap and cheerful to rent whilst i'm looking for a property to buy. It really is expensive to get a place. Guess that big boat or indeed a small fishing one will have to wait...i get sea sick anywany so no worries!!! Any advice on where to rent and places to find rental properties would be appreciated......

P
Are you sure its $1000 per week? Thats sounds a bit steep and wont leave you much of your salary - i'd expect 4-500 per week for an apartment in the CBD.

It'll be expensive to find a place to buy with only £20k to play with - you wont find many properties in Auckland for less then $400k so you'll end up with a huge mortgage. Its worth doing some serious research before commiting.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Totally agree. Actually i do have more money i could commit but am relutant to exchnge it all unless i am 100% happy and want to stay so could afford something around the $300k property bracket.

Can't believe it would be that expensive to rent a propoerty. I'm gonna surf some websites to see if i can find anything cheaper. have been told that as its coming to the height of summer soon. Many properties are taken up by holiday'ers and students!

damn those students...feels like i'm back at uni again.....
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:55 pm
livewire

Yes you could pay that much for a serviced apartment in the CBD, but people only tend to use them for a week or two unless their employers are picking up the tab. There are plenty of rentals up here on the North Shore but expect to pay 400-500 a week for something nice. Also, plenty of rooms for rent in shared houses for much less than that.

Ask your prospective employers to find you a motel near to work for the first week or two and use that time to have a look around at places to rent.

Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Totally agree. Actually i do have more money i could commit but am relutant to exchnge it all unless i am 100% happy and want to stay so could afford something around the $300k property bracket.

Can't believe it would be that expensive to rent a propoerty. I'm gonna surf some websites to see if i can find anything cheaper. have been told that as its coming to the height of summer soon. Many properties are taken up by holiday'ers and students!

damn those students...feels like i'm back at uni again.....
The rental price you are talking about is more for the short term serviced apartment type accommodation. In terms of renting your own place, you should be able to get nice rental accommodation in say parnell or ponsonby (both very nice areas for renting, handy to the city, on the Link bus route, lots of places to go out at night etc) for $350 - $400 pw. You will most likely need to sign a 6 month lease, but that gives you time to look round for a decent place to buy in any event.

Unfortunately $300k to buy isnt much for Auckland

Check out realenz.co.nz but the NZ Herald would be your best resource when you get to Auckland.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

If it helps, you can buy a small house for $300,000 outside Auckland CBD.( West Auckland ) but you'll have more of a commute. Generally 40 - 50 minutes in rush hour traffic
Old Oct 28th 2005, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Wanna be Kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Paresh x
hi new to this forum / site
im looking to move to nz in the near future just waiting for medicals at minute.
85k sounds good but will certainly depend on mortgage etc
ive been emailing a guy called Gary Grant
he has sent me some real good info on properties & mortgages
something to bear in mind when buying property in NZ is that the land the property is built on may not be included in the prices of the house and you will have to pay rent. The original house price however will be cheaper than an out right purchase. another site i found that gives good info on property types and prices is www.realnz.co.nz
try the franklin district of aukland apparently is more than reasonable and comuteable to cbd

Last edited by Sue; Oct 28th 2005 at 6:30 pm. Reason: email address removed to protect privacy
Old Oct 28th 2005, 11:04 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanna be Kiwi
hi new to this forum / site
im looking to move to nz in the near future just waiting for medicals at minute.
85k sounds good but will certainly depend on mortgage etc
ive been emailing a guy called Gary Grant
he has sent me some real good info on properties & mortgages
something to bear in mind when buying property in NZ is that the land the property is built on may not be included in the prices of the house and you will have to pay rent. The original house price however will be cheaper than an out right purchase. another site i found that gives good info on property types and prices is www.realnz.co.nz
try the franklin district of aukland apparently is more than reasonable and comuteable to cbd
hello & welcome. it's realenz.co.nz. try open2view.com too - it's great.