British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Salaries (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/salaries-560351/)

getmethere Sep 8th 2008 8:28 pm

Salaries

Hi everyone

We've been applying for some jobs from the UK. While I know it's probably very rare to get a job while offshore, we'll still trying!!!

A couple of the application forms have asked us to say what salary we expect but we have no clue!!!!!!!!

What is a reasonable salary out there? I know that's a vague question depending on industry, position, level etc but please someone give me an idea - don't want them to think I'm cheap but equally don't want to list too high and they think I'm overestimating my worth.

Working in Environmental management but only have couple of years experience. If I applied for a job in the UK, I'd be looking at jobs with a range of £30-40000.

Genesis Sep 9th 2008 6:59 am

Re: Salaries

Originally Posted by getmethere (Post 6762781)
Hi everyone

We've been applying for some jobs from the UK. While I know it's probably very rare to get a job while offshore, we'll still trying!!!

A couple of the application forms have asked us to say what salary we expect but we have no clue!!!!!!!!

What is a reasonable salary out there? I know that's a vague question depending on industry, position, level etc but please someone give me an idea - don't want them to think I'm cheap but equally don't want to list too high and they think I'm overestimating my worth.

Working in Environmental management but only have couple of years experience. If I applied for a job in the UK, I'd be looking at jobs with a range of £30-40000.

£40k at today's rate ($2.63) equates to about $105k. That is a HUGE salary in NZ. Only 5% apparently earn over $100k. Experienced nurse is on around $55k ish. Police officer about $50k. I had what was considered a well paid job at the local council and that was around $50k. So you will see what you may earn in the Uk may be less than what you will get in NZ. An experienced civil engineer for the council will earn $90k.

The median salary in NZ is currently $35k. A couple of years ago I saw a full time helicopter pilot's job and that was only $75K!!!!!

I hope this gives you a vague idea on wages.

CAN2NZ Sep 9th 2008 10:58 am

The treasury department says only 3% make over $100K. Don't exchange the salaries here to pounds to compare. Compare what your needs are to how much you need to make. That is the best way. A budget that leaves you some wiggle room for unexpected expenses or those trips we all make to pick up supplies from the DIY store.

The average weekly pay here is only $880 per week. However, if one spouse works and the other works part time and you have some savings, I don't see why anyone should not be able to live nicely.

CAN2NZ Sep 9th 2008 11:02 am

Oh, I meant to say, you don't have to indicate your salary expectation when you apply. If you have some contacts at an agency, you might be able to get some information to help you understand the rate you might expect.

lardyl Sep 9th 2008 1:34 pm

Yes, Genesis is right - I'd suggest that putting $100k on an application form would probably attract it to the bin, unless of course the employer is crying out for your skills - I have a mate who is in your kind of business, running an effluent treatment plant. He is senior with an academic background, 15 years experience, a PhD in water treatment, etc but I could ask him what the going rates are - PM me and I'll try to sound it out.

My background is in forensics and my salary in UK was about £65k and it became $60k here when the employer asked me how much I wanted to be paid (at interview!). Now I work for myself I don't get paid a salary and will probably be taxed on less than $100k......depends on what we gross for the rest of the year......and how much I pay the missus, how much I can write off against anything else the accountant can help me with, etc, etc.....

Working for myself and networking with other business owners leads me to be rather sceptical about the 3% over 100k stat, but I'll not get into that one again.........unless someone wants a fight........:p

nic.gem.soph Sep 9th 2008 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6765193)
My background is in forensics

oooh being nosy what do you do?

nic

lardyl Sep 9th 2008 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph (Post 6766010)
oooh being nosy what do you do?

nic

used to do general chemical stuff - paint/glass/gunshot residues/explosives/metals/fires/CS spray/occupational injuries, etc

But for the last 12 years I've done fire and explosion investigations.

Often outdoor work but not as glamorous as you see on TV. ;)

Batty Sep 10th 2008 9:06 am

Do a search for the Hays Salary Survey - that gives an idea of the salaries for different professions.

MrCFD Sep 10th 2008 9:45 pm

If you have to state a salary expectation on an application form simply put "competitive" or "negotiable". You don't want to price yourself out of the market from the start.

I agree with Lardyl that 3% is completely misleading. There is a high proportion of business owners here (including self-employed, sole traders, etc). This means that they pay tax on their profits, not their income. I am a sole trader and my profits this year are likely to be around the $65k mark. My income on the other hand will be a hell of a lot more than that! My business is thinking of buying a jag for me, which will make my profits even less!

lardyl Sep 10th 2008 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by MrCFD (Post 6770496)
.....I agree with Lardyl that 3% is completely misleading. There is a high proportion of business owners here (including self-employed, sole traders, etc). This means that they pay tax on their profits, not their income. I am a sole trader and my profits this year are likely to be around the $65k mark. My income on the other hand will be a hell of a lot more than that! My business is thinking of buying a jag for me, which will make my profits even less!

you're not an accountant are you?
mine's still sorting out my provisional tax and in our Co.s case that was due amonth early on 31 July.....grrr......joys of having a 13 month year in year one :unsure:
might just pay a random figure anyway.......

MrCFD Sep 11th 2008 6:09 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6770544)
you're not an accountant are you?
mine's still sorting out my provisional tax and in our Co.s case that was due amonth early on 31 July.....grrr......joys of having a 13 month year in year one :unsure:
might just pay a random figure anyway.......

Pretty much what I did! I'm not an accountant, but do my tax accounts myself. I have a contact at the IRD that helps me out ;)

lardyl Sep 11th 2008 8:45 am

Originally Posted by MrCFD (Post 6771347)
Pretty much what I did! I'm not an accountant, but do my tax accounts myself. I have a contact at the IRD that helps me out ;)

If anyone else wants to know how to deal with a friendly IRD person on the North Shore PM me and I'll send their details - they even do home visits to help you assess deductable floorspace in your home office. Very friendly. :thumbup:

nic.gem.soph Sep 11th 2008 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6766808)
used to do general chemical stuff - paint/glass/gunshot residues/explosives/metals/fires/CS spray/occupational injuries, etc

But for the last 12 years I've done fire and explosion investigations.

Often outdoor work but not as glamorous as you see on TV. ;)

:rofl: tell me about it, I do "fingerprints", the TV programme "CSI...." has a lot to answer for! I love the series but so unrealistic.

nic

lardyl Sep 11th 2008 10:07 pm

Yeah, when you've seen one "Real CSI:" tee shirt you've seen one too many :rofl:

Just bought some designer overalls and safety boots so I don't completely stupid when I get my "all seeing" Maglite out :rofl:

crap coffee Sep 11th 2008 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6766808)

;)

making rubber also? :blink: