Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Saint George's Day.

Saint George's Day.

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:56 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saint George's Day.

Originally Posted by Stormer999
The main problem with the St George flag is that the famous soccer hooligans adopted it as their war banner when travelling abroad and 'representing' England. Now it is associated throughout Europe as the sign of drunkeness and trouble.
The biggest problem for the English flag was when the National Front adopted it and it became associated with their disgusting beliefs

Dewb
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:31 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
The biggest problem for the English flag was when the National Front adopted it and it became associated with their disgusting beliefs

Dewb
True...if I see the Union Jack I see somthing I like to associate with.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:02 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Dewb
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
There's 60 million people in Britain and there are bound to be some that will say stupid things.
Well, I know where 650 of them are ~ Parlament!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Off to the local in my red and white check Ben Sherman button down shirt. What could be more English? Oh i know....rugger.

Go the Chiefs!
a tikka massala?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:32 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm partial to sweet and sour chicken meself.....
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

If you see the Union Jack it will be on the jackstaff of one of HM ships! Otherwise it will be the Union Flag!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Yotty
If you see the Union Jack it will be on the jackstaff of one of HM ships! Otherwise it will be the Union Flag!
Only on the forward jackstaff when they are at anchor though. How many war films make THAT mistake?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:53 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
Me thinks that is the White Ensign....a combination of St Georges Cross and the Union Jack. As far as I know the Union Jack is the Union Flag
I think at anchor the White Ensign and the Union Jack are both flown one at each end of the ship.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:09 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Flag ettiquette for sea going craft .. http://www.yosc.org.uk/flagetiquette.pdf
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I'm partial to sweet and sour chicken meself.....
I like sweet and sour pork, with egg fried rice. Happy St Georges day!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:26 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Perry

I made a special effort to wear my England T-shirt and I'm not in the BNP the NF or a football fan.

One-up for the 'Ordinary English'

Now... when's the next holiday?

WP
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:05 am

Cheers Perry

I made a special effort to wear my England T-shirt and I'm not in the BNP the NF or a football fan.

One-up for the 'Ordinary English'

Now... when's the next holiday?

WP
The secret is say your British and celebrate the other three as well....