Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Said goodbye to my cat :(

Said goodbye to my cat :(

Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of
Default Said goodbye to my cat :(

So today was the first 'sad' day to do with our move.

We have two cats, and we took the difficult decision to re home them instead of bringing them with us. For a number of reasons really - financially it was too much, we want the freedom to travel around without worrying about them, and don't think they would have coped with the stress of the whole situation.

Today I said goodbye to one of them and the other goes on Saturday. I have found them both a loving home, and am thankful that they didn't have to go to a shelter...but I feel so sad :'( I miss him already.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Said goodbye to my cat :(

What a difficult decision to have to make but one made in the best interests for you all. I had to leave my hamster with friends when I left but she had a good life with them and at least I knew she was well looked after. I adore hamsters so was so sad to leave her behind. Still miss my hamster friends.

I can't offer you any words of advice just something you have to deal with. You'll feel better for having found them loving homes but you'll still miss them terribly.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

I know how you feel. I had to do the same thing a few years ago with my cat. He was just too elderly to take with me. It was a really difficult decision but, like you, at least I knew that he was in a happy home and I kept reminding myself of that.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Have a cyber {{BE hug}} .

We love our pets so don't we but we want the very best for them.

Tough decision indeed . I'd suggest you skype with them but not sure they would co-operate.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Thanks guys. Nice knowing that others have been through the same.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 6:13 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

it's awful isn't it. I had to say goodbye to cats, dogs and rats. age was the main reason for not bringing the cats or dogs. Dilemma in the back of my mind as to what we do about the dog and cats we have here when/if we go home.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

You're very brave getting more animals over there after going through that heartache.

I heard from the new owner late last night saying she absolutely loves him and that he was cuddled up to her. Fickle animal haha. I feel loads better now though.

Cat number 2 goes on Saturday!
Old Nov 27th 2014, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Dandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond repute

One of our cats went on Saturday night to my brother and our old lady cat goes on Boxing day to the in-laws. My girls will be heartbroken when Lucy goes but because they are both going to family we are hoping we will get to see lots of pictures posted about them.
You never know they may Skype us!
Old Nov 27th 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

So sorry, but yes, you will now be able to travel around, wish you all the best for the move.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 7:20 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs I has to put down my 15yr old dog. Took him to vests and with all the lumps n bumps they wouldn't have let him in and he prob wouldn't have survived the flight gutted, still am.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Aw that's so sad
Old Nov 28th 2014, 11:22 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
it's awful isn't it. I had to say goodbye to cats, dogs and rats. age was the main reason for not bringing the cats or dogs. Dilemma in the back of my mind as to what we do about the dog and cats we have here when/if we go home.
Sorry that everyone is so sad that they can't bring their much loved pets with them and they have be rehomed to loving homes prior to the move. Or even 'euthanized' because of age and/or illness. (Done humanely by a vet, not a shovel to the back of the pet's head.)

Our old cat de-camped to live with the neighbours a few months before we left Britain. We fed him but he preferred to be next door. We formalised the arrangement by asking our neighbour if he wanted him just as he was about to ask if he could keep him. The arrangement suited all parties.

Like you MrsF, what to do with our cat should we leave the country ? The cost of exporting our cat is prohibitive. I read on here the checklist of what one pet owner was doing to transport a cat overseas and I was crying as I was reading it as I knew that's what we wouldn't be doing for our cat.

We did have two cats but one de-camped to a house in a neighbouring street here in NZ. Leaving us with one cat to rehome come the day........?