Sad day

Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:33 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sad day

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
There's the rationale argument - and quite sensible - yours.
Then there's the emotional argument.
Round my way, we were bred to hate her. Funny, I thought I would be more affected. Time dulls the emotions, evidently.

Or maybe the conditioning to despise her, in my youth, was just itself very flawed. I am the product of Thatcher and the hatred that circulated because of her. But I feel nothing at her passing. I think (and know) that I have moved on...
Same "conditioning" you refer to still happens all over the world, its fundamental to the reason the ME and NI conflicts have taken place over such an extended period (centuries in both cases)....
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Same "conditioning" you refer to still happens all over the world, its fundamental to the reason the ME and NI conflicts have taken place over such an extended period (centuries in both cases)....
I do quite agree.
It's very tribal. My "tribe" hated her. I have moved on from that, however, in part because my life experiences have empowered me to question it.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:46 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
I do quite agree.
It's very tribal. My "tribe" hated her. I have moved on from that, however, in part because my life experiences have empowered me to question it.
Karma given
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:32 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone talks of the 3 to 4 million jobs that disappeared during her time.

In 1987, at the start of her third term, unemployment had fallen to 1,600.000.

Meaning that many more new jobs had been created.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

“I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy, ” Dr. M. Luther King.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
“I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy, ” Dr. M. Luther King.
hitler? I would have rejoiced in his death...
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:50 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

"Queen Elizabeth II will be among the mourners at the funeral of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher on April 17, officials have announced.

Buckingham Palace said the Queen and her husband, Prince Philip, would attend the ceremony at St Paul's Cathedral, which is expected to draw dignitaries from around the globe.

The only other prime minister whose funeral the monarch has attended was that of Britain's World War II leader, Winston Churchill, in 1965."

Says it all.

Respect, Maggie.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Well said. I do agree she was a bastion of leadership and she had balls. Just don't agree with the Falklands War, or some of her right wing politics..more of a lefty me self, but not a Commie, they are all loonie.

Had I lived there I think I would rather have moved back to the UK (with suitable compensation from HM Govt.) than know 100s died fighting for a land that was so far away from the motherland I quite wonder how we ever thought it was ours.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

She was a fantastic PM & I voted for her. Of course I didn't agree with absolutely everything she did but she certainly turned Britain around. Shame Tony Blair & Gordon Brown undid all her good work.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for a well balanced thread, respect to all sides of the fence for keeping it civil.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

I had 3 hours to kill today, while stuck in a car trying to keep warm while my son played football (the sooner I move back to NZ the better!). I bought 3 papers - all of them full of Margaret Thatcher and little else. I have learned that; she is almost equally reviled (48%) and admired (52%) - in other words, she polarised opinions like no other leader; she was ill-informed about foreign policy (and much else); and was never a ideologue in the first place - rather she based her decisions on her principles of small state, individual responsibility, thrift, hard work etc. Now thrift and hard work etc seems eminently sensible, and what is to quibble about? However, she never tried to achieve consensus and loved division. Not a great way to bring a country together. I would say that her approach helped to fracture the idea of collective responsibility and contributed to the atomism of society today. I admire her strength and fighting spirit (especially as a woman in a man's world), and abhor that some of the criticisms at the time would not have been aimed at a man. But I disagree almost entirely with her politics and her approach.
As for the "state funeral" that's not a state funeral - what a waste of time and money - and the Iron Lady would have agreed.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I feel sad about her death. I think history will consider her a great leader. I awaited the hate-fest that would appear yeaterday, but surprisingly many whom I though would react in the usual way were more thoughful and considerate in regard to Maggie. She is also very well though of internationally.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by trafford
As for the "state funeral" that's not a state funeral - what a waste of time and money - and the Iron Lady would have agreed.
Actually, it was apparently Mrs Thatchers wish for this 'Ceremonial funeral' with all the trappings. She chose this over the more controlled state funeral . What she certainly didn't eschew, from what is written, was no expenditure , pomp and ceremony. Nor were the wishes for a humble affair.

It's said that a 'ceremonial funeral' saves the tax payers money. Had this been a real concern a private family funeral, paid for by her own family, would have been more apt.

State funerals follow strict rules and regs but must also have an element of the general public being involved. It would be seen as a national day of mourning.

Given this , it was probably thought best, by this person and those close to her, for that part to be left out.

I wouldn't wish death on anyone. If it has to be you wish it to be pain free and peaceful. I will not mourn this person's passing and do not see it as a sad day at all.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

There were two sides to her

Did not like how she branded Mandela a terrorist yet went to bed with Pinochet.

I think she was a supporter of arpatheid in South Africa as well, probably the worst thing to happen to any country

I cannot really comment too much as she left power when I was 7. I do remember having school milk mind in the afternoon with a digestive biscuit. that stoppped when we left London for Bournemouth

But she stuck to her guns and had a backbone. The last PM in my opinion that had one. Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron - well i'd be insulting pheasants if I said that they had a brain the size of a pheasant
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:39 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by trafford
she is almost equally reviled (48%) and admired (52%)
Actually the accurate figures are:

Hate her: 45%
Love her: 45%
Still think she IS the PM: 10%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.