Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RWC - Triumph or flop?

RWC - Triumph or flop?

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:12 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oooo. Hope you have a really great time mate. We would have loved to go to that game.
+1 -> BEVS
+1 -> Col

if you can't get a ticket you can still go to the Fan Zone where I'm sure there will be some great banter.

personally I'm watching with 15 or 20 Kiwi (and the odd Pomm) mates on me mate's huge estate having spent most of the day on a paintball safari with some Kiwis, Pomms and the odd "Sweaty"
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 5:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nelson Fanzone seems to be only showing the semis and the final.

Ref the tx. It's the cost of flights and accom that's always the problem .

We are going to the couple of games here in Nelson though.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Triumph or flop, it's getting tedious listening to tv and radio news at the moment when their regularly headline story is this morning/afternoon xxxx rugby rugby team landed at auckland/wellington/nelson/christchurch (replace as appropriate)
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:55 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Triumph or flop, it's getting tedious listening to tv and radio news at the moment when their regularly headline story is this morning/afternoon xxxx rugby rugby team landed at auckland/wellington/nelson/christchurch (replace as appropriate)
God how I would love to swap the never ending soccer twaddle for what you find tedious......
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
God how I would love to swap the never ending soccer twaddle for what you find tedious......
Behave and talk properly.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:34 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
Behave and talk properly.
We were travelling to New Brighton to play rugby (Union) and for all of our efforts could not find their ground. The coach driver stopped outside a big red brick built pub and muggins was sent in for directions. The biggest, ugliest sod at the bar answered my question to the effect...."Did you pass New Brighton Football ground?" 'Yes replies I' "then thats where you want stupid, up here Rugby League is Rugby, Rugby Union is Football, and Football is Soccer...and don't ever forget it!"..........I haven't........we lost
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
When the football world cup is on (or any football match, anywhere in the world, come to think of it), UK tv seems taken over. We have the pre-match waffle for a couple of hours, followed by ball by ball analysis after. Matches not involving any UK teams are shown on prime time tv.

When we were in the 2003 Rugby final, I seem to remember 15 mins pre-match build up for group games and a whole 30 mins for the actual final. Would love to be in NZ right now. OH says the bunting etc going up at the local mall. He says it may have been a bit slow, but it's starting to buzz now.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 3:57 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
When the football world cup is on (or any football match, anywhere in the world, come to think of it), UK tv seems taken over. We have the pre-match waffle for a couple of hours, followed by ball by ball analysis after. Matches not involving any UK teams are shown on prime time tv.
Ha - when the FOOTBALL world cup was on the Aussies transmitted 24hr a day coverage on SBS 1 and SBS 2 and we could get it in NZ. They also had it on in High Def and 3D!!!
For egg-chasing types there is a rubgy channel here to satisfy your needs and enough talk radio to make your hair curl, hours of rugger buggery every day.
But could anyone find a broadcaster showing Bulgaria-England this week?
You'll love it here, although grass roots rugby is in decline which could be terminal, just like grass roots football in the UK.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 4:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

We were travelling to New Brighton to play rugby (Union) and for all of our efforts could not find their ground. The coach driver stopped outside a big red brick built pub and muggins was sent in for directions. The biggest, ugliest sod at the bar answered my question to the effect...."Did you pass New Brighton Football ground?" 'Yes replies I' "then thats where you want stupid, up here Rugby League is Rugby, Rugby Union is Football, and Football is Soccer...and don't ever forget it!"..........I haven't........we lost
yeah most Kiwis seem to think that they invented the game and named it.
sorry guys but soccer is for yanks, kids and girls.
rugby is rugby and no amount of bullying is gonna change that.
even if it's aussies with "Socceroos" and Fooy for Aussie Rules, not that I'd argue too long with these guys - and I think your mate in the pub might defer as well:
Attached Thumbnails RWC - Triumph or flop?-aussie-rules_269436a.jpg  
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
. It's a couple of countries that take Rugby serious and anyone else that can cobble a team together. Not having a qualification for teams to enter to play proves this.
Q.How many countries attempted to qualify?

Answer: Between April 2008 and July 2010, 184 matches involving 86 nations played qualifying matches before the final 20 teams were found.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

What????????????
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Browner_
What????????????
Which bit stumped you?
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Q.How many countries attempted to qualify?

Answer: Between April 2008 and July 2010, 184 matches involving 86 nations played qualifying matches before the final 20 teams were found.
Almost all the team qualified automatically. Maybe 4 spots up for grabs. I bet I could have entered a team from The Kingdom of Barnsleyshire and got in cos some of the countries play are hardly Rugby hotspots.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Almost all the team qualified automatically. Maybe 4 spots up for grabs. I bet I could have entered a team from The Kingdom of Barnsleyshire and got in cos some of the countries play are hardly Rugby hotspots.
Doubt it, Barnsley can't scrape up enough players to make a 1/2 decent soccer team..........
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Doubt it, Barnsley can't scrape up enough players to make a 1/2 decent soccer team..........
Best side in South Yorkshire and a good Championship side on one of the lowest budgets in the Championship.

We get more fans every week than an All Blacks match in Dunedin, not bad for a small poor town surrounded with big clubs.

Being the fourth best supported league in Europe I'd say the Championship is a bigger sporting competition than the RWC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.