Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RWC - Triumph or flop?

RWC - Triumph or flop?

Old Aug 30th 2011, 1:15 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

Originally Posted by Persephone
Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest or excitement about the RWC here in Chch, in fact I can't recall anyone even mentioning that it's on - no surprises there. It just doesn't seem that important!

I will watch some matches and am considering going up to Auckland to watch a match [though more to stay with friends who are over from Sydney, they were originally going to come to Chch]
Our kids are taking odd shaped balls to school and the little un got his RWC top out this morning to take that and show it off. Plenty of me mates are off to games and a few have packages - quite a few have corporate seats and work related stuff going on. One even won a pair of final tickets with a package. So some interest around here at least.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:28 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I saw at the beginning of the month there where still about a quarter of a million tickets to sell.

If they meet their target the tournament will cost about $39m (two thirds tax payer funded), if they sold every ticket it will still cost $9m.

What always suprises me is the way tickets are priced, there is no problem selling out later games but most of the early games fail to sell. There is nothing sadder than an empty stadium.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Last time I saw at the beginning of the month there where still about a quarter of a million tickets to sell.

If they meet their target the tournament will cost about $39m (two thirds tax payer funded), if they sold every ticket it will still cost $9m.

What always suprises me is the way tickets are priced, there is no problem selling out later games but most of the early games fail to sell. There is nothing sadder than an empty stadium.
indeed
why don't they drop the prices at some point rather than waiting for a passing millionaire to decide, you know I'll go and watch Tonga play today.....
suppose they don't us unwashed up there with real fans or the mega rich????

perhaps they could sell them on TradeMe ..... ?? might make a decent price for some of those that don't get sold via Ticketmaster...???
or raffle them off ?>>>?
I mean the decent seats in all categories will have gone now so it's not such a bad look for those who've already bought????
or am I being too optimistic?
I mean if U2 can do it can't RWC Ltd do it??
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
It's a triumph for the motel owners who are charging my wife an extra $350 for her 2 trips to Wellington for her degree course at uni during the world cup.
Very annoying, especially her 2nd visit on 18-19 october, last game in Wellington is on the 9th

Thats whats killed it people will not come half way round the world to be ripped off

Flop
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I just got back from Town (Blenheim) and there are street signs in the center in Russian! Which I thought was a nice touch.....not met any Russians yet.

Although without wanting to stereotype, how do you spot a Russian in New Zealand?
Not wearing black and adequately dressed for the cold weather?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I've not heard them claim it's the third biggest sporting event. There's only a couple of matches sold out and let's face it, the stadiums are tiny for a 'World' competition.

They seem to always roll the population excuse out for embarrassing gates but NZ is similar to Scotland and they have no problems getting huge attendance for sporting events.
I'm afraid they do claim it to be the third biggest sporting event, at least NZ Rugby Union and even John Key!
"... when the Rugby World Cup, the third largest sporting event in the world, is being hosted by New Zealand"
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/electio...-says-ne-84955

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
The 2007 tournament had a cumulative world television audience of 4.2 billion for the 48 matches, with an average attendance of 47,150 per match, and a total attendance at all matches of 2,263,223 .... Hardly small fry!
Yep, small fry when compared to the World Cup, Olympics.

Even this year Cricket World Cup must rival it, figures for the final will have been larger with India v Sri Lanka, then there's Athletics World Championships, Tour de France....etc.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure it's wise to compare expected attendances with 2007, where you had perhaps two thirds of world rugby fans within a couple of hours' flight/a day's drive of the matches. NZ is not like that.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:58 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by DC10
I'm not sure it's wise to compare expected attendances with 2007, where you had perhaps two thirds of world rugby fans within a couple of hours' flight/a day's drive of the matches. NZ is not like that.
seems like the loss to the wobblies has encouraged more Aussies to pop over so there may be a few more tickets sold. which overall would be a good thing, aside from them being Aussies.....
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Just read there's still 4000 tickets available for the opening game at Eden Park, that's pi55 poor.

I'm fed up of hearing about the RWC and the All Blacks, all this fuss and they can't sell the opening game out featuring the host nation.

What's up with the locals? It wouldn't happen in any other competition in the world.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:20 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Just read there's still 4000 tickets available for the opening game at Eden Park, that's pi55 poor.

I'm fed up of hearing about the RWC and the All Blacks, all this fuss and they can't sell the opening game out featuring the host nation.

What's up with the locals? It wouldn't happen in any other competition in the world.
For someone who is fed up with the RWC you do seem to be one of the few who keeps going on about it!......
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm paying for it so I'll moan about it. Working next to Eden Park doesn't help matters and working at a printers where we're doing loads of RWC stuff doesn't help too.

All I ever see is the lie 'THE WORLD IS HERE TO PLAY' when it quite clearly isn't, im reckoning the UK won't make this much fuss for the sodding Olympics.

Aaarrrrrggggghhhhh
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

.....All I ever see is the lie 'THE WORLD IS HERE TO PLAY' when it quite clearly isn't, im reckoning the UK won't make this much fuss for the sodding Olympics.

Aaarrrrrggggghhhhh
what?
at least you could get a ticket to RWC, which seems to be only possible for London 2012 if you are minted.
4000 tickets ain't that many but I suppose they will be the poor ones in the top categories so pretty expensive and hard to shift.
the organisers should be pragmatic and stick em on TradeMe.
make the ground full so it all looks better.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
..... then there's Athletics World Championships, Tour de France....etc.
well the Tour de France is like comparing apples with pears
and have you seen how many people are in the stadium for the IAAF World Champs in Korea, probably about 1/4 full if they're lucky.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

4000 ain't that many?

It's the first game (and opening ceremony) of the host nation in a competition been said to be the 3rd biggest sporting event on Earth in a country that's supposedly rugby mad. I'd have thought the tickets would have been sold within minutes, not trying to flog em last minute.

When the locals keep bleating All Blacks this All Blacks that I'll remind them of this, they seem to get irate when I mention the half empty stadium in Dunedin the other week and not selling Eden Park out against they're biggest rivals Australia.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The opening game. Tonga v NZ.

The bottom 2 tiers of tickets are sold out obviously because they are the more affordable
Tickets are still available for the top 2 tiers
A tier - $460 a ticket
B tier - $358 a ticket.

Too dear for the average Joe Soap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.